PDA

View Full Version : Buying another OLL: CMMG or Double Star?

MilSpec.45
11-15-2006, 12:43 PM
I know all lowers are pretty much the same, but I still wanted some opinions before I buy one. I am looking at getting either a Double Star stripped lower or a CMMG stripped lower from DD's Ranch. Are these two lowers of equal quality and finish, or is one better than the other? Or should I just pick which logo I like more. All suggestions are appreciated.

Stanze
11-15-2006, 12:47 PM
They are both fine, Doublestar has a lower shelf for a DIAS in case the NFA ever gets repealed and CA ever becomes a free state.:D

After you build it and shoot the heck out of it, you won't give a crap what it say's on the side, you'll be too busying grinning that you're shooting a CA-legal AR!:)

ETA: I knew some people who bought PWA lowers when CA was a free state and they thought they were getting lower quality parts because it didn't say "Colt" or "Bushmaster" on the side, but turns out that PWA was made by LMT and is top notch stuff!

Scarecrow Repair
11-15-2006, 12:52 PM
There was a post a while back about Stag service. IIRC, if your lower gets crushed or fractured or anything else which makes it unuseable, they will replace it with one with the same serial number. I suppose they might not do that under warranty, that you would have to pay for the replacement, if it was really stupidly damaged, but the recent thread was impressive enough a warranty that I will buy Stag for any more lowers.

MilSpec.45
11-15-2006, 1:01 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I have a Stag lower already, and I would buy another one except I can only purchase from DD's Ranch and they are out of stock there. The only lowers in stock are the CMMG and the Double Star.

BTW, what is a lower shelf for DIAS?

Stanze
11-15-2006, 1:15 PM
BTW, what is a lower shelf for DIAS?

It means that you don't have to do any further machining to install a (registered and NFA transferable)Drop-in Auto Sear, of course this means nothing to CA subjects. But may help you sleep at night knowing your Doublestar would readily accept one.:p

http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/dias.html

proraptor
11-15-2006, 1:57 PM
I have a CMMG and its the nicest finish I have ever seen...Super smooth..

xrMike
11-15-2006, 2:23 PM
I have a CMMG and its the nicest finish I have ever seen...Super smooth..I have to say the same thing about the MEGA I picked up yesterday -- looks like it was cut from a block of billet with a laser. Very high quality. I have no complaints about my other one, a High Standard, it works just fine, but when you compare the 2 side by side, there is a noticeable difference in the "look" and finish.

proraptor
11-15-2006, 3:29 PM
I have to say the same thing about the MEGA I picked up yesterday -- looks like it was cut from a block of billet with a laser. Very high quality. I have no complaints about my other one, a High Standard, it works just fine, but when you compare the 2 side by side, there is a noticeable difference in the "look" and finish.

I actually compared the mega and the CMMG in person when I bought mine and quality looked the same but I still liked the finish on the CMMG better...It was smoother and less chalkboard feeling...

Cpl_Peters
11-15-2006, 4:55 PM
I actually compared the mega and the CMMG in person when I bought mine and quality looked the same but I still liked the finish on the CMMG better...It was smoother and less chalkboard feeling...

Same here, Maybe its lame but I just can't get over the "chalk board" finish on all the STAGS and MEGAs. My dealer had those and CMMG so I opted for the CMMG. IMHO it is the closest OLL to mil spec finish I have seen.

And when I say mil-spec, I mean looks like my M16A4's finish.

grammaton76
11-15-2006, 5:07 PM
CMMG and Mega are my personal favorites. :)

xrMike
11-15-2006, 6:35 PM
Same here, Maybe its lame but I just can't get over the "chalk board" finish on all the STAGS and MEGAs.Dang, I've never seen a CMMG in person yet. But if you say they're nicer than Mega's, it looks like I have to add another one to the "list". I thought I was done. Thanks a lot! :mad: :D

hoffmang
11-15-2006, 8:38 PM
This thread is guilty of forcing me to buy two more CMMGs to go with my Stags...

Grumble...

-Gene

MonsterMan
11-15-2006, 10:39 PM
I love my CMMG. It is awesome. I highly recommend it.

MM

MilSpec.45
11-15-2006, 11:38 PM
Well it looks like I'll be getting the CMMG. ;)

I should just get one of each and be done with it. :cool:

Thanks for the suggestions and input.

markymark
11-15-2006, 11:59 PM
I guess the finish on the Mega's have changed. I originally bought 3 Megas and ended up selling 1 but all three were super smooth. I believe they are teflon coated, but don't quote me on that.

Cpl_Peters
11-16-2006, 4:15 PM
Dang, I've never seen a CMMG in person yet. But if you say they're nicer than Mega's, it looks like I have to add another one to the "list". I thought I was done. Thanks a lot! :mad: :D

no problem!:D

I might go buy a stag though because my local dealer has a 6.8 marked stag or at least they did last week...

DANGERCLOSE
11-16-2006, 4:17 PM
i bought two cmmg stripped lowers directly from their website and had them shipped to my ffl. pretty good deal that they ship directly to kalifornia. i also have an lmt and would have to say that i like the cmmg finish more. just my 2cents. it cost $250 with shipping to my dealer.

Tzvia
11-16-2006, 6:19 PM
I didn't buy any CMMG's, the sorta local store had 'em but wanted too much. I bought Doublestars and Sabre Defenses instead. My brother bought a CMMG. It is very nice, but I don't see the price difference that store wanted. My 2 Doublestars were built on a CMT upper and a Bushmaster, and the fit and finish was a good match to both. I then found a closer store that had Spike Tacticals for even less so I bought 3 of those. Built one so far and it works just fine and the finish is nice, but different from the Doublestar. I then purchased two Rock Rivers because I heard they were well made and I did not want to miss getting a few. In the end, they all accepted LPKs just fine, all the holes are drilled out properly, the buffer tube screwed in with no issues and a fine black rifle was born from the ones I built up.

I don't think the brand is that big a deal. Having them vs. not having them is at this point. Something is about to happen, don't know what but I don't think the DOJ is going to crawl away in Jan leaving everything like it is now. With the holidays, they have less than a month to finalize whatever move they are going to make and I don't want to be saying "I told you so" to the folks who didn't get enough lowers.

grammaton76
11-16-2006, 6:29 PM
Take a look at CWS's prices - for some reason, the CMMGs have been consistently among their least expensive lowers.

The CMMG and Mega are my personal favs, though, of my 10 lowers.

xenophobe
11-16-2006, 7:16 PM
ETA: I knew some people who bought PWA lowers when CA was a free state and they thought they were getting lower quality parts because it didn't say "Colt" or "Bushmaster" on the side, but turns out that PWA was made by LMT and is top notch stuff!

The PWA receivers were just fine. It's just that people who bought them often bought cheap, crappy Nesard parts kits (reject, worn out and refinished, or crappy aftermarket parts) to assemble on them.

That's why PWA had a sort of stained reputation for being crap, because most of the parts were from a crap company that eventually became Model 1 Sales, M&A Parts, and another company that escapes me at the moment...

Satex
11-16-2006, 7:21 PM
Will CMMG or Mega rebuild your lower in the case it is damaged beyond repair?
I am just thinking forward to the low chance that they will get listed.

pklin1297
11-16-2006, 8:37 PM
Will CMMG or Mega rebuild your lower in the case it is damaged beyond repair?
I am just thinking forward to the low chance that they will get listed.

I think you will have better luck contacting the shop you buy your Mega(s) from than Mega Machine Shop directly for possible issues, so choose your vendor wisely...

Don't know if CMMG will replace bad and/or broken lowers, but from my few dealings directly with CMMG, they have been extremely helpful and accommodating, so I wouldn't expect anything but excellent service and solution to your issues, should you have one, with a CMMG lower.

tiki
11-16-2006, 10:12 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the Vulcan Arms carbon fiber lowers?
I was thinking about getting one. Opinions?

Satex
11-16-2006, 10:23 PM
I think you will have better luck contacting the shop you buy your Mega(s) from than Mega Machine Shop directly for possible issues, so choose your vendor wisely...

This isn't a matter the shop you purchase from can help you with. Only the manufacturer can help you with it. With my Stag, if my lower cracks, I send it back to them. They destroy it and remanufacture a new lower with the same serial number. So if CA ever requires us to register - I have a lifetime insurance on the lower.

Will CMMG and Mega do the same?

tiki
11-16-2006, 10:25 PM
With my Stag, if my lower cracks, I send it back to them. They destroy it and remanufacture a new lower with the same serial number. So if CA ever requires us to register - I have a lifetime insurance on the lower.

Wow, I didn't know that. I'm glad I picked up 2 Stags. :)

MilSpec.45
11-17-2006, 9:16 AM
Thanks for everyones help. I ended up ordering the CMMG. :cool:

Sydwaiz
11-17-2006, 9:20 AM
Oh well, too late, but I would've said DS. I have both. Both are the same mfg. just different logos. DS is the better buy and the forge mark above the pistol grip was finished better to boot.

MilSpec.45
11-17-2006, 9:24 AM
Oh well, I'm sure I'll end up getting a DS at some point. :)

Paratus et Vigilans
11-17-2006, 9:40 AM
With my Stag, if my lower cracks, I send it back to them. They destroy it and remanufacture a new lower with the same serial number. So if CA ever requires us to register - I have a lifetime insurance on the lower.

Will CMMG and Mega do the same?

Wow, that's great to know! I just went for the Stags because they do lefty uppers and I really didn't want to mix and match my uppers and lowers - my anal retentive side, you know! Guess I should read my documentation more carefully - I was so excited to get out there and send lead downrange that I missed that little detail! Thanks, Satex!