PDA

View Full Version : .22 mag revolver

Theriverjustknows
04-15-2011, 4:26 PM
I'm looking for a high capacity .22 mag revolver with at least a 4" barrel. I've seen 10 & 12 shot .22lr revolvers but how about in .22 mag. All I've found so far is Taurus' 9 shot and well its a Taurus so I'm still looking. Any suggestions?

wizard101
04-15-2011, 4:59 PM
There's probably 50-60 to choose from here in this list.

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

Enjoy................

Theriverjustknows
04-15-2011, 5:05 PM
I'm not looking for a six gun but thanks for looking. By high capacity I meant 8-10 shots of .22 mag in a revolver w/ 4" or longer barrel.

Shere Khan
04-15-2011, 7:16 PM
Heritage Arms just came out with their 9 shot .22 l/r revolvers. Check their web site and see if you can get it with a .22 wmr cylinder as well.

jackandblood
04-15-2011, 7:16 PM
saw and handled for the first time Heritagemfgs 9 shot rough rider 22lr/mag. Turners finally got one in. It was sublime. Contrasting tru-glow sights, adjustable. $300 even. Fit and finish seemed superior to their 6 shot offerings (which i already think are phenomenal for the price). I shoot my RR 6 shot alot and have gotten very proficient and fast with the SA. And with this new ammo I got my hands on (Speer Gold Dot .22 mag 1100 fps out of a two inch barrel, other thread), i'm confident in the mag cylinder for defense and extra omph at the range, and 9 shots of 22lr for casual range time... I reckon it to be easily the most versatile and fun gun in its price range. Turners just got them in. If they can shave off $35 in a future sale, ima be there cash in hand :).

killabyte
04-15-2011, 7:17 PM
I've shot a Smith & Wesson Model 48. It's owned by my father. Fun gun, but the damn chambers get fouled up so easily.

TKM
04-15-2011, 7:23 PM
I've got an 8 shot cylinder in my Single Six, Single 8, I guess.

jackandblood
04-15-2011, 7:38 PM
hows that? custom?

VegasND
04-15-2011, 7:52 PM
Mine's a 5-shooter
I'm not looking for a six gun ...
http://www.gunreports.com/media/newspics/selector/NAA_BLACK_WIDOW_0707-1_1.jpg

Shere Khan
04-15-2011, 7:56 PM
I just left San Pedro today and am now sitting in Cedar City, Utah. Brought our Rough Rider 6-1/2" with me and can't wait to find some clean, empty big outdoors area to do some plinking between here and Wisconsin.

(g-damn but it's sure fricken great to get out of Kali for a week or so)

Theriverjustknows
04-15-2011, 8:55 PM
I've got an 8 shot cylinder in my Single Six, Single 8, I guess.

hows that? custom?

This is interesting but wouldn't the pawl/timing be off going from a six to an eight shot cylinder. I'm skeptical of the fact that they are "drop in" no fitting required. Any have any feedback on these?
http://brcrifles.com/manufacture.htm

TKM
04-16-2011, 12:40 PM
I've taken mine to the range about ten times so far.

Magnum and 22LR cylinders both work fine. No sign of lead shaving in the forcing cone and I haven't had any trouble lining up the cylinder with the barrel even with rapid(ish) fire.

I'm not talented enough to notice any difference in accuracy from the factory cylinders.

If you are in San Diego and want to give it a try, I'm at P2k most weekend mornings.

Theriverjustknows
04-16-2011, 8:10 PM
If you are in San Diego and want to give it a try, I'm at P2k most weekend mornings.

Thanks for the offer but I'm in Chino and never make it down that way.

Socalman
04-18-2011, 7:46 PM
Will the 22magnum revolvers also handle 22 LR or do you have to change the cylinder?

Shere Khan
04-18-2011, 7:58 PM
Will the 22magnum revolvers also handle 22 LR or do you have to change the cylinder?

They're two different cylinders, so don't try to mix 'n match.

wormtosser
04-18-2011, 8:09 PM
I'm pretty sure my uncle's .22 mag revolver was the reason I had to get a waiver for my crappy hearing to get in the Navy. On the upside, the same hearing loss allowed me to ignore my mother-in-law many years later.

jackandblood
04-18-2011, 9:23 PM

Its highly suggested not to. According to wikipedia + heritagemfg + Ruger, .22lr cases expand in a sudden, impact-type way on initial ignition. So .22lr, which is a hundred or thousands bit smaller than .22mag may violently rupture and cause permanent damage the .22mag cylinder.

Socalman
04-19-2011, 7:49 AM
Thanks for the replies. I am still relatively new to guns and am still at the bottom of the learning curve.

Theriverjustknows
04-25-2011, 5:17 PM
I just got back from Turners in Chino hills. I had other business but I made a note to look at the different Heritage models and I need some clarification from my fellow Calgunners. The guy behind the counter told me that the 9 shot guns are only 9 shot for the LR. Meaning they come with a 9 shot LR cylinder and 6 shot magnum cylinder. He said it's impossible to have 9 shot wmr cylinder that small, you would need a bigger frame.
I think he is full of it, can anybody clarify. He refused to go get the other cylinder to check. He also said Ruger isn't making blued production guns anymore, they are special order only. That was after I asked about a Single Six.