PDA

View Full Version : Public Transportation

penciljockey
04-15-2011, 3:49 PM
I was wondering if you can take a gun on a bus or the train legally? I'd say if it's locked and ammo is separate and locked, it should be fine. I think a handgun would be easier to transport unnoticed, but a rifle might be more difficult.

CalBear
04-15-2011, 4:00 PM
Generally, it's ok, though AB 2324 pass in the last session and was signed into law by herr Schwarzenegger, and that prohibits firearms in "sterile areas" of mass transit facilities:

http://totalcapitol.com/?bill_id=200920100AB2324

Dreaded Claymore
04-15-2011, 4:29 PM
I think a handgun would be easier to transport unnoticed, but a rifle might be more difficult.

Guitar case!

berto
04-15-2011, 4:57 PM
Unloaded. Locked. It's been done before.

SJgunguy24
04-15-2011, 5:23 PM
Unloaded. Locked. It's been done before.

This, many many many many times, like everyday I go to work.

Cobrafreak
04-15-2011, 8:41 PM
I'm a Transit Operator. Ride my bus locked and loaded, I won't say a thing :)

707electrician
04-15-2011, 9:15 PM
Ammo does not need to be in a separate locked container

Purple K
04-16-2011, 2:44 AM
I remember seeing Greyhound's literature that said no weapons, and wondering if it was policy or law.

ubet
04-16-2011, 5:33 AM
No carry on amtrak, has to be checked and stored, which is COMPLETE HORSE****!

penciljockey
04-18-2011, 10:52 AM
Thanks for your replies. I talked to a cop the other day and asked him about this. He said it would be fine as long as the gun was empty and locked and ammo in separate and locked container. He said the more inconspicuous the better was his advise, but it's not illegal to transport a firearm using public transportation.

Librarian
04-18-2011, 11:25 AM
Thanks for your replies. I talked to a cop the other day and asked him about this. He said it would be fine as long as the gun was empty and locked and ammo in separate and locked container. He said the more inconspicuous the better was his advise, but it's not illegal to transport a firearm using public transportation.

He's generally right (Hooray!), except for the ammo-separate-and-locked.

Just 'unloaded' is sufficient legally.

See the wiki:
Transport - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transporting
Loaded - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Defining_loaded_in_California

penciljockey
04-18-2011, 2:03 PM
A friend of mine lives near a Metrolink terminal in LA. He wants to save money on gas and save himself the hassle of finding parking at the LA Gun Range. I've never been there so I don't really know what he's talking about. He's the one that brought this question to my attention. So far he's getting all these mixed opinions on it. He called the MTA to ask them. Bad move! They had a detective call him back to answer his questions. The detective said he has the legal right to transport the gun legally, but the MTA or Metrolink can have an officer search him and make sure he's complying with the law if suspected of having a gun. All I have to say is guitar case and back pack. I wouldn't have asked the MTA or Metrolink. Asking the police officer would have been enough for me.

penciljockey
04-18-2011, 2:04 PM
The detective also told him his questions are freaking out the MTA. LOL!

Bulleh
04-18-2011, 2:06 PM
A member here uses a locked notebook case which is pretty inconspicuous. Personally I'd want no attention if I had to bring it on a bus.

Dreaded Claymore
04-18-2011, 2:11 PM
No carry on amtrak, has to be checked and stored, which is COMPLETE HORSE****!

At least we have that provision. Until a couple of years ago, the policy was "no guns, no way, no how." Then they decided that it would probably be reasonable to allow people to declare and check their guns, just like the airlines do. About friggin' time.

penciljockey
04-18-2011, 2:17 PM
They just don't want the poor to have guns and plenty of range time it seems.

penciljockey
04-18-2011, 3:20 PM
It's legal to do, just do it in a way no one suspects you. That's my advice for more than one reason. First reason is to protect yourself against hoodlums that will jump you for your gun. The second reason is to not alarm anyone so that you don't have to deal with a cop and or the MTA or Metrolink questioning your right.

SJgunguy24
04-18-2011, 4:30 PM
At least we have that provision. Until a couple of years ago, the policy was "no guns, no way, no how." Then they decided that it would probably be reasonable to allow people to declare and check their guns, just like the airlines do. About friggin' time.

They didn't decide, it's federal law. Amtrak was just the last to comply with the law.

resident-shooter
04-18-2011, 6:57 PM
I once rode a bus in SF with an unloaded AK with a mag attached. No one sat next to me :)

Andy Taylor
04-18-2011, 9:44 PM
I once rode a bus in SF with an unloaded AK with a mag attached. No one sat next to me :)

ROFLMAO!

sixtus
04-18-2011, 11:50 PM
ROFLMAO!

lol
:smilielol5:

creekside
04-19-2011, 10:26 AM
I was wondering if you can take a gun on a bus or the train legally? I'd say if it's locked and ammo is separate and locked, it should be fine. I think a handgun would be easier to transport unnoticed, but a rifle might be more difficult.

I know people who have had occasion to query Bay Area mass transit systems on this point.

VTA, CalTrain and BART all acknowledged that an unloaded firearm in a locked container was acceptable for transport on their systems. Given the known criminal element that shares these systems with you, and a general lack of security and law enforcement presence, I would not choose to advertise that I was transporting a firearm.

penciljockey
04-20-2011, 3:21 PM
Agreed!