PDA

View Full Version : build OLLs or sell the stuff i have?

Socal858
11-14-2006, 11:58 PM
i came into the OLL scene when i had a lot less on the plate to deal wtih in terms of everything else in my life, now things have gotten busier and much more stressful on pretty much every front imaginable

now being in college & trying to get out soon, not making much, and facing lots of differing stresses, do i keep the OLLs to build later or sell em? (i do not live on campus, i know people will ask that)

i have 2 stag lowers, 1 stag LPK, 1 ambi selector, 2 A2 stocks w/ buffer, 2 MM grips. .

it just seems ridiculous at this point having expensive (to me) parts sitting around either because i cant decide on an upper, cant afford what i want, and have too much else to deal wtih.

if i were to sell, i wouldnt be leaving hte gun scene, i have a benelli supernova DROSing on the way & maybe an M2 in hte near future

id liek to hear all the opinions , give me your worst in either direction because im all ears, thanks

NeoWeird
11-15-2006, 12:27 AM
I am in a tight situation as well. I'm 22, make ~$20k a year BEFORE Taxes, work 50-60 hour weeks, going to school 10 hours a week, and I'm on a count down to when I get married.

I have purchased ~25 guns in the last two and a half years and I am the process of grabbing 5 more before the years end. It CAN be done.

What you need to do is look at what's important to you. If you got an OLL just because you want to have one in the case of a registration period, well then sell off everything but the receivers. If you like shooting but don't have the time/money then set them aside and slowly buy parts for them (trust me, if you're like me you WON'T buy all the parts at once because it's a lot of money, but saving for two week and buying a barrel, then waiting a week, saving for another week and buying an upper, etc than you will eventually get there).

Again it comes down to priorities. I've talked with friends who say they don't have money to buy a firearm when they REALLY want one....yet they go home and play video games that have a monthly charge, and go out to eat every day, and watch movies every weekend, and buy DVDs as they are released, etc. If something is important to you, than YOU will make it work.

You will know when your budget is stretched as far as it will go, so until you are drinking tap water and eating top ramen (the $0.10 bags, not the $0.25 cups) and wearing your clothes until they are showing dirt to save money on soap, washing every other day, etc. than you really do have budget to play with. Trust me, I've been there and even then it's worth it if what you are sacrificing for is what you want.

Besides, you already dumped money into a DROS, why throw that away just to do it again later? If anything save the receivers and sell everything else.

MrEd
11-15-2006, 12:48 AM
Sell sell sell Socal ( pulling out checkbook ) I will give you uhm a hundred for the whole lot :-D

My condolensces neo , when is the funeral , oops I mean the wedding , I mean the wedding I swear .

Enjoy you rfreedom while you still have it !!!

NeoWeird
11-15-2006, 12:52 AM
Sell sell sell Socal ( pulling out checkbook ) I will give you uhm a hundred for the whole lot :-D

My condolensces neo , when is the funeral , oops I mean the wedding , I mean the wedding I swear .

Enjoy you rfreedom while you still have it !!!

Yeah, no kidding, why do you think I am pushing for 5 more before the years end? I'll give you a hint, who do you think comes home from school December 20th? :eek:

adamsreeftank
11-15-2006, 1:10 AM
You guys may not have much money, but you DO have your youth, which is worth way more!

If you really need to sell, then sell. I would keep at least one lower, just in case.

JHC
11-15-2006, 4:00 AM
Keep the lowers, if you sell them now you may not be allowed to get any later, the couple of hundred bucks you could get for them probably wont change your life anyway.

DV8
11-15-2006, 5:28 AM
I'd just put everything away for when I start making money and can afford a build or at least keep the lowers and sell everything else. Other parts you can buy anytime, who knows what will happen with the whole OLL situation in the coming year though. You may not be able to buy one again.

tenpercentfirearms
11-15-2006, 5:41 AM
If you are getting ready to buy an M2, it sounds like you have plenty of money. I would just keep what you have. You know you are going to build it someday. The money you already spent on those items is spent. Just keep them. If nothing else keep the lowers. Anything can happen in the next month and a half.

tiki
11-15-2006, 5:41 AM
Yeah, I sold my Franchi SPAS-12 when I was in college. The money I got for it didn't last long. It's been about 15 years since I sold that thing and I have regretted it ever since. Hold on to you lowers. You may never have a chance to get them again.

AJAX22
11-15-2006, 6:22 AM
It doesn't sound like you have a tremendous amount tied up in your OLL's, I'd keep em. if the political scene changes, you may not be able to get them again. seriously if you sold them what could you get? 300-450? how long is that going to last... when you finish the rifles they won't loose value.

Don't sell any guns unless you just hate the gun or you're about to starve. You'll regret it in the long term and you'll spend alot more than you get for it to buy it back, that is, if the state will let you buy something that evil again.

seriously.. even if you sell the stuff for what you paid for it.. A2 stocks are about 30 bucks used with all the trimmings, MM grips are 35, lpk's are 60, ambi selectors are 25? even if you sell the lowers, you'll get at most 300 for them.

keep em, its not worth sellin them

maschronic
11-15-2006, 6:32 AM
i would keep the lowers!!! don't get rid of them. if you want to get rid of them, contact me and i'll buy them!! :)

Forever-A-Soldier
11-15-2006, 6:35 AM
In late 80s, I was young like you... struggling to get by finanically with rent and bills. Selling off a couple of weapons I figured I could always get again further down the line seemed like a good idea. No biggie, so I got rid of the following:

Norinco AKS folding stock
SPAS-12
Uzi Model B
AR-15a1

I didn't get rid of them all at once, just over about a year period because I "needed" the extra cash. I think I got a total of $1300 from the sale of them when I added it all up.

How do you think I feel about selling those off now? :mad:

FIND A WAY TO PAY FOR YOUR BILLS WITHOUT SELLING YOUR GUNS!!!!

'nuff said.

F.A.S. Out

Blacktail 8541
11-15-2006, 7:52 AM
If you are getting ready to buy an M2, it sounds like you have plenty of money. I would just keep what you have. You know you are going to build it someday. The money you already spent on those items is spent. Just keep them. If nothing else keep the lowers. Anything can happen in the next month and a half.

I agree, if you have the money for a Bennelli, you are not cashed out. The amount you would get for the parts is very small and the recievers may become irreplaceable. So just put them away for now and if your interst to build reapears as your cash flow improves you will have your bases covered.

trouble
11-15-2006, 8:47 AM
I've never met a person that was forced to sell guns who didn't regret selling each and ever single one. As many have said in this thread, at the bare minimum keep the lowers... but do what you can (a couple long weekends doing yard work) to be able to afford to keep what you've already paid for. By selling you're losing the DROS and shipping fees as well as the price differential of them being used. Keep them and you have a tangible asset.

Socal858
11-15-2006, 9:20 AM
the benelli is not something im getting right now. if i was then i would definitely, like ten percent noted, be able to easily afford rent, tuition, and uppers; that would be my pipe dream. id probably DROS an M2 after xmas when i hit some heavy overtime. i will have the supernova & 870 to hold me through, im still a shotgunner at heart

reason why i dont want to keep the lowers is that they will be expensive to build (the way i want them at least) and unless stags are listed and i can register them, ill be stuck with rifles that are barely legal and open to scrutiny by the uneducated. i dont have time or financial resources to deal with it if some idiot who doesnt know hte law tries to lock me up

no questions asked, i will register & keep them if they are listed; but it looks liek the powers that be have learned their lesson and are trying harder to screw fixed mag rifle owners rather than impose a list.

thanks for all your opinions, list em up as they come because im still all ears

xenophobe
11-15-2006, 9:59 AM
In late 80s, I was young like you... struggling to get by finanically with rent and bills. Selling off a couple of weapons I figured I could always get again further down the line seemed like a good idea. No biggie, so I got rid of the following:

Norinco AKS folding stock
SPAS-12
Uzi Model B
AR-15a1

I didn't get rid of them all at once, just over about a year period because I "needed" the extra cash. I think I got a total of $1300 from the sale of them when I added it all up.

How do you think I feel about selling those off now? :mad:

FIND A WAY TO PAY FOR YOUR BILLS WITHOUT SELLING YOUR GUNS!!!!

'nuff said.

F.A.S. Out

Yeah, I regret selling three Colt AR-15A2's, Spectre M40, SPAS-12, several Cobray M9/11s, (don't regret selling my Tec-9... it was truly a piece of crap)... I also sold my first rifle that my dad bought me when I was 14, a Norinco AK-47.

Keep the receivers. If you sell them, and if they did end up listing, you'll be upset at yourself, won't you?

Socal858
11-15-2006, 10:03 AM
Keep the receivers. If you sell them, and if they did end up listing, you'll be upset at yourself, won't you?

yea i would regret it. i would pay a friend 20 dollars to kick my *** if that happens. i really dont think theyd do that though, it really looks like theyve taken a different approach to screwing us over though

maybe ill just sell my accessories and keep my lowers

Sugarfoot47
11-15-2006, 11:31 AM
As in the above posts, you'll regret what you sell. I had a mint HK SP89 which I sold in 1992 for 1100 dollars and a Group Industries preban uzi carbine clone I sold in 1997 for 1400 with 5 mags and an extra factory wood stock. Never again. Although , you don't have to be young to have sudden financial hardships. That's why I let go of the Uzi at the time.

WolfMansDad
11-15-2006, 12:16 PM
Keep your lowers.

1. It doesn't cost anything to keep them, but it does cost money to sell them (DROS).

2. You're not going to get in trouble for having stripped lowers. If built rifles were declared contraband tomorrow, I doubt the feds would be kicking down your door to confiscate your paperweights.

3. None of us know what the future will bring, but absolutely no one is predicting future legal developments that would make it easier to get an AR. Chances are good that if you get rid of them, you will not be able to replace them.

4. If you sell them, you'll wish you hadn't and want them back a month later. If you're lucky, you get to reDROS and pay up. If not, this little loophole will be closed, and the party will be over.

shooterx10
11-15-2006, 12:52 PM
Eons ago, when I was in college, I bought a Colt AR-15 and a Sig P226. Both were my first rifle and pistol respectively. Shooting was my only expensive hobby, but I had to give up other things to do it such as eating out less, drinking less (which was probably a good thing), and going less to the movie theater. However, I did enjoy the free stuff such as mountain biking.

So, if you can, work out a budget and whenever you have the cash to build up your lowers, deals can be had on gunbroker or auctionarms. Don't forget to factor in range fees, gas to get there, and ammo! ;)

If you sell them now, you won't recoup 100% of your money back, the DROS fees are gone, and if there's a future ban on these OLLs, you just missed the boat. You'll have to move to a gun friendly state (NV, AZ, OR, etc.) in order to shoot them (legally) again.

When you said "M2," do you mean a Browning M2? :D

http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/imgs/50cal.jpg

:)

igsr96
11-15-2006, 1:44 PM
From Jeff Cooper's commentaries (http://www.dvc.org.uk/jeff/jeff1_2.html): "I have never been taken with the idea of selling a gun. When you possess a firearm, you possess something of importance. If you trade it for cash, you have lost it - and the cash in your hand will soon be gone. Sell something else!"

grammaton76
11-15-2006, 3:42 PM
unless stags are listed and i can register them, ill be stuck with rifles that are barely legal and open to scrutiny by the uneducated.

After 1/1/07, the AG loses the power to list assault weapons.

There's a lot of timid gun shops out there that are holding off on selling OLL's until after that magic "line in the sand". After 1/1/07, expect OLL's to become mainstream, and Monsterman gripped AR's to be viewed as normal, everyday items at ranges.

BTW, I notice you're in 858. You weren't going to South Bay Rod+Gun, were you? I've heard horror stories about how they treat OLL guys down there.

Iron Sights and American Shooting Center are both friendly, as are Jacumba and Project 2000.

Socal858
11-15-2006, 6:12 PM
thanks everyone. ive decided to keep the lowers. my friend steven has dibs on my other parts, i want to inflict him with black rifle/weapon disease as well (ive already talked him into an M4, itll look ncie with my supernova and future M2)

grammaton, i consider the 858 my home, though i am in the 951 for college. its my third year and i want to get done so bad. i go to bright spot pawn up here.

my buddy went to iron sights frequently, thats what inspired him to move to a free state. where are jacumba and project 2000?

grammaton76
11-15-2006, 6:16 PM
thanks everyone. ive decided to keep the lowers. my friend steven has dibs on my other parts, i want to inflict him with black rifle/weapon disease as well (ive already talked him into an M4, itll look ncie with my supernova and future M2)

Excellent, just the results we're all looking for.

grammaton, i consider the 858 my home, though i am in the 951 for college. its my third year and i want to get done so bad. i go to bright spot pawn up here.

my buddy went to iron sights frequently, thats what inspired him to move to a free state. where are jacumba and project 2000?

Jacumba is an open area out on the 8 east, I think... never been there personally but I've heard lots of good reports.

Project 2000 is in El Cajon; they have a 100 yard indoor rifle range.

Socal858
11-15-2006, 6:49 PM
wow! good info, thanks

SunriseF150
11-16-2006, 8:16 AM
Thanks for the deal on the parts ken. Yeah i've already got BRD, so too late for that though. Oh and and i'm on the phone right now ordering my 2 POF billets, 1 Fulton, and 1 Mega. :)

Socal858
11-16-2006, 9:11 AM
3rd_gear: i would definitely keep them. your imbel is a gem that isnt coming in this country ever again

steve: you are a hooker. dirty hooker. congrats on finally making your purchase you hooker. between me and you we will own benelli's entire shotgun lineup :)

stealthmode
11-16-2006, 10:36 AM
1. It doesn't cost anything to keep them, but it does cost money to sell them (DROS).

it does not cost you anything to sell a gun the buyer should pay for the dros not the seller.

you will regret selling them especially if you are never allowed to have them again in this state.