PDA

View Full Version : old question new spin

caislander
04-15-2011, 12:47 PM
Afternoon everyone

Ok i have read many great threads on parts of this subject other parts not so much and combined not at all (that I could find) so please bear with if i don't get this right;

My mother currently lives in a gun resonable state (ID) but is moving back to Calif (reads gun unreasonable state) she is gifting XDM 45 for helping her move back. So how do I do the handle the intra-familia transfer so as not to need an FFL dealer to DROS it? Can she do the transfer to me (as an intra state intra-familia) as soon as she comes back into the state or does she have first register the gun in the Calif under her name then transfer to me?

any thoughts are appreciated

Librarian
04-15-2011, 1:13 PM
New residents can dispose of their handguns without filing the new-resident forms if they sell the gun or transfer the gun according to PC 12072(f)(2). (ii)Sell or transfer the firearm in accordance with the provisions of subdivision (d) or in accordance with the provisions of an exemption from subdivision (d).

(d) says (d)Where neither party to the transaction holds a dealer's license issued pursuant to Section 12071, the parties to the transaction shall complete the sale, loan, or transfer of that firearm through a licensed firearms dealer pursuant to Section 12082.

Intrafamilial transfer is such an exemption.

Mom moves here.

Mom gives you the handgun.

You file the intrafamilial/OPLAW form.

choprzrul
04-15-2011, 1:37 PM
Librarian rocks another question with a thorough and precise answer. You sir, are a valuable member of the team and what you do is without equal.

caislander
04-15-2011, 1:38 PM
Librarian rocks another question with a thorough and precise answer. You sir, are a valuable member of the team and what you do is without equal.
Agreed :)
Thank You!!

Dreaded Claymore
04-15-2011, 3:17 PM

YA SRSLY. Thank you Librarian!

CHS
04-15-2011, 4:45 PM
Intrafamilial transfer is such an exemption.

Mom moves here.

Mom gives you the handgun.

You file the intrafamilial/OPLAW form.

And it HAS to be done in this order.

If Mom has not moved to CA yet, and gives you the gun in ID, your mom and you have violated FEDERAL firearms transfer laws.

caislander
04-15-2011, 9:48 PM
TY all

ChuangTzu
04-16-2011, 4:54 AM
While the gun may be no problem getting into your legal possession in CA, you may have trouble finding legal magazines. Just a heads up.

caislander
06-15-2011, 10:22 PM
Evening all,

I am completing the intrafamilial/OPLAW form and one of the questions is "HOW POSSESSION WAS OBTAINED" and in the explanation on the forms it has Enter the condition under which you obtained the handgun (i.e. as an executor of an estate, as a trustee in bankruptcy, as a secured creditor). for an intra-familial transfer can I simply put intra-familial? or is that just to simple :s I only ask because I would hate to get into an issue or get my family into any kind of trouble because I didn't answer some question correctly

But I must say i am a bit surprised that no where on this form does it ask me for any information on the person transferring the gun to me.

Librarian
06-15-2011, 10:33 PM
"Gift from <mother|father|grandmother|grandfather>" <pick one - mother, I believe was the prior discussion>.

I hope she likes her new place. You should find the nearest range and do some more parent-child bonding!

caislander
06-15-2011, 10:36 PM
As always thank you Librarian!!

Quser.619
06-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Make to sure to tell your mom to disassemble the magazines before crossing the state line. There is a video that covers how to permanently make the magazines 10 rounders. Once you've done one & used it, the pain does diminish...

I know, have an XDm 40 from ID as well

caislander
07-07-2011, 9:03 AM
Last question here, I processed this paperwork to the state last month via certified mail and I can verify that it was accepted but looking at my bank statment I dont see they have cashed the check. Not sure if I should be worried or just assume that it is processing at the normal speed of state paperwork :confused:

Do I receive anything back from the state as a verification or can I assume that no news is not bad news?

boxbro
07-07-2011, 9:19 AM
Librarian rocks another question with a thorough and precise answer. You sir, are a invaluable member of the team and what you do is without equal.

FTFY

Decoligny
07-07-2011, 9:24 AM
While the gun may be no problem getting into your legal possession in CA, you may have trouble finding legal magazines. Just a heads up.

Gee, took me all of 7 seconds to find 10 round magazines for the XDM 45. :rolleyes:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=519600

caislander
07-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Gee, took me all of 7 seconds to find 10 round magazines for the XDM 45. :rolleyes:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=519600You can also get them from Pistol Gear store (http://www.pistolgear.com/products.php?id=47)

Mr. Beretta
07-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Last question here, I processed this paperwork to the state last month via certified mail and I can verify that it was accepted but looking at my bank statment I dont see they have cashed the check. Not sure if I should be worried or just assume that it is processing at the normal speed of state paperwork :confused:

Do I receive anything back from the state as a verification or can I assume that no news is not bad news?

My son received a DOJ letter 30 days after we did a inter family transfer. Hang on, it should show up soon.

Good Luck