PDA

View Full Version : AR15 Conversion Kit

oldsmoboat
04-15-2011, 8:45 AM
I have a BCM upper/lower 5.56.
I'd like to get a .22 conversion kit. BCM sells a CMMG kit that is out of stock.
Are all conversion kits the same or do I have to stick to a specific brand?
TIA

Super Spy
04-15-2011, 9:00 AM
I have a Ceiner kit I bought here used and it works great, groups are pretty good too.

shadow65
04-15-2011, 11:44 AM
Stick with a CMMG stainless kit. It's the best running with more features at the moment.
Dave N

Marsoc1
04-15-2011, 12:12 PM
+1 for cmmg http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/item/India-.22-Evolution-Conversion-Kit-w-25-Round-Magazine-1706 best kit ive seen for a 22 conversion minus the 25 rd mag

Exile Machine
04-15-2011, 12:15 PM
We have the CMMG kits (https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=54&products_id=625) on our secure online store. We disassemble the 25 round mag into a rebuild kit at no extra charge for CA compliance. Proceeds from sales on our store go toward developing CA compliance devices for the AR-15.

chesterthehero
04-15-2011, 4:41 PM
ive got a spikes kit.. to date ive had one malfunction and that was after it went about 600 rounds of remington golddustcrap.. i had a weak round that failed to eject and gave me a doublefeed..
using federal bulk ive put two full boxes through it with nothing more than a boresnake after the first box

oldsmoboat
04-15-2011, 5:26 PM
Is the standard "H" buffer OK for a kit?

chesterthehero
04-16-2011, 5:41 AM
buffer does not matter because the kit does not cycle the same as a standard bolt.. the kit itself splits in half to cycle and has its own buffer spring assembly..
there once upon a time was a decent video on youtube that showed the kit being hand cycled.. as fancy as it is once you see the kit in action you will go "o cool.. woah thats simple.. thats so cool.. why do i not have one for each AR.. im paying $200 for this.. ehh it does make pay for itself the first time ok... dood i love this thing"

donw
04-16-2011, 6:17 AM
www.spikestactical.com...

oldsmoboat
04-16-2011, 8:21 AM
Thanks for the input.
I ordered the stainless CMMG from shadow65, and an anti-jam charging handle.

oldsmoboat
04-17-2011, 7:27 AM
One more question.
When the .22 bolt is in, is the AR15 now considered a "rimfire rifle" making it legal to use an attached bullet button tool? Or is that only legal with a dedicated upper?

Something like this:
http://www.riflegear.com/p-489-ar15-bullet-button-wrench.aspx

http://www.riflegear.com/images/Product/medium/489.jpg

23 Blast
04-17-2011, 8:47 AM
I've read (via wikipedia) that the diameter of .22LR is .223 while the actual diameter of a .223 round is .224. Does the thousandth-inch difference have any bearing on the accuracy of .22LR going through your AR? What about barrel wear using bullets somewhat smaller than what the bore was designed for?

I didn't realize until just now that conversion kits existed for the AR - I always thought you had to get a dedicated upper to shoot .22LR, similar to having to swap uppers to shoot any other caliber. I would like to get a conversion kit, just so I could bring my AR to the indoor range and get more trigger time with it.

oldsmoboat
04-17-2011, 9:13 AM
From what I've read, the accuracy suffer a little. Don't know about barrel wear.

G1500
04-17-2011, 9:24 AM
One more question.
When the .22 bolt is in, is the AR15 now considered a "rimfire rifle" making it legal to use an attached bullet button tool? Or is that only legal with a dedicated upper?

Something like this:
http://www.riflegear.com/p-489-ar15-bullet-button-wrench.aspx

http://www.riflegear.com/images/Product/medium/489.jpg

You do not need a bullet button for rimfire cartridges, only centerfire. There can be some confusion from uneducated people/LEOs, but as long as it is rimfire, you can use a mag magnet, BB wrench, or whatever you wish to drop your mags.

I would make sure to remove the Mag magnet/mag release/BB tool before you remove the .22 conversion. Once you put the .223 bolt back in and still have a standard mag release, you have created an unregistered AW.

I've read (via wikipedia) that the diameter of .22LR is .223 while the actual diameter of a .223 round is .224. Does the thousandth-inch difference have any bearing on the accuracy of .22LR going through your AR? What about barrel wear using bullets somewhat smaller than what the bore was designed for?

I didn't realize until just now that conversion kits existed for the AR - I always thought you had to get a dedicated upper to shoot .22LR, similar to having to swap uppers to shoot any other caliber. I would like to get a conversion kit, just so I could bring my AR to the indoor range and get more trigger time with it.

From what I've read, the accuracy suffer a little. Don't know about barrel wear.

I have never shot a conversion kit, but I wouldn't think that it has any affect on the barrel wear. I personally use a dedicated upper, but I will also be getting a conversion kit for other rifles, as well as pistols.

I think the problem with accuracy is that most people have 1 in 7 or 9 twist, and since .22lr is such a small bullet it is better to have 1:12 twist. I have never compared the two together to measure accuracy, but it would be an interesting comparison.

shadow65
04-17-2011, 10:37 AM
The conversion is not going to harm your .223 barrel. It will get dirty so it needs to be cleaned. I run a boresnake after 300-500 rounds, then fire 5 rounds of .223 to blow out the gunk from the gas system.
Properly clean when I get home.
Accuracy from a conversion depends on the particular barrel and twist. 1/9 gives about 1-1.5" at 25 yards.
1/7 a little less. Good enough for training and plinking.
The dedicated upper will cut those groups in half.

The military has used the kits for a long time as trainers.
Dave N

RawImpact
04-17-2011, 11:32 AM
.22 is stable with a 1/7 twist? I don't think so...

Don't get me wrong, i dont have the kit or any experience with them, but i'm pretty sure 1/9 or maybe 1/8 is best. 1/7 might cause the bullet to tumble

shadow65
04-17-2011, 4:32 PM
I can tell you I've used my 1/8 with a conversion and a TAC 65 with no baffle strikes. But I always check without the can first for tumbling or key holing on the target.
There are a lot of guys using conversions with 1/7 and I've not received any reports of key holing.
Dave