PDA

View Full Version : ID for magazines?

Agent Akin
04-15-2011, 9:29 AM
Greetings!

So a while while back I was introducing some aquaintences to shooting, and we encountered some issues with folks being intimidated by the way all my handguns are full-powered. Even my "compact" pistol is a freaking .45... what would have been nice is if I had a decent .22 pistol for breaking in noobs... I use my 10/22 to introduce folks to long arms, after all.

Snce I didn't own any .22 pistols, I decided to rectify the situation (for folks following my other "current" thread, yeah, I could have borrowed my buddy's Beratta .22, sans holster...hehehe...but it's a little tiny thing, not what I would want to teach folks on.

So I bought a 22/45. Now, a while back, thanks to Bill Ruger's political activities, I swore I'd never buy another Ruger firearm, but, well, he's gone, and I've not heard of the company acting up since then, so I figured, what the hell.

Anyway, so the other day I went to pick it up, at a large gun store in west-LAish regions that desperately needs a bigger parking lot.

I also decided I wanted a spare magazine.

Since I'd paid for the 22/45 in full, all I had to do was sign for it... the entire transaction for the firearm was completed before I decided I wanted an additional magazine.

The guy went back and got one, and I handed him my credit card to pay for it. He then asked for my driver's license... I didn't think anything of it, since my credit card doesn't have my picture on it. I figured he was just verifying my identity, which was refreshing since so few business actually do that.

But no, he didn't even look at my DL, he just ran it through a card reader and handed it back to me, then ran my credit card through another one and finished the transaction.

When I asked him why he ran my DL through the separate reader, he told me that it was recording my info "for the magazine sale".

When I responded with a clever "huh?", he said it was state law to record all magazine sales.

Now, I'm fair certain I would have heard something about this, were it true.

Has anyone else ever heard of anything like that, or encountered it anywhere?

Thanks...

Noobert
04-15-2011, 9:31 AM
I've never heard of it?

Don29palms
04-15-2011, 9:35 AM
FUD! It might be company policy.

wkd4496
04-15-2011, 9:36 AM
:fud:

mj1
04-15-2011, 9:37 AM
He just stole your ID

JaeFern
04-15-2011, 9:38 AM
Bought a couple spares for my sig a couple weeks ago and I was never asked for my DL. Me debit card has my picture on it too. What would they even track? The amount of magazines you buy? "we have a code 13859 guys, this guy now owns 20 pistol magazines for his glock. He must be getting ready to do something illegal."
Weird man, I don't know what to tell ya.

tangent
04-15-2011, 9:57 AM
I recently purchased a few mags and didn't have to show any Id. Sounds weird, never heard of such a law.

leelaw
04-15-2011, 10:31 AM
Only large capacity magazine purchases need to be recorded. FUD

C&Rtrader
04-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Never even heard of that. Sorry you had to go through it.

k1dude
04-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Only large capacity magazine purchases need to be recorded. FUD

This is FUD too. Large capacity magazines do not need to be recorded. There is no recording requirement for ANY magazines that I'm aware of.

JJ1911
04-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Magazines sales are not required to be recorded any differently than if you were buying captain crunch.

leelaw
04-15-2011, 11:08 AM
This is FUD too. Large capacity magazines do not need to be recorded. There is no recording requirement for ANY magazines that I'm aware of.

I should have clarified for the im/exportation, but yeah, it does exist:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/propregs.pdf

978.43 Large Capacity Magazine Permit Record Keeping
Permittees shall maintain acquisition and disposition transaction records of the importation and exportation of large capacity magazines. Records shall include transaction date, transaction volume; and the name, address, and Federal Firearms License number (if any) of the out of state transferee or transferor. Records must be maintained at the dealership for three years and be made available to representatives of the Department of Justice or any other law enforcement agency upon request.

k1dude
04-15-2011, 11:17 AM

I understand this is a documentation requirement for FFL dealers that have a high-cap stamp. There's no recording requirement for a citizen layman that I'm aware of.

leelaw
04-15-2011, 11:20 AM
The CA FFL with a LCM permit needs to make the notations of where they're importing the magazines from, and where they're exporting them to, whether from/to an individual or dealer. Laymen aren't dealing in LCMs (the simple offering of them for sale without a LCM permit being a crime) so obviously they have no recording requirement.

J.D.Allen
04-15-2011, 11:54 AM
I just bought two 10 rounders for my new CZ and all I got was a smile.

MultiCaliber
04-15-2011, 4:27 PM
:fud:

And it seems a little sketchy, too.

Agent Orange
04-15-2011, 4:39 PM
The OP may want to read this:

http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs15-mt.htm#2

Wherryj
04-15-2011, 6:37 PM
Magazines sales are not required to be recorded any differently than if you were buying captain crunch.

Are you trying to tell me that giving that guy at Safeway my Social Security card and ATM PIN number when I bought my last box of Captain Crunch just might not have been required information?

Max008
04-15-2011, 8:21 PM
Greetings!

So a while while back I was introducing some aquaintences to shooting, and we encountered some issues with folks being intimidated by the way all my handguns are full-powered. Even my "compact" pistol is a freaking .45... what would have been nice is if I had a decent .22 pistol for breaking in noobs... I use my 10/22 to introduce folks to long arms, after all.

Snce I didn't own any .22 pistols, I decided to rectify the situation (for folks following my other "current" thread, yeah, I could have borrowed my buddy's Beratta .22, sans holster...hehehe...but it's a little tiny thing, not what I would want to teach folks on.

So I bought a 22/45. Now, a while back, thanks to Bill Ruger's political activities, I swore I'd never buy another Ruger firearm, but, well, he's gone, and I've not heard of the company acting up since then, so I figured, what the hell.

Anyway, so the other day I went to pick it up, at a large gun store in west-LAish regions that desperately needs a bigger parking lot.

I also decided I wanted a spare magazine.

Since I'd paid for the 22/45 in full, all I had to do was sign for it... the entire transaction for the firearm was completed before I decided I wanted an additional magazine.

The guy went back and got one, and I handed him my credit card to pay for it. He then asked for my driver's license... I didn't think anything of it, since my credit card doesn't have my picture on it. I figured he was just verifying my identity, which was refreshing since so few business actually do that.

But no, he didn't even look at my DL, he just ran it through a card reader and handed it back to me, then ran my credit card through another one and finished the transaction.

When I asked him why he ran my DL through the separate reader, he told me that it was recording my info "for the magazine sale".

When I responded with a clever "huh?", he said it was state law to record all magazine sales.

Now, I'm fair certain I would have heard something about this, were it true.

Has anyone else ever heard of anything like that, or encountered it anywhere?

Thanks...

Was this gun store, kitty corner from a mosque and across from a 7-11??

nukechaser
04-15-2011, 9:15 PM
The OP may want to read this:

http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs15-mt.htm#2

THIS!

I absolutely refuse to show ID when using my MasterCard or Visa.

I ask the clerk, "So, how does showing my complete name, billing address, and date of birth AFTER you've seen my three-digit security code on the back to every cashier in town protect my identity from theft? You now have everything necessary to run up my card as if you were me."

Of course I get the "deer in the headlights" blank stare...

For those who write "see ID" on the back of your card, guess what? You card is not valid! (as per the terms of service) Unless, of course, your name happens to be "see ID".

There is a reason for the signature panel. They are supposed hold your card and compare it to your signature on the receipt. If it seems hinky to them, there are methods in place where they can flag it for potential fraud.

If they continue to gripe about it I usually ask them, "Have you ever eaten in a nice restaurant and paid with your credit card?" Usually they say, "Sure." Then I ask, "Did they ask for ID after you bought a complete meal for your family upwards of a hundred dollars?" The pause is quite pregnant... I then follow up with, "And you're busting my chops for a $15 pizza?"

For those who would be wondering if I have ever walked away from a purchase because they continue to demand ID, yes, many times. (side note... the manager at the IHOP where we often go after church thanked me after looking into it and told me she now has instructions posted for her employees to not violate the "Merchant Terms of Service" by asking for ID... got a breakfast "on the house" for my efforts)

Both Visa and MaserCard have web pages available where you can report merchants who are not in compliance with their terms of service.

Back to the OP's issue... I would have refused to show ID to use my credit card and told them to pound sand (politely).

SanPedroShooter
04-15-2011, 9:17 PM
He's talking about Martin Retting in culver city. While it will always have a fond spot in my heart, they have been big time FUD perpetrators. They finally jumped on the black rifle bandwagon about six months ago and for all their experiance (they've been there for 50+ years) they seem to be a little slow on the facts and fast on the B.S. Just chalk this up to another example...

CSACANNONEER
04-15-2011, 9:32 PM

The way I read this is that a holder of a LCM permit only needs to keep records of mags imported into or exported out of Ca. It does not say a thing about retail or wholesale sales to other LCM holders inside the state. Nor does it mention having to keep records of those sold to LEOs in the state. Can someone please correct me if I missed something.

Agent Akin
04-15-2011, 9:53 PM
Well, I guess they'll be moving way down on my list of places to do business with... when I went down there, I actually just intended to handle and compare the plain Mk.III with the 22/45, and since they were the only place I could find who had any Ruger .22s in stock at all when I called around, and they were asking a "normal" price, I figured, what the hell...

Live and learn...

Agent Akin
04-15-2011, 9:54 PM
Was this gun store, kitty corner from a mosque and across from a 7-11??

hehe... ayup, that's the one...