PDA

View Full Version : ** MidwayUSA SYSTEM ISSUE FIXED ** MidwayUSA declined shipping ammo citing AB962

MrBrent
04-15-2011, 7:48 AM
I got an email from Midway this morning that had a good deal on ammo so I placed an order and during checkout I got a message stating they can't ship to me citing AB962. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I just got ammo from Cabela's last week no problem. I called customer service and they were going to look into it but didn't have any answers really. I asked that they get back to me and they promised they would. Has anyone been able to purchase handgun ammo from Midway since 962 was struck down??

Wernher von Browning
04-15-2011, 8:01 AM
Just sent the following to the president of Midway. I had asked about this very subject about a month ago, and got back the reply appended at the bottom.

=========================

Dear Mr. Potterfield,

This is exactly what I was afraid of -- left hand not speaking to right hand.

Today, on our Calguns forum, a member posted the following:

MidwayUSA declined shipping ammo citing AB962
I got an email from Midway this morning that had a good deal on ammo so I placed an order and during checkout I got a message stating they can't ship to me citing AB962. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I just got ammo from Cabela's last week no problem. I called customer service and they were going to look into it but didn't have any answers really. I asked that they get back to me and they promised they would. Has anyone been able to purchase handgun ammo from Midway since 962 was struck down??

The so-called "California handgun ammunition ban" NEVER WENT INTO EFFECT. A judge struck it down, for good, way back in January. I'm stunned that this has not sunk in yet among all retailers, especially a major retailer such as yourself.

Dang. I was going to celebrate my tax refund with a large order (none of it for ammo), but if that's the way Midway's going to be, I'm going to move all that stuff to the Graf's shopping cart. They most definitely DO ship ammo to California and I believe in supporting the retailers who support us.

Background on California AB 962:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Assembly_Bill_962_%282009%29

On 3/18/2011 6:48 AM, Presidential Customer Comments wrote:
> I actually was heavily involved with the NRA during the fight to get
> this legislation overturned, and like to think my testimony for the
> judge helped convince him it was unconstitutional. Just goes to show you
> can't believe everything you read on the internet! As a family and as a
> business, my wife Brenda and I have always supported the NRA and the
> ongoing struggle to maintain our rights.
> http://www.midwayusa.com/General.mvc/Index/NRASupport Thanks for taking
> the time to sound off so I could clarify this. Back over thirty years
> ago when I first opened the gunshop that evolved into MidwayUSA, I had a
> coffee pot in the corner and a gun counter to lean on and talk to
> customers. Since we closed the retail store years ago and went strictly
> catalog/internet sales, I have missed that interaction with customers.
> That's why I publish my email address...it's my virtual gun counter so I
> can still stay in touch with my customers.
>
> Thanks For Your Business,
>
> Larry Potterfield
> Founder/CEO
> MidwayUSA
> NRA Benefactor Member

Which Way Out
04-15-2011, 8:02 AM
I get .223 now and then with no issues

napalmspork
04-15-2011, 8:04 AM
i just recieved an order yesterday

Wernher von Browning
04-15-2011, 8:06 AM

Just for the record, can you post a copy of the E-mail? Especially the "from" address to confirm it's not, say... Midsouth Shooters Supply... :D

Meanwhile my Violet Torpedo of Tooth is on its way already.

fuenstock
04-15-2011, 8:10 AM
I got my midaway ammo order yesterday, no problems at all. Must be a mistake on Midways part?

G60
04-15-2011, 8:14 AM
I'm guessing it's a mistake too.
this link might help them:
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=6145&issue=

Wernher von Browning
04-15-2011, 8:17 AM
I got my midaway ammo order yesterday, no problems at all. Must be a mistake on Midways part?

I can just see a software error. There's something left on the record for some particular ammo part number that says it can't ship to CA -- meanwhile other ammo has had that flag removed. The person taking the order probably doesn't know anything except what appears on their monitor.

What was the ammo, in particular the Midway stock number (their "product number"), that triggered this?

MrBrent
04-15-2011, 8:28 AM
Here is a screen shot of my order this morning. Up in the top right corner is todays date from the McAfee virus check. I agree this is probably a system error on their part. I haven't ordered handgun ammo from then since the law was struck and wanted to know if others had run into this. I hope they fix it soon.

http://gkosin.smugmug.com/photos/i-3fnqSwT/0/L/i-3fnqSwT-L.jpg

Wernher von Browning
04-15-2011, 8:34 AM
Thank you. That pretty much nails it down...

Wernher von Browning
04-15-2011, 8:36 AM
Aaaaand... Here's the very fast response from Midway.

Larry is out of the office today and he asked me to keep an eye on his email in his absence. I am glad he did, so I could put this to rest. This is an isolated case; we got a limited amount of Ranger SXT ammunition and put it on sale. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=470924 In our haste to get it to market, it was not coded into our computer correctly and the destination restriction was showing up for California. This was human error on this one box of ammo, not in any way tied to AB 962 which Larry helped defeat. Hopefully my IT guys have the coding fixed by now and it is available, and I certainly apologize for the confusion on this.

On Behalf of Larry, Thanks For Your Business,

Eric Ellingson

Contact Center Supervisor

MidwayUSA
NRA Endowment Member

Winchester67
04-15-2011, 8:36 AM
Ding Ding Ding! You are correct, it was a mistake. Turns out this ammo was not something they usually carry, and someone didn't code the new product in right. The problem has been corrected, and this ammo can be sold to California addresses now.

MrBrent
04-15-2011, 8:43 AM
Aaaaand... Here's the very fast response from Midway.

Larry is out of the office today and he asked me to keep an eye on his email in his absence. I am glad he did, so I could put this to rest. This is an isolated case; we got a limited amount of Ranger SXT ammunition and put it on sale. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=470924 In our haste to get it to market, it was not coded into our computer correctly and the destination restriction was showing up for California. This was human error on this one box of ammo, not in any way tied to AB 962 which Larry helped defeat. Hopefully my IT guys have the coding fixed by now and it is available, and I certainly apologize for the confusion on this.

On Behalf of Larry, Thanks For Your Business,

Eric Ellingson

Contact Center Supervisor

MidwayUSA
NRA Endowment Member

Just ran the order again and it went through!! Thanks for your help on this:D It pays to know the right people.
This is why I love this forum.

Wernher von Browning
04-15-2011, 8:47 AM
Hey, Mr. Brent.

Just got an Emil (Emil is the little postal clerk who runs around inside my computer) with the following. Any chance you can go back to your original post and edit the subject line?

=========

Thanks for the heads up! Anytime you see anything that does not look right, feel free to give me a call; they can transfer you off the 1-800-243-3220 toll free number to extension 4903. I am up here about all the time, as after all it is not really like a job talking and being around the gun hobby all day! I just wish they would change that headline on the forum now…

GutPunch
04-15-2011, 9:47 AM
Heh. Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered 500 rounds of 147gr SXTs :) I love midway!

Scott Connors
04-15-2011, 12:16 PM
I ordered some Federal low-recoil 00 buck and Black Hill Mk 262 5.56mm ammo from Midway this week; it shipped yesterday.

otteray
04-15-2011, 7:43 PM
I'm going to show my support and thanks to Larry P. at Midway by making yet another ammo or gun parts order from his site.
Let's all show support for vendors like Midway that care about California customers.

navyinrwanda
04-17-2011, 6:29 PM
MidwayUSA still won't ship ammo (handgun or rifle) to addresses in the City of Oakland.

IrishPirate
04-17-2011, 6:36 PM
Ding Ding Ding! You are correct, it was a mistake. Turns out this ammo was not something they usually carry, and someone didn't code the new product in right. The problem has been corrected, and this ammo can be sold to California addresses now.

why don't they remove the AB962 code from their system rather than coding new items to bypass it? it's been struck down so there's no reason to have it in their system.......

furyous68
04-17-2011, 8:31 PM
MidwayUSA still won't ship ammo (handgun or rifle) to addresses in the City of Oakland.

Pretty sure that is probably because of local restrictions like in Los Angeles & San Francisco.

Wernher von Browning
04-17-2011, 8:34 PM
Pretty sure that is probably because of local restrictions like in Los Angeles & San Francisco.

Nope. Done. Finished. Taken care of. Computer glitch. Order early and often.

Wernher von Browning
04-17-2011, 8:53 PM

That's 'cause the li'l darlin's of Oakland is special, they are.

The Feds have a handy dandy little book (499 pages) of laws all over the country.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-5/atf-p-5300-5.pdf

Search for Oakland and you get some of the most hilarious micromanaging regulations you can imagine. So Midway is forced to act this way by the blessed and oh-so-safe city of Oakland. See page 70 onward. Specifically, page 72, under the glorious heading of

Title 9. Public Peace, Morals and Welfare

"Vendor" means any individual, person, gun
dealer, store, firm or corporation selling ammunition
within the city of Oakland.

Chapter 9.20. Ammunition Sales Registration

Every vendor who sells ammunition in the city
shall maintain a record of ammunition sales as
prescribed by this chapter. The record shall be
maintained on the vendor's premises, on forms
supplied by, or approved by, the Oakland Police
Department (OPD). An ammunition purchaser
must provide to the vendor and the vendor shall
record the following information:
A. The date of the transaction;
B. The purchaser's name, address and date
of birth;
C. The purchaser's valid driver's license number
or other identification number from a valid
photographic I.D. such as a passport;
D. The brand of ammunition purchased;
E. The type and amount of ammunition purchased;
and
F. The purchaser's signature and vendor's initials.

The information required to be recorded shall
be maintained in chronological order by date of
sale of the ammunition and shall be retained on
the business premises of the vendor for a period
not less than two years following the date of the
recorded sale of the ammunition.
Oakland police officers may enter a vendor's
premises during regular business hours for the
purpose of examining, inspecting or copying
records required by this chapter.
9.20.050. Violation - Penalty. It is unlawful
for any vendor engaged in the retail sale of
ammunition in Oakland to knowingly make a
false entry in, or fail to make appropriate entry,
or fail to properly maintain any such record, or
refuse to immediately provide the ammunition
sales log for inspection to a police officer upon
request.
Violation of any provision of this chapter shall
be a misdemeanor, subject to fines and penalties
as provided by law. Additionally, failure to
abide by the requirements of this chapter shall
be grounds for the revocation of a vendor's firearms
dealer license, pursuant to Chapter 5.26 of
this code.

navyinrwanda
04-17-2011, 9:21 PM
Nope. Done. Finished. Taken care of. Computer glitch. Order early and often.

Wrong.

It'd bad enough that cities like Oakland, San Francisco and Los Angeles have ordinances that regulate the sale of ammunition. But it's even worse when out-of-state vendors – who are not “selling ammunition within the City of Oakland” – misinterpret these ordinances as applying to them.

But it's really bad when those who claim to stand on the side of gun rights refuse to acknowledge that any of this is even happening.

otteray
04-18-2011, 6:52 PM
Wrong.

It'd bad enough that cities like Oakland, San Francisco and Los Angeles have ordinances that regulate the sale of ammunition. But it's even worse when out-of-state vendors – who are not “selling ammunition within the City of Oakland” – misinterpret these ordinances as applying to them.

But it's really bad when those who claim to stand on the side of gun rights refuse to acknowledge that any of this is even happening.

How is it "worse" that out-of state vendors get confused by or cautious of, purposely made confusing local ordinances from a far away, bizarre country like the Twilight Zone known as Kalifornia??

Bart1
04-19-2011, 8:33 AM
I couldn't even buy bullets/projectiles from Midway. Sad, I really liked their shipping and customer service.