PDA

View Full Version : Bayonets in California

LECTRIKHED
11-14-2006, 8:16 PM
I've read several conflicting reports as to the legality of bayonets mounted on rifles in California. Some say it is illegal and that makes it an AW, but in the CA AW guide it states that bayonets are not an AW feature. I'm not looking for legal advice, but can people please clarify this issue for me. Specifically, I am interested in mounting a bayonet on my SU-16CA, but wish to stay on the correct side of the law. Also do the older AR-15 style bayonets violate any California knife laws>

ohsmily
11-14-2006, 8:18 PM
It is not an AW feature. Bayonets and bayonet lugs are not "evil" features as per CA law.

blkA4alb
11-14-2006, 8:19 PM
Mount all the evil knives you would like on it ;) .

PIRATE14
11-14-2006, 8:23 PM
I've read several conflicting reports as to the legality of bayonets mounted on rifles in California. Some say it is illegal and that makes it an AW, but in the CA AW guide it states that bayonets are not an AW feature. I'm not looking for legal advice, but can people please clarify this issue for me. Specifically, I am interested in mounting a bayonet on my SU-16CA, but wish to stay on the correct side of the law. Also do the older AR-15 style bayonets violate any California knife laws>

FIX BAYO and Charge.......................

grammaton76
11-14-2006, 8:25 PM
I've read several conflicting reports as to the legality of bayonets mounted on rifles in California. Some say it is illegal and that makes it an AW, but in the CA AW guide it states that bayonets are not an AW feature.

Probably not on here... we tend to yell at people real fast when they think bayonets are bad. I think Calguns has saved more bayonet lugs from dremel-death than any other website since the federal AWB!

Guns R Tools
11-14-2006, 9:10 PM
All the drive by bayonetting caused Federal AWB. :D

But CA is cool with it.

Fate
11-14-2006, 9:39 PM
Some ranges have issues with mounted bayonets. I know Angeles won't allow them (not even extending SKS or M44 ones). I guess bayonets are more dangerous than bullets. :rolleyes:

leelaw
11-14-2006, 9:44 PM
Even better, get one for your handgun! http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=41613

PanzerAce
11-14-2006, 10:23 PM
damnit, I dont remember where, but I think I recall see a 1911 that had the guide rod extended and sharpened down to a spike at the very front...looked awesome. Pointless, but awesome.

metalhead357
11-14-2006, 10:49 PM
All the drive by bayonetting caused Federal AWB. :D

But CA is cool with it.

Yep so you can go stab happy (stabbity stab stab) with the pig stickers on...well....lil' piggies out in the field that refuse to comply and lay down and die after ya' shot e'm with such a wimpy round like the .223:p

MrEd
11-15-2006, 1:53 AM
what bayonets are legal ?? oh shoot now I have to get myself one of them Mc Gyver bayonets , you know those that fit all gun and all uses , oh wait maybe the fork or cork screw counts as an evi feature in CA ? any input

DANGERCLOSE
11-15-2006, 7:43 AM
I Am Going To Get One For My Mossberg M590a1, Hell Yeah!:d

M1A Rifleman
11-15-2006, 8:01 AM
I Am Going To Get One For My Mossberg M590a1, Hell Yeah!:d

They are OK in CA, but if I recall there is an older federal law regarding installation of bayonets on rifles - (no this has nothing to do with the federal AW ban that expired), this law was years previous. However, I doubt it has ever been enforced. Maybe someone can do a search.

More imporatant though, where did you get your 590A1 danger close as I'm in the market??:D

Gromulin
11-15-2006, 8:45 AM
Bayonets are essential for Motivational Speaking.

ivanimal
11-15-2006, 9:18 AM
damnit, I dont remember where, but I think I recall see a 1911 that had the guide rod extended and sharpened down to a spike at the very front...looked awesome. Pointless, but awesome.

My son is like a linebacker, every time we go to a gunshow he wants one of those double swords that set into each others handle and make a club.
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000BKIY0C.01-AGCM6G4XPZCZQ._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
I keep trying to discourage such juvenile behavior, but, the fact is I really want one for myself.:p

Ubergeek
11-15-2006, 10:28 AM
So long as you're not caught on the Western Front with a saw-backed bayonet - otherwise the French will cry foul.

"It's a long way to Tipperary ... "

MrJayJay
11-15-2006, 3:33 PM
all fixed blade knifes are legal in ca. so any bayonett will be legal. its the swtch blades and butterfly knifes you have to worry about in ca. funny thing is you can buy them online.

got to love bayonets now i need to get a m9 bayonet damn ar15 build.

rorschach
11-15-2006, 3:52 PM
got to love bayonets now i need to get a m9 bayonet damn ar15 build.

I would rather have an original M7, or the new Ontario USMC bayonet. The M9 was a POS.

Scarecrow Repair
11-15-2006, 4:49 PM
For many years, going to various Scottish Games to watch big men in skirts throwing telephone poles around, I toyed with the idea of getting a rifle rack for my car (MR2, 2 seater with a rear window like a pickup) and putting a sword in it. I asked several cops, all of them thought it silly, but said the blade was long enough to be legal, it wouldn't be concealed, and they sure wouldn't stop me for it.

So I did ... got the flashiest sword that would fit. Put one of those stickon rifle racks in because I didn't want to punch holes in the firewall (mid engine car), and tootled around like that for several years. Biggest problem was the hilt side being heavier eventually knocked that side loose, and two replacements gave up the ghost too, so I eventually just gave up.

And I only got one reaction to it. At a red light, the car behind me was driven by some teenybopper with the most bored expression you could imagine. I think driving daddy's car, bored with such a mundane life as she had, that was the look on her face. Suddenly she jerked forward to see better, staring right at the sword, lifted her sunglasses for a better look ... and the light changed, I took off, and she fumbled trying to get going and then catch up. Never did :-)

Back to some better subject -- what would be the legal status f something like that today? Especially my morning commute goes right by a school -- or just parking in general near a school to stop in at a store. I wonder also about shooting up plastic juice and milk jugs, when I go by a recycling bin across from a school to drop them off afterwards. Isn't there some 1000 foot rule for guns? Does it apply to unloaded rifles, do they have to be locked up, and would it apply to 4 foot swords too?

Maybe I will give that sword rack another shot ...

vega
11-27-2006, 7:51 PM
Some ranges have issues with mounted bayonets. I know Angeles won't allow them (not even extending SKS or M44 ones). I guess bayonets are more dangerous than bullets. :rolleyes:

They allowed me to shoot my SKS and M44 a year ago. No problem with the bayonets. Is that a new range rule?

Pulsar
11-27-2006, 8:13 PM
Bayonets are so outdated, all the rage today is for flash hiders and muzzle breaks that do double duty as tools for taking core samples. I actually don't know if they are a commercial item, but a friend in Nevada actually made his own flash hider for his AR-15 and when he made it, he made the end very sharp, and added a nice cerated edge... for those times when the doctors need a core sample from the zombies to aid in the production of a cure :p

Aluisious
11-27-2006, 8:37 PM
:confused: