PDA

View Full Version : Zeiss?

FatKatMatt
11-14-2006, 7:13 PM
I'm looking at scopes for my future rifle and I've narrowed it down to a couple in the same price range

Leupold Vari-XIII 3.5-10x40mm
Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x50mm

The Leupold is a bit more expensive and I am currently leaning towards the Zeiss, does anyone have experience with these scopes and can you tell me which one would be better for the money?

blkA4alb
11-14-2006, 7:21 PM
I don't have any experience with either but I can tell you that you will be very happy with either. They both make very nice optics.

Sgt Raven
11-14-2006, 7:28 PM
Look at the IOR line too. They use Zeiss lenses. I'm very happy with my IOR binco's.

WRENCHHEAD
11-14-2006, 8:06 PM
i own a conquest in 4.5-14X50. awesome scope for the money! the glass is much clearer than the leupold mark4 i had.

edit to add a pic, here is the results of a so-so day at the range:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/WRENCHHEAD/boltgun.jpg

xenophobe
11-14-2006, 8:10 PM
The Conquest line is pretty nice. I'd put it about on par with a Leupold in the same price range.

markymark
11-14-2006, 8:14 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Zeiss. I have a set of their loupes and they are very nicely made.

http://www.zeiss.com/

Dr. Peter Venkman
11-14-2006, 8:50 PM
I didn't know Zeiss made optics.

That comes as a surprise, considering I work on their inspection machines from time to time.

50 Freak
11-14-2006, 10:34 PM
I'm very happy with my Zeiss 3x10x50. Very clear glass. Check eBay, I got mine new for $339 a year ago.

xenophobe
11-14-2006, 10:41 PM

That comes as a surprise, considering I work on their inspection machines from time to time.

Wow... that's what Zeiss does. Make optics...

Zeiss Foundation owns and founded Schott Glassworks, Carl Zeiss AG, and a bunch of smaller companies...

They make glasses, binoculars, microscopes, camera lenses, measuring equipment, and a lot of other products.

xrMike
11-15-2006, 10:06 AM
Yeah, back when I was into medium-format black-n-white photography and enlargers and darkrooms and stuff, Zeiss was considered THE premier lens makers for camera and enlarging lenses. They weren't cheap either.

juha_teuvonnen
11-15-2006, 2:08 PM

Zeiss has been in optical business since 1846. "Bausch and Lomb" used to make licensed copies of Zeiss optics before WWI. Zeiss supplied optics for german armed forces in WWI and WWII. They are one of the oldest makers of microscopes, telescopes and planetarium equipment. They also invented a whole bunch of optical stuff, like anti-reflective coatings for lenses. "Them krauts" know how to make a scope.

xenophobe
11-15-2006, 8:12 PM
In both WWI and WWII Zeiss binoculars were in use by both the friendlies and enemies...