PDA

View Full Version : pictures of parts

pklin1297
11-14-2006, 7:38 PM
Here are a couple of parts that I just got back from powder coating today... Total turn around time was 24 hours, which include a 10 minute round trip to the powder coater twice, and total cost was $40. It is a nice solid flat black, and it is more durable than paint. All parts on the handguard and magazine fitted back together just fine with no tolerance issues.

YHM Lightweight Free Float Rifle Length

C-Products 10 round Magazine

QuarterBoreGunner
11-14-2006, 8:10 PM
Nice work, good price and great turn-around time.
So what's the name and where is this shop?

CHIGGA73
11-14-2006, 8:48 PM
looks good pete!

cornholio1
11-14-2006, 8:52 PM
Whats the difference between this and hard anodizing it?

pklin1297
11-14-2006, 8:55 PM
Thanks all...

The place is called Concept Powder Coating (http://www.conceptpowdercoating.com/)

Their specialties are Choppers and Buggies, so imagine their surprise when I took my "gun" parts out of the box to show them... Good thing the owner is ex-military and immediately recognized the parts...

This place is right next to my pistol range (Rancho Magnum Range) and I never knew it existed...

pklin1297
11-14-2006, 9:26 PM
Whats the difference between this and hard anodizing it?

Hard anodizing is immersing the aluminum part in a bath of sulfuric acid that is cooled to the freezing point of water, and running higher electrical current than regular anodizing through the bath to create a layer of aluminum oxide (rust) on the part, kinda like bluing steel.

Powder coating is a process of electrostatically charging dry powdered paint and spraying it onto the part, then baking it (in my case) at 400 degrees to cure. So instead of spraying wet paint, which I did using Norrell's Moly Resin on some other parts, I chose to try powder coat on these parts because powder coat is abrasion resistant, tough, and harder than wet paint, and the thickness is controlled.

Two different types of processes... Which is better? I won't make that claim, I'll just say that it is a nicer "black" using powder coat. And when I drag my nail across the part, I won't create a streak on the powder coated part like on an anodized part.

NSR500
11-14-2006, 9:34 PM
Very nice finish! I have some powder coated parts on my car and I prefer powdercoating to the traditional paint.

DV8
11-15-2006, 6:30 AM
Hard anodizing is immersing the aluminum part in a bath of sulfuric acid that is cooled to the freezing point of water, and running higher electrical current than regular anodizing through the bath to create a layer of aluminum oxide (rush) on the part, kinda like bluing steel.

Powder coating is a process of electrostatically charging dry powdered paint and spraying it onto the part, then baking it (in my case) at 400 degrees to cure. So instead of spraying wet paint, which I did using Norrell's Moly Resin on some other parts, I chose to try powder coat on these parts because powder coat is abrasion resistant, tough, and harder than wet paint, and the thickness is controlled.

Two different types of processes... Which is better? I won't make that claim, I'll just say that it is a nicer "black" using powder coat. And when I drag my nail across the part, I won't create a streak on the powder coated part like on an anodized part.

Torture test time!

pklin1297
11-15-2006, 2:22 PM
Torture test time!

Chemistry wasn't even my major in college... :)

megavolt121
11-15-2006, 2:39 PM
Thanks all...

The place is called Concept Powder Coating (http://www.conceptpowdercoating.com/)

Their specialties are Choppers and Buggies, so imagine their surprise when I took my "gun" parts out of the box to show them... Good thing the owner is ex-military and immediately recognized the parts...

This place is right next to my pistol range (Rancho Magnum Range) and I never knew it existed...

What city is that in?

Mssr. Eleganté
11-15-2006, 2:50 PM
What city is that in?

Rancho Cucamonga

cornholio1
11-17-2006, 7:20 AM
Rancho Cucamonga

Can you let us know how it stands up to torture? thanks!

pklin1297
11-17-2006, 8:22 AM

Will do... I tend to upkeep my firearms very well so don't know if I will be subjecting enough "torture" to these part to really make a difference. The mag was inserted into the magwell and the metal to metal friction caused a few polished streaks but it didn't take the finish off. Doesn't really matter to me since the mag will be fixed. If anything bad shows I will post.

ARRRR-15
11-17-2006, 8:36 AM

Powder Coating is pretty tough. All skateboard trucks are painted this way and they can take some abuse.

To scratch the mag down to the metal he would have to put the mag on the sidewalk then jump and slide on it a couple of times.

I actually took a a powder coated skateboard truck and shot it with my .223. There wasn't any chipping around the chunk that I took out. The bullet took a half inch chunk out of the side and there is a perfect line of paint around the chunk.

I post some pics later tonight.

ARRRR-15
11-17-2006, 5:38 PM
Here's that Truck I shot.:)

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p75/ARRRR-15/truckshot3.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p75/ARRRR-15/truckshot2.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p75/ARRRR-15/truckshot1.jpg

ivanimal
11-17-2006, 5:44 PM
What the heck is that under the truck?:eek:

ARRRR-15
11-17-2006, 5:55 PM
What the heck is that under the truck?:eek:

Newspaper clippings. I knew someone would notice those.:)