PDA

View Full Version : Recomend me a good entry level long range paper killer

Richie Rich
11-14-2006, 6:14 PM
My better half has been hogging my Nagant since the first time I let her shoot it. Turns out she is quite a shot with the old rifle, getting many touching holes..

She wants a Nagant of her own. No problem..

since Christmas is coming and she has been very good ;) I would really like to get her something a little more accurate as well. She is already a happy owner of a Bersa Thunder .380 and an OLL that will get built in the near future.

So, I am looking for recomendations on what the modern woman would like in a tack driver. She is NOT recoil sensitive at all, she put about 50 rounds of 7.62x54r and a couple dozen 12ga slugs downrange in the course of an evening and loves every minute of it..

I hate to admit it but I know almost nothing about long range shooting (most of my experience is with pistols and shotguns).

Trying to keep it under a grand for rifle and optics....

Thanks

big jon
11-14-2006, 6:20 PM
I just got a Savage Bull Berral in 223 wow shoot like a dream,

mltrading
11-14-2006, 6:37 PM
Get another Mosin 91/30 with PU scope. Or a K-31. Save your $$$:)

ohsmily
11-14-2006, 6:38 PM
Remington 700 Varmint, Remington 700 Police, Howa 1500 Varmint, Savage 10FP...they are all reasonably priced with the savage and Howa being the cheapest

Tzvia
11-14-2006, 6:39 PM
Is she partial to milsurps? Don't laugh, I am a woman milsurper and own 9 various Mosins :D . My favorite is the Fin M39.

Now if you want to get her something new, I too would suggest a Savage, mighty nice rifle for the money.

elsolo
11-14-2006, 6:48 PM
Get a Savage in .243 and a single stage press. Add glass and this will be good to 1000 yards, and a rifle capable of taking most game in North America with the wide range of bullets available, from prairie dogs to deer. If you want to shoot long range, you wil have to handload otherwise you will be pissing in the wind. If you are going to handload, get a chambering that has real options, 7.62-54r doesn't have many.

Play with some ballistic software and plug some numbers, the advantage of a .243 over say .308 at really long range is great.

Sure you could buy 9 mosins for the same amount, or one rifle that you can really shoot (and hit) at long range.

Richie Rich
11-14-2006, 6:56 PM
She LOVES my M38. There will be one under the tree for her.

This is an "in addition to" purchase...

As an aside, she talked another girl at the range into tossing a few downrange with my Nagant.

Girl had never shot anything beyond a .22.

Girl left with a sore shoulder and a big grin, told her boyfriend "I want one"....

Reloading is in my future, looking at the ins and outs of it right now, already saving my brass...

Prc329
11-14-2006, 7:39 PM
I have a Howa M1500 and it shoots like a dream.

VeryCoolCat
11-14-2006, 7:56 PM
Well a price range would help. Semi Or Bolt?

You can get a cheap SU-16 .223 ($600) its more for fun and lightweight.

.308 FAL w/ pinned mag ($1200)

You can get a bolt in Rem 700 .308 ($800 for a good one) or a FN Patrol Bolt Rifle... bout exactly the same price/quality (but its made by FN so I'd rather have that :p)

M1A .308 ($1100) Accurate and nice with many upgrades (some VERY costly)

If you want cheap

Look torwards a Yugo SKS ($200) and ammo 1000rds cost you ($150-$180) not extremely accurate though its 7.62x39

I wouldn't reccomend a mini-14 for accuracy but it gets the job done. ($450-$500)

Then of course there are the C&R rifles
Mausers, 8mm pretty accurate... practically same as the mosin.

Hakim or FN49 Semi Auto 8mm Rifles (pretty damn strong) they average about $600 for decent quality.

Mas49 (either 7.5 french or a rebored one to .308) is a semi auto french rifle.... bout ($500).

K31 Schmitt are good C&R bolts accurate to boot.

Then theres the SVT that thing is basically a semi-auto nagant. That'll run you $600 - $1200 if you can even find it.

Blue
11-14-2006, 8:31 PM
Get her a K-31 for sure especially if she likes Milsurps.

mike100
11-14-2006, 8:33 PM
get a 10/22 as a stocking stuffer. that's about $200 for a non-bullbarrel one and two bricks of ammo will be another $20.

Pthfndr
11-14-2006, 8:38 PM
First off you need to define what "long range" is.

Most people think long range is 300 yards. Long range competition shooters will tell you long range STARTS at 600 yards.

So, I am looking for recomendations on what the modern woman would like in a tack driver.

If you are only to going to shoot out to 300-400 yards, just get a really accurate upper to go on that OLL you mentioned. Ammo for .223 is cheap, whether it's bought commercial or reloaded. And out to 400 yards it's as accurate as anything if the shooter can do THEIR part - which includes reading the wind.

A 24" or 26" precision barrell in 1:8 twist from Compass Lake Eng or White Oak Precision will shoot any bullet from 50 grains on up, and allows you to shoot the heavy 75 and 80 grain bullets if you want to shoot out to 600 yards.

You don't need to worry about her being recoil sensitive, you need to worry about your/her wallet being $$$$$ sensitive when it comes to buying all the ammo she'll go through.

If you want to slow the rate of fire, go with a Savage with a heavy varmint barrel in .223.

Richie Rich
11-14-2006, 9:05 PM
Price was in 1st post, trying to keep it under $1,000 for rifle and optics. I am talking about good quality entry level, not junk, nor something that I am going to have to sell a kidney to pay for.

SU16 is out, was going to get one for myself but after hearing about all the problems (and seeing pics of blowed up SUs) I think I am going to pass...

K31s are sweet, might be my next toy (or a garand).

We will wind up with a 10/22 in the house sooner or later, looking for something with a little more behind it

Bolt or semi auto is OK.

Doing an "accurate AR" has crossed my mind, might run with that one. She is still spooked by the legal aspects of it, might have to revisit that ideal later.

Remington 700 has been mentioned a few times, I got to oogle one at the range last weekend, she seemed impressed with it as well.. Guy had a scope on it that cost more then my truck :eek:

She is getting a Nagant as a "stocking stuffer"

Yes, I am talking about the common mans "long range shooting". Comp shooting may come a ways down the road.

Girl has got a talent, she has been to the range about 6 times in her life and has amazed me, my friends and other shooters..

She is a MUCH better shot then I am.. (don't tell anyone ;) ).

NSR500
11-14-2006, 9:23 PM
She is a MUCH better shot then I am.. (don't tell anyone ;) ).

Funny you mention that, because I remember reading an article saying that Females are better at controlling their breathing.

Prc329
11-14-2006, 9:31 PM
I paid $500 for my Howa M1500 in .308. Its very accurate at 300 yards. It came with a scope as well. Great little cheap rifle. I have heard it shoots as well as a 700. I can't confirm that because I do not have access to a 700 to compare. Weatherby Vanguard is the same rifle.

tzahoy
11-14-2006, 9:46 PM
Here's what I did, I scored a sweet Remington 700 in .243 with a bull barrel from the early 70's, looks like it's never been shot, with shipping and DROS I'm into it for $500. I got an equally sweet Redfield 4-12x40 scope off ebay, also 70's vintage in cherry shape, ~$150 with shipping. I have a Leupold 6-18 Vari-X III and the Redfield is it's equal in all regards. Add another $50 for the scope mount and I'm into this for $700. It's the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. With the 1 in 9.25" twist it will stabilize 95 and 100 grain bullets nicely, 105 is a little too much. It's a great rifle to shoot silhouette with once in a while at Chabot, and a joy to shoot. The fit and finish are a step or two above a current 700, and I like it's old school charm.

You also mention a Garand, I would jump on this while you can. I've got two and they are a blast. They are best enjoyed in three position, they are pretty brutal to shoot off a bench. Ammo from CMP is cheap and you wan't ever regret the purchase. Especially when they run out!

elsolo
11-14-2006, 10:33 PM
I suppose what one man calls "long range accuracy" another considers just plinker grade accurate at short range.

Some of the more popular suggestions so far on this thread:

K-31 : I have one, it's fun. Iron notch and post sights limit it's true potential, and the available scope mounts suck. As far as milsurps shooting milsurp ammo it is good, if that is your criteria.

Garand : I have one and it's fun, but it will not be a sub MOA rifle, neither will a M1A without serious expendature

With $1000 ceiling, you can get a good bolt action and decent optics. This will be the most accurate platform for the money. I'd go with a .308 or .243 depending on what you will use it for. The flatter shooting .243 will make it easier to hit targets at long distance as well as at unknown distances.

Beetle Bailey
11-14-2006, 11:29 PM
If shooting tight groups on paper is the main objective for this gun, I'll go along with the others who said either build the AR with a nice varmint upper or a heavy barrel Savage bolt-action. Either way, .223 rem is a great choice, in part because of the availability of quality commerical ammo.

A Remington 700P is a great rifle, but after you buy it, you won't have much left for the optics under your $1000 cap.

adamsreeftank
11-15-2006, 2:40 AM
I recommend a Remington 700 LTR in .308.

http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/700pltr.htm

It is a very accurate rifle good for shooting out to 600-800 meters. It is shorter and lighter than the full size 700 police rifles, so it may be better for a woman to shoot, but it is not a "ladies" gun. I love mine. Accurate enough to shoot off the bench and get nice groups, but light and powerful enough to take hunting.

You may be able to find them around $700 new if you look. I'd spend the rest on a lower-end Leupold scope. Maybe a VX-II 3-9 power.

M. Sage
11-15-2006, 2:51 AM
K-31 : I have one, it's fun. Iron notch and post sights limit it's true potential, and the available scope mounts suck. As far as milsurps shooting milsurp ammo it is good, if that is your criteria.

Forget the notch, Mojo makes a rear sight for the K11 and K31:

http://www.mojosights.com/

I've got the older model of Mojo on my Mosin 91/30 and have nothing but good things to say about it. The two biggest accuracy limiters on that rifle were me and the tangent sight...

Tangents are for pistols, not rifles. Everybody knows that. :P

Mute
11-15-2006, 8:21 AM
In your stated price range, I'd get a Savage model with a heavy barrel and a Super Sniper scope. If you're willing to shop around, then look for a used Remington 700 and match it with the same scope. That should get you started nicely.

proraptor
11-15-2006, 8:30 AM
Id look into the savage line....I love their accu-triggers

rksimple
11-16-2006, 4:34 PM
Savage 10fp in .308, Bell & Carlson tactical stock, with Bushnell 3200 10x mildot on a Ken Farrel 20 MOA base. Just shy of $1000 with everything in the pic.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b82/rksimple/IMG_0037.jpg

And it shoots too!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b82/rksimple/Feb-Mar06022.jpg

fairfaxjim
11-16-2006, 7:53 PM
I'll second the Savage 10FP .308 w/acu-trigger. It is a great price/value deal and shoots very well out of the box. I dumped the cheesy stock for a Choate ultimate varmint stock - it works well, but there are others that are better for more $$. You can buy it w/a McMillan stock. The glass is a more personal choice. I have had good luck with a 10X Super Sniper. Whole package right at a $grand.

CHIGGA73
11-17-2006, 1:40 PM
i've been looking for a paper puncher as well as some hunting (very rarely though).
what is the best accurate gun a step up from the ones you guys are suggesting...like in the $700-$1100 range (no scope or accesories just rifle)

or should i look custom barrel and such on an ar15 lower?

sv_sniper
11-17-2006, 1:49 PM
How about ROMAK3 (CA neutralized, of course)? The one with scope is around $800 on the market.

It's a sharp shooter rifle, right?:)

anotherted
11-17-2006, 3:17 PM
Get a remington 700 VS or PSS with a Leu VXII 3-9X40. Should be right around $1000.00. Sweet rifle and sweet glass.