PDA

View Full Version : m16 .22 trigger job

mark501w
04-14-2011, 5:44 PM
I recently bought 2 colt m16 .22 rifles. The triggers are really heavy. Looking on this web site I found some really good pictures on removeing the trigger grp. & disessembly posted by brassburns. I used his info & started the project. I noticed some dicussion about loseing the springs during disessembly. I talked to my son about this & he said "what are you going to do,take it apart in a plastic bag"? Humm, not a bad idea. After removeing the screws that hold the trigger grp. together, I slipped it in a large zipplock bag & pride the halves apart. Sure enough springs went every where, in the bag.
In my humble opinion the trigger return spring, sear return spring & the little spring on the sear have little to do with the weight of pull on the trigger, but that Iron Mike hammer spring is the culprit. When playing with the trigger grp. I noticed that pulling the trigger dropped the hammer down as the trigger was pulled. IMHO pulling the trigger against that spring & compressing it is to much to ask of a trigger finger. Now I'am not a Gunsmith & the design may be a requirement for a proper auto loading rifle I don't know.

mark501w
04-14-2011, 6:00 PM
I got the grp. apart & looked at the areas to be stoned the sear has a nice wide step that is easy to manage but, the hammer is really small & I would suggest buying some good stones with a nice sharp edge to work that small area. I would also suggest placeing the parts in a vice with some wood holding the parts so you work the stone on the parts as opposed to working the parts on the stone. In brass's pictures there is a small spring that can't be seen about 1/2 way done one the sear on the back side watch out for this one it loads that forked thingy dingy on the trigger itself.

mark501w
04-14-2011, 6:06 PM
Well any way it seems to have helped & I don't know if this came across as a complete post . Not being a computer guy I struggle with the technology. I hope this helped some one

kris&bela
04-14-2011, 10:43 PM
There is a guy named Bill Springfield and he does trigger job for those tactical 22 types but he's out of State..just Google his name. The trigger on those m16/22lr are not so bad after so many rounds. Mine was about 9lbs but it felt better now after around 500 rnds through it (still heavy) but smoother.

bmwmick
04-15-2011, 9:46 AM
There is a guy named Bill Springfield and he does trigger job for those tactical 22 types but he's out of State..just Google his name. The trigger on those m16/22lr are not so bad after so many rounds. Mine was about 9lbs but it felt better now after around 500 rnds through it (still heavy) but smoother.

Thanks Kris,
Found him: http://www.triggerwork.net/ar15s.html (http://www.triggerwork.net/ar15s.html)

Too bad we don't have pics. :(

**Colt M4 .22 LR, this is the model that utilizes a proprietary aluminum trigger pack. I can reduce the pull weight up to 40%+ and eliminate and trigger creep after trigger slack take up. Price runs $49, only the trigger pack is needed.

Mick

riflem16a4
04-15-2011, 4:40 PM
Any pics bro mine are hard to

mark501w
04-15-2011, 8:59 PM
riflem16a4
I looked up colt m16.22 trigger job & brassburns showed up. He's got a real good post with pix & all.

mark501w
04-18-2011, 7:55 AM
kris&bella,
I've got about 2,000 rds. through my colt & I think I damaged my trgger finger!

mark501w
05-13-2011, 10:01 AM
I just got back from the range after shooting a couple hunert rds through the trigger job & it shot fine. The job seemed to help. I bought a fish weighing scale & used it to check pull @ 7.5 lbs, still pretty heavy. My daughters breaks @ 8.25 lbs stock I didn't check mine before stoneing the surfaces. IMHO the trigger weight is the only limiting factor to these nice shooting rifles. I'am going to keep an eye out for a match trigger,in the mean time I'am going to look for a trigger shoe to spread the weight on my finger.