PDA

View Full Version : I was a featureless AK-103, what are my options?

throwbricks
04-14-2011, 4:47 PM
Edit: The title should say "want" not "was".

I realize that the folding stock will need some sort of temporary mod to prevent it from folding, but I may leave Cali in the next few years, and I really want this feature in my rifle.

I got in contact with Rifle Dynamics, because I have heard they make great AKs, but they will not do a build with a side folder for California.

Someone is probably going to say "build party", but I would really like a professional to build my rifle.

Any ideas on what my options are?

stix213
04-14-2011, 6:13 PM
Why do you need Rifle Dynamics to install your stock for you?

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=17651&cat=0&page=2

C_1
04-14-2011, 6:50 PM
Put one together yourself with a parts kit and what not. Or you can buy a Saiga and convert it. There are a few ways to lock the stock, so maybe you can tell RD to do that for you, but a build party is cheaper :)

metalliman545
04-14-2011, 6:50 PM
You were a featureless rifle? Well since you can talk I'd suggest finding an agent and speaking on behalf of all guns and gun owners. Let california know you are just a freak and you feel so left out because your brothers and sister in other states have all tthe supposed 'evil' features you were built to have by your great creator

Quiet
04-14-2011, 6:58 PM
"featureless" does not a folding stock make. http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhovH57d6SAYgr_Ib6Lg1hLtHKIFe9r UkiagKDQbHH-o9UZDpO

Why not just get a maglocked Arsenal SGL21 and when you finally leave CA, you can take off the maglock & switch out the standard stock for a folding stock.

throwbricks
04-14-2011, 7:05 PM
Why do you need Rifle Dynamics to install your stock for you?

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=17651&cat=0&page=2

I was under the impression that the 100-style side-folding stock had to be built into the rifle when it was assembled. Now I am confused.

Edit: Taking a closer look at the stock, it would require gun-smithing to install, as I thought. So, buying that stock will not do me any good.

throwbricks
04-14-2011, 7:10 PM
"featureless" does not a folding stock make. http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhovH57d6SAYgr_Ib6Lg1hLtHKIFe9r UkiagKDQbHH-o9UZDpO

Why not just get a maglocked Arsenal SGL21 and when you finally leave CA, you can take off the maglock & switch out the standard stock for a folding stock.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say in the first sentence, Yoda. In regards to second part, I don't like bullet buttons. Also, don't the new Arsenals have a proprietary mag lock that's not so easy to remove?

throwbricks
04-14-2011, 7:12 PM
Put one together yourself with a parts kit and what not. Or you can buy a Saiga and convert it. There are a few ways to lock the stock, so maybe you can tell RD to do that for you, but a build party is cheaper :)

Thanks, but I have a Saiga and I do not want to convert it myself. To have a professional convert it is about as costly as buying a separate already converted rifle.

RD will not do a locked folding stock. I asked. :(

Quiet
04-14-2011, 7:16 PM
I'm not sure what you're trying to say in the first sentence, Yoda. In regards to second part, I don't like bullet buttons. Also, don't the new Arsenals have a proprietary mag lock that's not so easy to remove?

You can not have a folding stock on a "featureless" rifle.
You can not have a pistol grip on a "featureless" rifle.

How do you plan on making a rifle with a folding stock & a pistol grip into a "featureless" rifle?

The Arsenal SGL-23 uses the AK raddlock.
The Arsenal SGL-21 can be had with other AK maglocks. New Frontier Armory was using solar tactical AK maglocks for awhile.

throwbricks
04-14-2011, 7:18 PM
You can not have a folding stock on a "featureless" rifle.
You can not have a pistol grip on a "featureless" rifle.

How do you plan on making a rifle with a folding stock & a pistol grip into a "featureless" rifle?

Ok, I see. I guess I was not clear, because I thought it would be implied. My plan was to swap out the spring on the folding stock for some kind of metal tube that prevented the button from being depressed, and put a solar tactical grip wrap on the grip. That would get me a featureless rifle.

C_1
04-14-2011, 7:33 PM
Ok, I see. I guess I was not clear, because I thought it would be implied. My plan was to swap out the spring on the folding stock for some kind of metal tube that prevented the button from being depressed, and put a solar tactical grip wrap on the grip. That would get me a featureless rifle.

Like I said, only 2 options: build from scratch, or start off with a Saiga. You need to mod/cut/weld the receiver to install/mount that AK100 folding stock. And a metal tube for the lock will work.

If its easier to you to have it "professionally" built, maybe have em do it with a folding stock, mag lock it, and add a muzzle device for OAL. Then when you get it, remove all evil features, lock the stock, and youre good.

throwbricks
04-14-2011, 7:33 PM
The Arsenal SGL-23 uses the AK raddlock.
The Arsenal SGL-21 can be had with other AK maglocks. New Frontier Armory was using solar tactical AK maglocks for awhile.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, but those SGL's do not come with a side folding stock, which is really what I want.

I guess if one cannot be had commercially, I could settle for an SGL-23 with a Solar Tactical maglock (if I can find one since the CA compliant ones are made with the raddlock) that I could slap a kydex grip wrap on and pull the maglock off of. Then, at some point I could have a side-folder installed. Although that is a costly solution.

rojocorsa
04-14-2011, 7:36 PM
FYI, I believe that the trunnion for an AK-100series stock is slightly different than a standard trunnion.

I think the simplest solution is to get an SGL 21, and then once in Free America, you can switch out that rear trunnion and install the correct one for that stock.

Quiet
04-14-2011, 7:43 PM
Arsenal SLR-107F has the side folding polymer stock.
But, it's make/model banned in CA.

Since Rifle Dynamics doesn't want to do it and Krebs Custom doesn't seem to offer it and Arsenal doesn't do it for the SGL series, not sure where you can get a non-make/model banned AK103 type side folder.

So you are down to either doing it yourself or getting a non-folder or throwing money at another AK manufacturer (I think Red Jacket offers a AK103 side folder for around $1500).

throwbricks
04-14-2011, 7:56 PM
Alright, well thanks to everyone for the feedback. I appreciate it.