PDA

View Full Version : Probably a stupid question: Living in NH, moving back to Cali, Buying offroster guns

Caladain
04-14-2011, 3:39 PM
Probably a stupid question:
Work moved me to NH. Being as how this is the Gun Mecca state (the local gunshow was not friendly for my wallet), i was looking at picking up some fun conceal guns, like the Keltec PF9.

When i move back to Cali, can i take these guns (in cali mag configs/BB's/OLL/etc) back with me, and if so, is there any weird juju, like i can't ever sell it if i get tired of them?

BigDogatPlay
04-14-2011, 3:46 PM
There's no such thing as a stupid question especially when it comes to California's byzantine gun laws.

As I understand it, as long as they don't have things like threaded muzzles, are a named AW or are otherwise something that requires a federal tax stamp you can bring your off roster handguns with you when you move back. Need to file paperwork with DoJ as a "personal importer", for a fee of course.

And you can PPT those off roster handguns later if you choose, after you've established your California residency.

stix213
04-14-2011, 4:19 PM
Yep, bring as many of the off roster pistols you can! We could also use a few more LCP & P3AT pistols.

Again as already stated, just make sure they aren't considered AW's in this state. Threaded barrels are the most obvious issue. See the handgun AW flow chart under the "AW & OLL Guides" menu toward the top of the page.

Leave any 11+ round mags out of state or disassemble them when in CA. You'll need to self register any pistols you bring here ($19 fee and a form to send in).

Yes you CAN sell any off roster pistols you bring, and if they are in like new condition you will most likely be able to get more than you bought them for. The handgun roster is a limitation on FFL's selling from dealer stock, it is not a limitation on face to face private party transfers.

jonnyt16
04-14-2011, 4:19 PM
A better question is...why would you move back to Kalifornia?? Especially from the Live Free Or Die state!:D

Ding126
04-14-2011, 4:29 PM
If you're taking orders, I would like a USP expert in 9mm...if your moving towards Nor Cal.:biggrinjester:..Welcome back

Ubermcoupe
04-14-2011, 4:34 PM
If you're taking orders, I would like a USP expert in 9mm...if your moving towards Nor Cal.:biggrinjester:..Welcome back

Indeed, I could really use that blued delta elite. :43:

As a new resident you must register all pistols within 60 days here (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf)
The weather is still heaven btw!

Caladain
04-14-2011, 5:45 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I assume it gets very bad, very fast if i purchase handguns that are off-roster with the intent to sell down the road when i move back to cali? My gut says "bad juju"..

What about when i come home to visit family? Can i bring my fun gun with me? What about if my dad takes a fancy to one and wants it, can i PPT, or ? I'm not coming back to cali for a year or two at the earliest, but i'd rather be in Cali (where there is no snow and i don't have to believe in humidity!) and on the front line rather than being a REMF.

Ubermcoupe
04-14-2011, 6:37 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I assume it gets very bad, very fast if i purchase handguns that are off-roster with the intent to sell down the road when i move back to cali? My gut says "bad juju"..

What about when i come home to visit family? Can i bring my fun gun with me? What about if my dad takes a fancy to one and wants it, can i PPT, or ? I'm not coming back to cali for a year or two at the earliest, but i'd rather be in Cali (where there is no snow and i don't have to believe in humidity!) and on the front line rather than being a REMF.

Travel is fine unless otherwise banned (AW) and you must obey all carry/transport laws while here. Family is covered in CGFWiki here (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_Firearms_Among_Some_Family_Members)

Quiet
04-14-2011, 6:55 PM

It is illegal if you import non-approved listed handguns with the intent to sell them. [PC 12125(a)]

You are allowed to import non-approved handguns if you intend on keeping them. [PC 12001(n)(7)]

If you come back to visit, you can not do a PPT. Because a PPT is between CA residents. So, if you do try and sell one of your handguns, it will need to be on the approved list.

If you wait until you are a CA resident, you can just hand your dad the handgun he likes (no FFL dealer required) and, within 30 days, he registers it with CA DOJ BOF. [PC 12078(c)(2)]

ThortheDog
04-14-2011, 7:16 PM

See here about transfers between certain family members (like you and your dad):

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_Firearms_Among_Some_Family_Members

NotEnufGarage
04-14-2011, 8:56 PM
Be sure to bring a bunch of 1911A1 frames in various finishes and sizes for 1911's you want to build in the future. If you decide not to build them up, I'm sure there are lots of willing buyers. I'll take one of each, full size, compact, parkerized and stainless. That's 4.