PDA

View Full Version : Traveling to Ohio - 30rnd M4mags Can I send them to myself in Ohio legally?

PixelBender
04-14-2011, 4:11 PM
How does one send themselves magazines in another state?

I'm flying out of California, and wish to bring Ar15. In doing so, would like to bring magazines of "standard/normal" capacity. I'm checking now with my friend who lives in Ohio regarding mag capacity (I think its one of the "we know mag cap does nothing to stop crime" states, but its worth checking).

I know in California, you cant give/receive magazines, I'm still not clear as to the legality of using them at the range so I've left them disassembled for some time now. I would like to Fedex/UPS them to my self, or, if possible, bring them with me in my hardcase to be checked in with my airline, and still remain legal.

Help is always appreciated. Thanks for your time.

desertdweller
04-14-2011, 4:17 PM
You can send them out of state. The problem is if they are legal for you to have now - you can't bring them back in legally.

Just to be safe, break them down into a parts kit before mailing. As far as the mail goes, there aren't any regulations shipping that stuff. Ohio is NFA friendly, so no mag bans there.

PixelBender
04-14-2011, 4:22 PM
Thats what I was expecting. I was hopping it would be legal to break them down, send the parts to my self in Ohio, use them freely (<3 Ohio) and then break them back down and send the parts back to my self.

tonelar
04-14-2011, 4:32 PM
You can send them out of state. The problem is if they are legal for you to have now - you can't bring them back in legally.

Just to be safe, break them down into a parts kit before mailing. As far as the mail goes, there aren't any regulations shipping that stuff. Ohio is NFA friendly, so no mag bans there.

FUD

If theyre possessed legally here, there's nothing preventing you from leaving and returning with them as well.

For my edification; why do you have them broken down here? Did you buy them as parts kits? If you did, just make sure they're back to being kits when you return.

I leave Cali 2-3x per year. I often bring 15-25-30-42 cap magazines away and back. Their main issue with importing is that you're not returning with MORE large caps then you had when you left.

PixelBender
04-14-2011, 4:52 PM
I did not purchase/buy/receive them. They are broken down because they needed to be cleaned and I didn't feel like putting them back together as I plan on purchasing new followers. I'm thinking the safest bet all FUD aside, is break them down, and send them to myself. I dont want to bring them with me as checkin luggage, just more crap to fumble with when I check my luggage. Because I've heard of firearms going "missing" on flights, and I have a 3hour layover in Milwaukee, I'm considering only checking the lower receiver + pistol, and mailing my self the upper.

rromeo
04-14-2011, 4:59 PM
FUD

If theyre possessed legally here, there's nothing preventing you from leaving and returning with them as well.

For my rdification; why do you have them broken down here? Did you buy them as parts kits? If you did, just make sure they're back to being kits when you return.

I leave Cali 2-3x per year. I often bring 15-25-30-42 cap magazines away and back. Their main issue with importing is that you're not returning with MORE large caps then you had when you left.

I'm not trying to be anybody's conscience, but technically it's only legal if the magazines were owned in California before January 2000. If you legally acquired them by any means after that date, once they leave, they're no longer legal to bring back, unless you're still exempt. Example, you purchased magazines as an LEO in 2005. You are no longer an LEO. Those mags shouldn't return if they leave the state.

stix213
04-14-2011, 5:04 PM
I'm not trying to be anybody's conscience, but technically it's only legal if the magazines were owned in California before January 2000. If you legally acquired them by any means after that date, once they leave, they're no longer legal to bring back, unless you're still exempt. Example, you purchased magazines as an LEO in 2005. You are no longer an LEO. Those mags shouldn't return if they leave the state.

Yes this is correct. PC 12020 gives specific exemption for reimporting legally owned mags only that were previously possessed in CA prior to 1/1/2000. Its a wobbler felony to reimport mags you legally possess in CA if you did not possess them in CA prior to 1/1/2000. Even retired LEO, etc, are not exempted.

stix213
04-14-2011, 5:08 PM
Thats what I was expecting. I was hopping it would be legal to break them down, send the parts to my self in Ohio, use them freely (<3 Ohio) and then break them back down and send the parts back to my self.

This would all be legal, but I'm not clear if reassembling them once they are back in CA would constitute manufacturing a new magazine per PC12020, or reassembling an old one.

I'm sure if you took a dose of "shut the hell up" and reassembled them seeing that you already previously owned them in CA you wouldn't get in trouble, but that isn't any kind of legal advice and I wouldn't suggest doing anything illegal (I am not a lawyer anyway).

PixelBender
04-14-2011, 5:15 PM
hmm.. great info. I'll look into PC 12020. thanks for your help.

Now... all things considered, I dont want to break the law and thats final, but in all honesty out of all the magazines I own, how on earth should I know which ones left the state, and where reassembled upon return. That makes no sense, much like the majority of California laws. Especially considering the fact I own them legally.

Thanks you to everyone for your feedback.

rromeo
04-14-2011, 6:08 PM
It's not that confusing. First, did you own your magazines prior to January 2000? If so, they can come and go as you please. If not, they can't.

jpr9954
04-14-2011, 6:29 PM
Wouldn't it just be easier - and maybe safer legally - to order a bunch and have them mailed to your friend in Ohio direct from the vendor? Or just pick them up there? Unless you have to have Magpul Pmags or something fancy, you can get D&H or C-Products for $10 or less per 30-round mag.

When you finish shooting with your friend, leave them with him.

Just a suggestion.

Mssr. Eleganté
04-14-2011, 8:31 PM
I believe Ohio has a ban on semi-auto firearms that hold more than 31 rounds. So magazines over 31 rounds are legal there until you insert them into a semi-auto firearm.

Some Ohio cities had their own 10+ round magazine restrictions, but I believe they were all struck down by a court case.

PixelBender
04-14-2011, 10:21 PM
JPR made a good point, actually, the same point my friend made. The safest and best bet, seeing how hes planning on building his own rifle is to either buy them out there, where 30rnd mags are 101% legal. He suggested I forget about the mags, hell buy some out there and well have a good ol kosher time.

Thanks for the help :D As for those mags they can stay nice and warm here at home.

tonelar
04-15-2011, 9:13 AM

I was confusing the two... All of mine were bought or traded for prior to nye 1999.

Good point; if acquired legally post 01/01/00, theyre different legally than ones owned prior.