PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning

ts
11-14-2006, 3:00 PM
Let me start off by saying I have no gun cleaning experience but I would like to learn. I only have 2 guns as of now; AK-47 (7.62) with a chromed lined barrel and a UZI (9mm) with no chromed lined barrel. What are the best solvents and lubricants? I like to take care of the things I own really well. Are there any kits I should look into? What brands should I be looking for?

Thanks,
Tony

NSR500
11-14-2006, 3:17 PM
I've had good experience with stuff from Hoppes: http://www.hoppes.com/brands.asp?manufky=1000007
The suff from Birchwood Casey that I have used is good too: http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/index.html

I usually go with whatever is on sale between the two.

ocabj
11-14-2006, 3:20 PM
Butch's Bore Shine or Montana Xtreme solvents and oils.

Dewey Rods

Tipton, Sinclair, or other quality bronze bristle and bronze core brushes

Bore guides

ts
11-14-2006, 3:21 PM
Thanks guys, price is not an issue - I just want the best stuff for my toys.

NSR500
11-14-2006, 3:27 PM
In my experience the chemicals do help, but it all comes down to technique and discipline. My friend used to buy all the latest cleaning crap for his AR. He thought he cleaned real good until I cleaned his so called "Clean" AR15.

VeryCoolCat
11-14-2006, 3:27 PM
Thanks guys, price is not an issue - I just want the best stuff for my toys.

LOL... you're going to clean an AK47?!?!? :D I mean... cmon.... many enemy combatants in afghanistan have old 1960s russian ak47s that have been used MANY times to fight others in their country, russians and now us.

They hide em in wood crates under the ground or stick them inside a crawlspace sized cave, deep in the montains. Then take em out and spray them. No Use in Cleaning an ak47 unless your using corrosive ammo which is probably more expensive than wolf.

rorschach
11-14-2006, 3:28 PM
Cleaning kit/rods (I'm partial to Outers, but I like the OTIS kit too)
lots of patches
30 cal and 9mm bronze brushes
Hoppes for the bore, CLP for everything else
An old toothbrush, q-tips, and a dental pick helps a lot too
I like the CLP cloth to wipe everything down when finished.

PJA
11-14-2006, 5:02 PM
Two words:

Wipe Out.

Pete

tiger222
11-14-2006, 5:06 PM
I like organic non-toxic cleaners. Being chemically sensitive I have to use this stuff. Mpro7 & Balistol are my main cleaners....and to lube it up afterwards, Miltec.

Mr.RoDiN
11-14-2006, 8:28 PM
+1 on that MPro-7! Its great stuff! It doesn't stink up my room like hoppe's. I like using FP-10 for lube. Just a few pointers. Don't be stingy with the the cleaning pads. Don't be scared to use a fresh one, till the cleaning is done. Also, for those hard to reach spots, I like using cotton swabs. Last but not least, two words, say them with me. BORE SNAKE. These things are great! Cuts down the time to clean the barrel, in half!

M. Sage
11-14-2006, 9:43 PM
+1 on the Hoppes, it's not too bad, but their cleaning kits kinda suck.

Tipton cleaning rods. I love 'em. I get the Tipton patches from MidwayUSA.com, they come in a big, resealable bag.

I'm using aerosol Zep oil a lot more lately instead of solvents, etc. It seems to do a decent job, but I'm not going for showroom clean anymore.... "Clean enough" is all you need. Overcleaning just wears you and the guns out. :P Get the major crud out, oil it, put it away.

Don't forget to run dry patches to get the oil out of the barrel before you shoot it!

BearMetalClean
12-08-2007, 4:42 PM
What I use for gun cleaning are:
1. Hoppes Solvent
2. Old Toothbrush
3. Bag of Patches
4. Barrel Rod
5. Brass Brushes
6. Bear Metal Gun Cleaning Swabs (http://www.bearmetalclean.com)

I'm particularly fond of #6 :D

CSACANNONEER
12-08-2007, 4:52 PM
1. Hoppes Solvent
2. Old Toothbrush
3. Bag of Patches
4. Barrel Rod
5. Brass Brushes

Shameless! But, I've been looking for a good supplier for these to clean the MBs on my 50s. My doctor thanks you! His office seems to run out every time I go in.

ohsmily
12-08-2007, 10:23 PM
1. Hoppes Solvent
2. Old Toothbrush
3. Bag of Patches
4. Barrel Rod
5. Brass Brushes

Your first post on this forum resurrected a thread that died over 1 year ago and was started by a now banned member.....nice work.

MedSpec65
12-08-2007, 10:29 PM
I use all the stuff outlined here but would only add Blue Wonder Bore Cleaner to get the plastic and crud out of your shotgun barrels.

ar15barrels
12-08-2007, 11:21 PM
I've been looking for a good supplier for these to clean the MBs on my 50s.
My doctor thanks you! His office seems to run out every time I go in.

www.mcmaster.com

Search for "cotton swabs".
They have most of the swabs he is re-selling.
I use the 3" single ended ones daily in my shop for touchup bluing.

muntz
12-09-2007, 8:48 AM
LOL... you're going to clean an AK47?!?!? :D I mean... cmon.... many enemy combatants in afghanistan have old 1960s russian ak47s that have been used MANY times to fight others in their country, russians and now us.

They hide em in wood crates under the ground or stick them inside a crawlspace sized cave, deep in the montains. Then take em out and spray them. No Use in Cleaning an ak47 unless your using corrosive ammo which is probably more expensive than wolf.

Yeah, on either the Discovery Channel or History Channel they did a show on the top 10 guns. A gentleman on the show said that he witnessed the Afgans cleaning their AK's by removing their boot lace, tie a knot in one end, dip in motor oil, and pull through the barrel. And that was apparently good enough to go go fight a real battle.

chsk9
12-09-2007, 8:56 AM
cleaning is vastly over rated. Boresnake it and wipe it down is normally as much as I do.

DedEye
12-09-2007, 2:13 PM
1. Hoppes Solvent
2. Old Toothbrush
3. Bag of Patches
4. Barrel Rod
5. Brass Brushes

Holy Necropost Batman :eek:!

2x modifier for OP being banned as well!

BearMetalClean
12-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Hey Everybody,

Didn't mean to come across as spamming with the shameful-plug. Should've introduced myself first.

My name is Dean and I just started the website selling gun cleaning swabs. I couldn't find any great resource for tough, durable cotton swabs that wouldn't fall apart like Q-tips. So I looked around and found a great variety of shapes and sizes that worked well and decided that if I need them, maybe other shooters would as well.

I served in the Air Force as a member of the Security Police from '94 through '99 and was lucky enough to serve during a peaceful time. I know it because my cousin is a Captain in the Army Rangers who is serving his second tour in Iraq. Part of what I'm doing is donating up to 20% of my profits to charities that focus on military veterans and emergency responders.

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys could give me some honest feedback about the website and the products. That would be great.

Thanks,

Dean

USN CHIEF
12-10-2007, 10:31 AM
BearMetalclean, can I get a free sample?:patriot:

BearMetalClean
12-11-2007, 5:41 PM
Hi USN CHIEF,

I offer free sample packs on the website and usually require you pay the S&H, but if you send me your shipping address, I'll send you a free sample pack on my dime! The only thing I ask is you give me your honest feedback.

For a limited time, if anyone else on this forum wants a free sample pack, just send me your shipping address and I'll do the same.

Thanks,

Dean

Jaiofspam
12-12-2007, 1:26 AM
For a limited time, if anyone else on this forum wants a free sample pack, just send me your shipping address and I'll do the same.

Thanks,

Dean

sweet!!!... you have pm :)
merry christmas!