PDA

View Full Version : Some kind of resin or adhesive into anchor bolt hole

high_revs
04-14-2011, 2:43 PM
Just wonder if y'all did it. I'm prepping moving my safe and I was kinda of surprised I just had to hammer the bolts down into the slab to get clearance for the safe. Supposedly, I guess there's like a wedge at the bottom that expands if you try to lift the bolts up (via safe I guess). But I'm curious how much resistance there really is if I can easily hammer down the bolts.

I read somewhere someone put fiberglass resin down there in the hole as they put in the bolts?

CSACANNONEER
04-14-2011, 2:49 PM
Ask two dogs that get locked together. Just because it goes in easy, it doesn't mean that it's coming out easy.

gfourth
04-14-2011, 2:53 PM
Just wonder if y'all did it. I'm prepping moving my safe and I was kinda of surprised I just had to hammer the bolts down into the slab to get clearance for the safe. Supposedly, I guess there's like a wedge at the bottom that expands if you try to lift the bolts up (via safe I guess). But I'm curious how much resistance there really is if I can easily hammer down the bolts.

I read somewhere someone put fiberglass resin down there in the hole as they put in the bolts?

They're called "wedge anchors" and yes, even after you set them (torque them), they can always be reset by hitting them back in. BUT, they will always 'bind' back up if you try to pull them out.

Another method of attachment is epoxy and all-threaded rods. Typically the hole in the concrete gets drilled 1/8" oversize of the anchor, squirt epoxy in hole, then insert threaded rods. Common anchor epoxies are Simpson Set-22, and Hilti has a few ($$$).

Both methods are very strong.

For a safe, I don't see the need to add epoxy to a wedge anchor. As long as its the right size, it will do its job.

ETA: The fact that wedge anchors can be pounded in after being set can be a plus. As long as you drill the hole deep enough to pound them in, then, say, if you don't own your home or you rent, you can easily get rid of them by just beating them down into the hole when you move, etc...

high_revs
04-14-2011, 3:18 PM
Ask two dogs that get locked together. Just because it goes in easy, it doesn't mean that it's coming out easy.

haha.. you're reminding me of my childhood as i saw that a lot when dogs get all horny.

thanks for the info gfourth. i'm pounding the ones down in our current rental might run to home depot/lowes for a little mortar to plug the bolts in too.