PDA

View Full Version : My First Build!

kidguam
04-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Ok, just recently a friend of mine gave me a nice gift. A Bushmaster Carbon 15 CA compliant top loader. Now I need you experts to give me some advice on what lowers are compatible so I can used 10 rd clips instead. I've read mixed reviews on this model, but you can't beat free. So please feel free to tell me what I need to do and still stay CA compliant. Thanks in advance.

Flintlock Tom
04-14-2011, 2:00 PM
If it's a standard AR 15 style upper receiver then any standard AR 15 style lower receiver will work with it.
Since its a carbon fiber material you might want to consider a Plum Crazy polymer lower receiver.

Jimmy310
04-14-2011, 3:19 PM
YES IT WILL, get a new lower.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=49945

And yeah, we gotta give you a quick lesson: http://www.knewance.com/storage/post-images/clip_magazine.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=12792 44330073

kidguam
04-14-2011, 4:57 PM
Thanks guys. Going to a local gun shop this weekend and thanks for the lesson.

dieselpower
04-14-2011, 6:03 PM
they dont understand what you have.

You can search here and there are directions to cut the bottom out and turn your top loader into a regular AR15.

drill out the rivet.

wait ...do you have hand skills and a dremel tool?

drill out rivet
take dremel tool and carefully cut out the bottom of the mag well

people have done it here and posted pics.

evidens83
04-14-2011, 6:08 PM
I honestly would keep it original. How many top load ARs are around nowadays anyways. Could be worth something in the future you'll never know.

Jimmy310
04-14-2011, 6:41 PM
He doesnt want to bother with it, thats why he's asking about buying a real lower and slapping it on the bush master upper

kidguam
04-14-2011, 6:55 PM
The gun shoots great. I just want more options and see how far I can take it. Im almost positive that if I mod the original lower it against CA law and I dont need that. I did however think about it for a moment.

762.DEFENSE
04-14-2011, 7:29 PM
I understand where you're coming from, but the route I'd go personally would be to sell it. Then use the funds you get from the rifle to build a rifle exactly how you want it to be minus the hassle involved with drilling out the lower.

shark92651
04-14-2011, 7:42 PM
The gun shoots great. I just want more options and see how far I can take it. Im almost positive that if I mod the original lower it against CA law and I dont need that. I did however think about it for a moment.

It is not illegal if you add a Bullet Button to it so that it requires you to insert a tool to drop the magazine. The cheapest route would be to dremel out the magwell and add a Bullet Button. Top loading is a pain, especially when you get a jam.