PDA

View Full Version : Firearms Posession Limit?

thewarden2000
04-14-2011, 12:56 PM
I've been collecting and shooting for... a while. A few days ago my mother-in-law told me that she spoke to a friend here in CA with a LARGE firearms collection, and that he told her that he had to get some sort of "permit or license" because of the number of firearms he has. I have never heard of such a thing. Is there any merit to this? Is there some magic number of firearms you can posess in this state? This sounds bogus to me.:confused:

Mesa Tactical
04-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Boy I hope not, otherwise I am in big trouble.

Librarian
04-14-2011, 1:03 PM
No limit in law - collect away!

dustoff31
04-14-2011, 1:08 PM
IIRC, some years ago there were some rumblings about proposing such a law, an arsenal license if one had more than X guns. Can't recall if it was a state or fed thing. Fortunately, nothing became of it.

ThortheDog
04-14-2011, 1:23 PM
Think that was a state thing, and maybe also had an ammo limit attached. Don't remember clearly as it was some time back.

taperxz
04-14-2011, 1:31 PM
Think that was a state thing, and maybe also had an ammo limit attached. Don't remember clearly as it was some time back.

OR, there is a misunderstanding of what is going on and the collector has an 03. This would make him a C&R collector.

Untamed1972
04-14-2011, 1:37 PM
OR, there is a misunderstanding of what is going on and the collector has an 03. This would make him a C&R collector.

that's what I was thinkin......mom just didn't understand what he was talkin' about.

wash
04-14-2011, 1:37 PM
There are certain limits on primers and gun powder but they are pretty high limits, you would have to be more than an occasional reloader to approach them.

As for number of guns, DOJ might get upset if you have an FFL and you have too many bare OLLs to fit in your safe but there is no limit on the collector.

thewarden2000
04-14-2011, 1:50 PM
That's pretty much what I though. I've been doing this a while myself and have never heard of such an obsurd "limit". Thanks for the input guys! Now I get to tell my mother-in-law that her friend is either confused or a nut-job. :43:

AJAX22
04-14-2011, 1:56 PM
lol, maybe she heard him wrong... the license makes the collection get huge, not the other way around ;)

OleCuss
04-14-2011, 2:05 PM
There are certain limits on primers and gun powder but they are pretty high limits, you would have to be more than an occasional reloader to approach them. .

Actually, IIRC, the limit on black powder is only 1 pound. That's almost bizarrely low.

Smokeless powder - 20 pounds? Not a big problem on that one.

OneApart
04-14-2011, 2:05 PM
There is no set limit.

BoxesOfLiberty
04-14-2011, 2:27 PM
I've been collecting and shooting for... a while. A few days ago my mother-in-law told me that she spoke to a friend here in CA with a LARGE firearms collection, and that he told her that he had to get some sort of "permit or license" because of the number of firearms he has. I have never heard of such a thing. Is there any merit to this? Is there some magic number of firearms you can posess in this state? This sounds bogus to me.:confused:

Perhaps she misunderstood what it means to have a "Collector's License (http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/curios-relics.html#license)" (also known as a "Type 3 FFL" or an "FFL 03") from the ATF? (Which has nothing to do with how many one wishes to collect).

Overbear
04-14-2011, 2:36 PM
The only limit I know of is ammo, I believe it was somthing like 100,000 (or was it 1,000,000?) rounds and then you must store said ammo in an aproved fire container X feet from the dwelling. I would have to go back and do some research its been a while sence I looked all that up.

unusedusername
04-14-2011, 2:39 PM
Actually, IIRC, the limit on black powder is only 1 pound. That's almost bizarrely low.

Please cite the PC for a statewide limit if it exists. I am only aware of county and city wide zoning limits imposed by the various fire departments (and I was unable to find such a limit for unincorperated San Mateo county).

HowardW56
04-14-2011, 2:48 PM
Boy I hope not, otherwise I am in big trouble.

Me too...........

SJgunguy24
04-14-2011, 3:06 PM
I wish there was a law that limited the amount of horse crap and lies the anti's were allowed to spew in any given week. Same should go for legislators attempting to pass the same crappy friggen laws.

CSACANNONEER
04-14-2011, 3:11 PM
I wish there was a law that limited the amount of horse crap and lies the anti's were allowed to spew in any given week. Same should go for legislators attempting to pass the same crappy friggen laws.

There should be. Horse crap contains nitrogen which, as we all know, can be used as an explosive.

OleCuss
04-14-2011, 3:47 PM
Please cite the PC for a statewide limit if it exists. I am only aware of county and city wide zoning limits imposed by the various fire departments (and I was unable to find such a limit for unincorperated San Mateo county).

That's from the CalGuns Wiki. http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#How_much_gunpowder_can_I_store_in_my_home.3F

Here's the code: http://law.onecle.com/california/health/12102.html

unusedusername
04-14-2011, 5:00 PM
Ah, I've never seen that before. Thanks!

FF/EMT Nick
04-14-2011, 5:08 PM
Hmph, I may or may not have more black powder than that. I can neither confirm nor deny. :D

Fate
04-14-2011, 5:34 PM
Sounds like someone was making the moves on mom in law... ;)

Saigon1965
04-14-2011, 5:38 PM
I got a bigger safe deal - Uh huh -

Army
04-14-2011, 8:23 PM
There should be. Horse crap contains nitrogen which, as we all know, can be used as an explosive.
Ummm CSA? I think you were going for methane.

Nitrogen is an inert gas.

But.....................................I knew where you were going with it :)

12voltguy
04-15-2011, 8:42 AM

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Curtis
04-15-2011, 9:27 AM

Some cities have lower limits on the smokeless. It's important to check with the city/county you live in.

On a side note, I found I could get a permit to keep 250 pounds at my house, but no more than 50 pounds at a commercial office space.

The only limit I know of is ammo, I believe it was somthing like 100,000 (or was it 1,000,000?) rounds and then you must store said ammo in an aproved fire container X feet from the dwelling. I would have to go back and do some research its been a while sence I looked all that up.

I do not believe there is any limit to the amount of ammo you can store.

SgtDinosaur
04-15-2011, 9:45 AM
There is no limit, but if you happened to get popped for something (almost anything) the news media will sensationalize your "arsenal" and make it sound like it was illegal.

thewarden2000
04-15-2011, 12:18 PM

Now THAT'S just disgusting :puke:

CSACANNONEER
04-15-2011, 2:16 PM

No, I was thinking about high nitrogen fertilizers and their dangers.

Wherryj
04-15-2011, 3:28 PM

Maybe he was talking about the Spousal Permit allowing large collections. I know that every time I purchase another firearm, the permit fees increase steeply.

Wherryj
04-15-2011, 3:31 PM

I suppose that depends upon the ratio of nitrogen to other ingredients...Say, three nitrogens to each toluene... as in C6H2(NO2)3CH3.

Army
04-15-2011, 4:21 PM
I think by the time it exits said horse, it won't be very dangerous. Nitrogen fertilizers are used two ways, either in liquid form and blown into the soil (nitrogen pumpers are notorious for blowing up), or in powdered/crystal form that is mixed with other chemicals or inert material and spread onto the surface.

Either way, no way a horse will consume any amount great enough to make its poop go boom.......unless maybe you light his farts? :D

IGOTDIRT4U
04-15-2011, 4:54 PM
Some cities have lower limits on the smokeless. It's important to check with the city/county you live in.

On a side note, I found I could get a permit to keep 250 pounds at my house, but no more than 50 pounds at a commercial office space.

I do not believe there is any limit to the amount of ammo you can store.

No limit, correct. Or law on how to store ammo.

CSACANNONEER
04-15-2011, 5:12 PM

I think by the time it exits said horse, it won't be very dangerous. Nitrogen fertilizers are used two ways, either in liquid form and blown into the soil (nitrogen pumpers are notorious for blowing up), or in powdered/crystal form that is mixed with other chemicals or inert material and spread onto the surface.

Either way, no way a horse will consume any amount great enough to make its poop go boom.......unless maybe you light his farts? :D

I'm sure that it would not be too hard to find a way of refining it.

nick
04-15-2011, 11:14 PM

Knowing you, you were probably thinking about black powder for that cannon :p

Bull's_eye
04-15-2011, 11:38 PM
Not to get too off track, but how often is the Wiki updated? I'm only asking because I just scanned through most of it, and it says a removable magazine with rounds in it is not considered loaded, and is legal to transport in said condition. On an episode I saw of Wild Justice, they were citing people for having loaded magazines in their car, even though they were not in the gun itself.

Lone_Gunman
04-16-2011, 12:25 AM
Pro tip: Cops rarely know the law as it applies to firearms. Dept. of whatever cops even more so. Trust the CalGuns Wiki, if some misinformed officer writes you a ticket for something that the CalGuns Foundation said was legal contact them ASAP. We like to help the Police learn the laws they are supposed to be enforcing.

Dead*Reckoned
04-16-2011, 12:47 AM

Nitrate fertilizers...
potassium nitrate (black powder)
ammonium nitrate (ANFO)

potassium nitrate can be found in evaporated urine, so its not horse s*** its horse p***. :D

Nitrogen is still inert though...

Librarian
04-16-2011, 1:10 AM
Not to get too off track, but how often is the Wiki updated? I'm only asking because I just scanned through most of it, and it says a removable magazine with rounds in it is not considered loaded, and is legal to transport in said condition. On an episode I saw of Wild Justice, they were citing people for having loaded magazines in their car, even though they were not in the gun itself.

Yes, we've seen that episode mentioned.

DFG guys were wrong, Wiki is right. Wiki has been right since 1996, even though the DFG guys seem not to have been trained on a court case from 15 years ago ...

NorCalDustin
04-16-2011, 2:08 AM
There is no limit, but if you happened to get popped for something (almost anything) the news media will sensationalize your "arsenal" and make it sound like it was illegal.

That reminds me of an article i read awhile back of a guy in Canada who got popped for something stupid... His Arsenal consisted of (if I remember correctly), 3 rifles and over 1000 rounds of ammo... Most of which was from 2 bulk pack's of .22LR.

It made be laugh... I've gone through more than 1k rounds of .22LR in a day at the range.

MaHoTex
04-16-2011, 8:49 PM
There are certain limits on primers and gun powder but they are pretty high limits, you would have to be more than an occasional reloader to approach them.

As for number of guns, DOJ might get upset if you have an FFL and you have too many bare OLLs to fit in your safe but there is no limit on the collector.

10K primers... Not really a lot and I am only an occasional reloader. If you buy 5K at a time, and need rifle, pistol small/large, magnum etc.. 10K primers is next to nothing really...

Dave A
04-16-2011, 9:47 PM
Interesting thread. I had no idea there was any limit on smokeless powder, or primers. If you buy your favorite powder in 8 lb quantities to save money, it does not take long to add up to more than 20 lbs.

As previous poster mentioned, same with primers since you may need four different types.