PDA

View Full Version : Student moving to SD

CJay
04-14-2011, 11:32 AM
I've got a cousin and his gf moving to San Diego for school. Both are FL residents. I don't suppose there's any chance for their handgun to go with them, or if they are allowed to make purchases there? We know little about California laws, so advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

robcoe
04-14-2011, 11:37 AM
If it's not an assault weapon(AW) then it should be fine, check the flowchart at the top of the page for the AW definitions, and tell them to buy some 10 round magazines and sell or disassemble(and not reassemble while in California) any with a capacity of 11 or more rounds.

Also they will need to register it with the California DOJ. IIRC it's a form and a $19 fee.

mag360
04-14-2011, 12:18 PM
tell him to buy some extra gen 4 glocks and off list sig sauer's and ruger lcp's...all popular here!

loose_electron
04-14-2011, 12:20 PM
Before they bring a gun into the state they need to get familiar with the state laws - totally different game than FL.

I was over at a range a few months back and a lady pulls a .380 mouse gun out of her pocket. She had just moved in from FL (Navy wife, hubby got moved) and was doing CCW with no license, one in the chamber, cocked, safety off, loose-no holster and no clue.

Firearms rules on campus are very strict at the local colleges - need to check with them as well, or just keep it totally off campus.

loose_electron
04-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Bring in 50 Ruger LCP's and they can make tuition off of the marked up sales.

Librarian
04-14-2011, 12:24 PM
If they're coming here for school - college/university? - there's no requirement for them to fill out the new resident paperwork. If they choose to stay here and change residences, that would be the time. See the wiki article on residency - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Federal_residency_requirements

They may bring any handguns CA does not think may be an 'assault weapon' but may NOT bring magazines with greater than 10-round capacity (they may bring disassembled mags as 'parts kits' but may not assemble those kits into complete magazines inside CA).

Unless they become CA residents, they will not be able to buy guns in CA. Ammunition would be no problem.

I hope they plan to live in a private residence of some kind. All educational institutions in CA seem to ban possession of firearms in the school supplied or owned or administered housing.

ETA if they have FL CCW, that's no good here, and as non-residents they won't be able to get CA CCW - there is no non-resident CCW in CA, and CA does not honor any other state's CCW.

GNE
04-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Where in San Diego are they going to for school?

CJay
04-14-2011, 12:49 PM
LOL, how much do the LCPs sell for over there?

They will be living off campus, so they're OK there. I'm not sure which part of San Diego, but he's going to law school.

Understood about the 10-round mags, thanks.

No CCW of course, but unloaded open carry is OK off campus?

robcoe
04-14-2011, 1:41 PM

Legal(for the moment) but they should know that they will probably get stopped about once an hour when someone calls in a "they have a gun" call to the police.

Crom
04-14-2011, 1:46 PM
If they are considering becoming residents then they do need to register thier handguns with the state.

I am moving into California and I own several handguns. What are the new-resident registration requirements?

You are considered to be a personal handgun importer as defined by California law. You may bring all of your otherwise California-legal firearms with you, but you must report all of your handguns to the DOJ within 60 days as required utilizing the New Resident Handgun Ownership Report (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf). http://ag.ca.gov/images/pdficon.gif [PDF 518 kb / 2 pg] You are not required to report rifles or shotguns. You may not bring ammunition feeding devices with a capacity greater than ten rounds, machineguns, or assault weapons into California.
(PC sections 12001(n), 12072(f)(2))

Spetsnazos
04-14-2011, 1:55 PM

whats even the point to that?

loose_electron
04-14-2011, 3:00 PM
LOL, how much do the LCPs sell for over there?

They will be living off campus, so they're OK there. I'm not sure which part of San Diego, but he's going to law school.

Understood about the 10-round mags, thanks.

Any off list gun in state gets about 20-25% markup - we also have tricks around the law by single shot exemptions and similar nonsense -- It all costs money of course.

A new LCP here goes for around $500-550 and they are available from Buds Guns (or many other places) for $325-350

Nice profit right?

UOC in any of the college areas is asking to be stopped by LEO, but thats a seperate niche of the gun cult.

:)

Bring me a LCP and I will take ya out sailing!

:D

desertdweller
04-14-2011, 3:22 PM
Is unloaded open carry legal for non-residents?

Librarian
04-14-2011, 3:51 PM
Is unloaded open carry legal for non-residents?

As legal as it is for residents and citizens.

Things restricted to residents tend to be things the state spends money on, e.g. in-state tuition vs non-resident tuition at state colleges/universities.

There are other notable exceptions, off-topic for this thread.

stix213
04-14-2011, 3:56 PM

Unloaded open carry is risky in urban or suburban areas due to the possibility of unknowingly being within 1,000 feet of a school (gun free school zone). Also there are plenty of videos showing overly jumpy law enforcement contacts (you're walking, minding your own business legally UOCing, and then you get 3 cops with guns in your face, you're getting screamed at, and an hour later you are let go without even a "sorry about your civil rights"). If you are in a fairly low populated area then it becomes much more practical.

In urban/suburban areas you should consider LUCC (locked unloaded concealed carry). There are several threads on it in this forum.

CJay
04-14-2011, 5:44 PM
So UOC is legal for now but a bad idea.

LUCC, as in unloaded and locked in the glove compartment of a car, or carrying it around in a locked case?

jwkincal
04-14-2011, 5:55 PM

UOC is legal under California law but the law does not restrict municipalities from creating additional weapons-free zones. In my city, the municipal parks and stuff like that are not legal for UOC. Plus there is the 1000 feet from schools as mentioned above. The last thing you want is a weapons offense on your record, even if it is only a misdemeanor.

Librarian
04-14-2011, 6:04 PM

LUCC, as in unloaded and locked in the glove compartment of a car, or carrying it around in a locked case?

Separate locked case - glove compartment is specifically excluded as a transportation location (though the locked case could be in the glove box, if it fits). Hard case, soft case, both OK. Trigger lock or cable lock is not satisfactory.

You may find the Wiki a useful resource - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Main_Page
and the direct link to the FAQ section is below in my .sig.

loose_electron
04-14-2011, 6:12 PM
Clay - go read the FAQ and Wiki stuff that Libraarian has posted. All of this has been answered several thousand times, and those writeuips are well thought out and well written.

CJay
04-14-2011, 6:16 PM
We'll do that. Thanks for the help, everyone.

jl123
04-14-2011, 6:19 PM
Tell your cousin we said welcome to the struggle. Every question he has and many he wouldn't have thought of can be answered here. A lot of useful info.