PDA

View Full Version : Help on a Pro 2nd Amen. Debate

razorscs
04-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Hey all,

So I am in a Argumentation and Debate class in school, and am going to be having a value based argument on the right for an individual to bear arms. My team will be presenting the thesis that "the individual right to bear arms makes America a safer place." The thesis will evolve from there to sound a little better than that, but that is the basic premise of it. The reason the word 'individual' is included is so that any interpretation of the 2nd Amendment such as that it provides for state militias and the like to bear arms, is not part of the debate. I need to have at least 3 different sources (minimum of 2 non website), and I thought that maybe some of you guys might have some resources such as court cases or other cool stuff that I could include in the speech. If you have any ideas of interesting points I could make that would be great as well.

I am NOT trying to pawn this speech off or have y'all do the work for me in any way, I just know that there is a lot of information out there that I don't know about, or points that can be made that I would never think of, and I want to make a truly compelling argument and be able to back up my side when the other side does the cross examination. So let me know what you've got!

Thank you!
-Scott

Untamed1972
04-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Hey all,

So I am in a Argumentation and Debate class in school, and am going to be having a value based argument on the right for an individual to bear arms. My team will be presenting the thesis that "the individual right to bear arms makes America a safer place." The thesis will evolve from there to sound a little better than that, but that is the basic premise of it. The reason the word 'individual' is included is so that any interpretation of the 2nd Amendment such as that it provides for state militias and the like to bear arms, is not part of the debate. I need to have at least 3 different sources (minimum of 2 non website), and I thought that maybe some of you guys might have some resources such as court cases or other cool stuff that I could include in the speech. If you have any ideas of interesting points I could make that would be great as well.

I am NOT trying to pawn this speech off or have y'all do the work for me in any way, I just know that there is a lot of information out there that I don't know about, or points that can be made that I would never think of, and I want to make a truly compelling argument and be able to back up my side when the other side does the cross examination. So let me know what you've got!

Thank you!
-Scott

I would consider reading the Supreme Courts decision in Heller v. DC

Give about the best history lesson condensed in one place for the basis of 2A being an individual right as regards self-defense.

wazdat
04-14-2011, 10:23 AM
You should review the Federalist Papers to understand what the founding fathers had in mind before the Constitution and 2nd amendment were written.

jtmkinsd
04-14-2011, 10:32 AM
Being a student you could include some "close to home" examples of the victims gun restrictions create, such as these:

http://www.nevadanewsbureau.com/2011/03/17/rape-victim-to-testify-on-campus-carry-law/

http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/blogs/toronto/archive/2011/04/07/422815.aspx

CalBear
04-14-2011, 10:35 AM
John Lott's more guns less crime.

FBI crime data is available. Correlate gun ownership and violence, and show some graphs of violent crime +/- 5 years around when each state passed concealed carry laws, compare to national average, etc.

Emotional examples are also very effective.

OleCuss
04-14-2011, 10:58 AM
Years ago I found a site which showed where most gun violence occurred along with population density.

Where population density was high, you had a high incidence of gun violence. Where population density was low (rural areas where everyone owns guns) the gun violence rate was low.

Net effect was that rather than ban guns, we should ban cities. Well, the logic does break down, but the logic for getting rid of the cities is actually better than that for getting rid of guns.

jtmkinsd
04-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Violent crime in cities where gun laws are uber-strict far exceeds violent crimes in cities with comparable populations that have little gun control.

But the anti gun crowd never lets facts and data get in the way of their agenda.

dustoff31
04-14-2011, 12:56 PM
Dig up the murder rate statistics for Washington DC before and after the Heller decision. The murder rate dropped almost by half after the SCOTUS said, "Yeah, you can have guns. It's a right."

Nevermind the fact that very few permits have been issued, and there are no gun shops in town. It appears that the mere thought in the bad guys mind that their intended victim might have a gun and defend himself, is enough to cause the muder rate to drop dramatically.

dantodd
04-14-2011, 1:36 PM
You should really read Josh Blackman's "The Constitutionality of Social Cost." It is available online but is/will also be in the Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy, so it should count as a "hard copy" source.

Here is a link to Josh's blog with more info: http://joshblackman.com/blog/?p=6167

And here is the paper at SSRN: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1763830

Uxi
04-14-2011, 1:54 PM
John Lott's more guns less crime.

FBI crime data is available. Correlate gun ownership and violence, and show some graphs of violent crime +/- 5 years around when each state passed concealed carry laws, compare to national average, etc.

Emotional examples are also very effective.

THIS!

jonnyt16
04-14-2011, 4:45 PM
One of the best resources I can recommend is a little leatherbound book the NRA put out some time ago called the The Second Amendment Primer.

Here's mine (pictured on top of another book which should also be required reading)

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/5932/nraprimer.jpg