PDA

View Full Version : hello from bakersfield.

mr.hustle
04-14-2011, 11:01 AM
yup, just moved here from the bay area about a year ago.
Looking to buy my first handgun soon.

ElvenSoul
04-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Welcome!

69Mach1
04-14-2011, 11:08 AM
Welcome to the forum.

mr.hustle
04-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks everyone.

bjl333
04-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Welcome to Calguns !!!

bjonesgtaw
04-14-2011, 1:01 PM
welcome, im from the same area.

den888
04-14-2011, 1:42 PM
Welcome!

bsg
04-14-2011, 1:44 PM
welcome to the forum.

BayAreaShooter
04-14-2011, 3:18 PM
Welcome.

Prenub
04-14-2011, 3:28 PM
Welcome

E Pluribus Unum
04-14-2011, 3:29 PM
yup, just moved here from the bay area about a year ago.
Looking to buy my first handgun soon.

Welcome from Bakersfield.... I'm a Rose-Dalian...

mr.hustle
04-14-2011, 4:14 PM
anyone know of any well established gun brokers in the area?
Was looking to purchase from 2nd amendment on rosedale but maybe there is a cheaper dealer out there that i dont know about.

Fjold
04-14-2011, 4:18 PM
Rafael at Get-A-Gun who posts on here. He's got some great deals on Glocks right now.
Wes at Ten Percent (Taft) also posts on here. Great service (from Becky)
Gene at Bear Mountain Sports (Weedpatch Hwy) Good guy
Ole Boys Outdoors on Jumani Ct. also posts on here. Full service shop with an indoor shooting range.

Big Jake
04-14-2011, 5:02 PM
Welcome to the nuthouse!:D

mr.hustle
04-14-2011, 5:20 PM
Thanks Big jake.

Yeahh it already feels like its going to be a expensive yet fun new hobby.
Any correction officers in here? I work as a nurse at North Kern.

E Pluribus Unum
04-14-2011, 6:12 PM
anyone know of any well established gun brokers in the area?
Was looking to purchase from 2nd amendment on rosedale but maybe there is a cheaper dealer out there that i dont know about.

Do not under any circumstances buy anything from SAS.

Ever since Mr. Janes moved to Arizona several years ago, the store has gone to poop. A lot of half-wits pawning themselves off as firearms experts who are nothing more than FUD artists. They were the LAST gun shop in the area to deal with OLL's claiming "We have no wish to deal in assault weapons, legal or otherwise." That was THE last straw for me; the fact that they would play into the "assault weapon" BS.

10% is great, but you have to drive to Taft twice.

I like Valley gun, but they are more a hunting store than an OLL store.
If you want to see some toys... and are ever in Fresno, check out PRK arms.

For in-town stuff, Ole Boy on Rosedale and Allen is full of cool people.

mr.hustle
04-14-2011, 6:13 PM
I believe I'll get in touch with Rafael @ get-a-gun.
If not 2nd amendment sports is not bad at all with prices.

Valley Guns on Chester is another story.
I walked into this place about 2-3 days ago and the atmosphere was just not welcoming at all. I stood around looking at the glass case for about 15 mins and had to ask a question before being acknowledge by a staff member who seemed so busy on his computer. I was about to buy a sigma from them because it was cheap, but the service made me re-evaluate myself. STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!

E Pluribus Unum
04-14-2011, 6:19 PM
I believe I'll get in touch with Rafael @ get-a-gun.
If not 2nd amendment sports is not bad at all with prices.

Valley Guns on Chester is another story.
I walked into this place about 2-3 days ago and the atmosphere was just not welcoming at all. I stood around looking at the glass case for about 15 mins and had to ask a question before being acknowledge by a staff member who seemed so busy on his computer. I was about to buy a sigma from them because it was cheap, but the service made me re-evaluate myself. STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!

That's one dealing. I have had several dealings with both stores. TRUST ME... Valley is twice the store SAS is, despite having less inventory.

Valley takes care of you.

I had a shotgun teflon coated, their gunsmith did the job and I was not satisfied. When I came back a few weeks later, the gunsmith that did the work had left. They paid their new gunsmith out of pocket to redo the gun for me, and the gunsmiths were only referred by the store, they were not employees.

This and countless other stories show that Valley is a much better store.

SAS would not even help me with my M1A 45 days after I purchased it; all they were willing to do was give me the phone number for Springfield's warranty department. This, and flat refusing to do a PPT despite being shown the law set me up for the final straw I spoke of earlier. SAS is a joke and they think they are king poop.

mr.hustle
04-14-2011, 6:29 PM
Maybe because I look under 21 is why I got the service I obtained.

but on the other hand, I just spoke with Rafael who is currently in Texas.
But his prices are looking dirt cheap compared to all other carriers.
I guess because he doesnt have to pay for rent on a store front he is flexible with the prices.

E Pluribus Unum
04-14-2011, 6:45 PM
Maybe because I look under 21 is why I got the service I obtained.

but on the other hand, I just spoke with Rafael who is currently in Texas.
But his prices are looking dirt cheap compared to all other carriers.
I guess because he doesnt have to pay for rent on a store front he is flexible with the prices.

Definitely!!

Overhead is HUGE.

If they are paying $2000 a month in rent, and they make $200 per gun, they have to sell 10 guns per month to pay the rent, another 5 guns to pay the electricity and other increased expenses they would not have in their home, so you are looking at 15 guns a month to break even.

He is called a "Kitchen Table FFL". They can sell guns at a price that would put the big guy out of business.

greasemonkey
04-18-2011, 9:37 PM
Welcome to Calguns. Rafael did a transfer for me a while ago, great guy to work with and definitely 'kitchen table' prices.
There's some good shops in/around Bako (and Fresno, too, I kinda dig that there are so many good shops that it's hard to choose where to go!). For what it's worth, E Plur and Fjold have been around Bako and in the hobby for a while, I'd put a lot of stock into what local shops they recommend.

Owner of PRK is a C.O.

mikaarce
04-19-2011, 5:43 AM
Welcome, +1 on Rafael, Get a Gun.

.22guy
04-19-2011, 9:35 AM
Welcome to Calguns!

Definitely look into Get a Gun, Rafael will hook you up.

bczrx
04-19-2011, 3:17 PM
MGM Tactical is pretty good too. Similar to Rafael I believe.

Ole Boys is my favorite LGS that has a building and range. But that is me. SAS has the cheapest prices for a lock and key LGS, but Old Boys Outdoors is pretty close and their personalities makes me happy to go there.

Valley is a fine place but I have never felt 'included' when I go in there, and I am 40.

Welcome!

Why a Sigma? Price only? Look around and talk to some people. It may work well for you, or you may find something even better. We all have our opinions about firearms. I like S&W products, but not the Sigma. I also like Ruger products. Go figure.

Target19
04-20-2011, 12:42 AM
Welcome!

The_Tinman
04-20-2011, 9:44 PM
Welcome.

sixstringslinger
04-22-2011, 6:43 PM
If you're thinking about a Sigma and just want a good cheap gun I recommend going to gssfonline.com and have your application post marked or faxed in to the GSSF (Glock Sport Shooting Foundation) with your $35 membership fee then you can buy one Glock a year for slightly cheaper than Law Enforcement Officer pricing and get 3 mags with your Glock instead of the normal 2. A Glock is a WAY better gun than a Sigma. If you think about it, your membership pays for the extra mag and you get a DEEP discount on a Blue Label Glock. For example a Glock 17, 19, 26, 22, 23, 27, 31, 32 or 33 are only $425 plus tax. Plus as a member you can take the Glock Armorer's course which will qualify you for 2 more Discounted Glocks a year, you can compete in GSSF matches where you can win a Glock and at matches they have Glock Armorers who will go over and fix your Glocks for Free as part of your membership. Gene over at Bear Mountain Sports is a GSSF dealer and he can order directly from Glock if they have the model you want in stock. If you're interested they're changing the program May 1st for all new members where you have to be a member for 12 months or sign up as a new multi-year member, but I confirmed with the GSSF if you have your membership fee and application in before May 1st you'll be grandfathered in to buy a Glock in your first year. It's really about the best deal around!

DeanW66
04-27-2011, 3:02 AM
Welcome aboard!

Slim///
04-27-2011, 4:46 AM
Welcome to Bakersfield and to the Forums!

Another +1 to Ole Boy and MGM tactical :)

DoubleB
05-22-2011, 8:37 PM
Welcome to Bako. I bet you can't wait for your first summer!! I am pretty much a lifelong resident, but just getting into firearms.

Crash3110
05-22-2011, 10:43 PM
Welcome!

TBDesigns
05-23-2011, 8:24 AM
Welcome to Cal Guns!

INJUNTOM
05-23-2011, 2:46 PM
Welcome aboard