PDA

View Full Version : ALERT: Metcalf Range needs your help, ACT NOW.

MaceWindu
04-14-2011, 9:48 AM
Fellow Sport Shooters/ Trainers/ Hunters/ Enthusiasts:

It has come to my attention very recently, that the South San Jose Metcalf Range (Official name: Field Sports Park) in South San Jose has come under scrutiny by one person. The identity of the person in question is not relevant as much as the fact that NO ONE has opposed him because no one has known about his complaints against the range.

If you sport shoot/ train/ or just occasionally plink @ Metcalf, which has become a "fortress of solitude" for some of us (just to get away from life for a while and relax), this effects you.

The person in question is requesting the County Officials that the usual, customary, and reasonable hours of business at the Metcalf Range be reconsidered to suit him. His home was built after the range was built in 1978. This will have a dramatic impact on sporting and training classes and just your average plinker in general. To show your opposition to ANY of the changes in range hours and days please contact:

District One Supervisor Mike Wasserman (He is PRO 2nd Amendment, and our collective votes helped Mike Wasserman get into office)
at mike.wasserman@bos.sccgov.org or you can call his office at 408-299-5010

If you don't email or call, YOU CANNOT make a difference. Lastly, DO NOT contact Metcalf Range or any of it's employee's regarding this matter. This is a matter that can ONLY be fought and resolved by contacting the Office of Mike Wasserman.

Mace Windu

Jel
04-14-2011, 9:55 AM
Email sent to Mike. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

surfNshoot
04-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Not trying to rock the boat here but is there two sides to this story? Has the company added hours or night shoots/training that they didn't use to have?

kmca
04-14-2011, 10:23 AM
What does the complainer want?

MaceWindu
04-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Not trying to rock the boat here but is there two sides to this story? Has the company added hours or night shoots/training that they didn't use to have?

Absolutely not. The schedule has been the same for YEARS. He just does not "like" the range being there. It's that simple.

MaceWindu

MaceWindu
04-14-2011, 10:32 AM
From the original post: The person in question is requesting the County Officials that the usual, customary, and reasonable hours of business at the Metcalf Range be reconsidered to suit him.

MaceWindu

bulgron
04-14-2011, 10:33 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=6201531&postcount=3

surfNshoot
04-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Absolutely not. The schedule has been the same for YEARS. He just does not "like" the range being there. It's that simple.

MaceWindu

Understood. Just wanted some clarity on that.

bulgron
04-14-2011, 10:35 AM

MaceWindu

Apparently the neighbor has been there for years. The range's hours certainly have not changed in those years. We don't know what changed on his end, but ultimately the law protects the range. The only thing the neighbor can do is make a lot of noise.

chickenfried
04-14-2011, 11:11 AM
emailed/called and a btt

Overbear
04-14-2011, 11:23 AM
The identity of the person in question is not relevant

WRONG!

This is quite relevant, as if this person is known, then people and neigbors can complain/file complaints on his violations of the law (too many cars, loud music, etc...) within the confines of the law. In this way he ends up fighting so many complaints, that he drops all considerations outside of them, and we win.

johnny_22
04-14-2011, 11:24 AM
Mentioned the good work of the SJ Zouaves.

Serpentine
04-14-2011, 11:30 AM
WRONG!

This is quite relevant, as if this person is known, then people and neigbors can complain/file complaints on his violations of the law (too many cars, loud music, etc...) within the confines of the law. In this way he ends up fighting so many complaints, that he drops all considerations outside of them, and we win.

Could be libelous to reveal the complainants name. We don't want to attack, but rather - defend and support the range.

Goosebrown
04-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Mailed the counilman. Thanks for the heads up.

Just got a personal response for the mail too and he forwarded to someone else on the BOS.

Democracy in action.

blakdawg
04-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Could be libelous to reveal the complainants name. We don't want to attack, but rather - defend and support the range.

No, it cannot be libelous to accurately identify the complainant.

Serpentine
04-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Apparently the neighbor has been there for years. The range's hours certainly have not changed in those years. We don't know what changed on his end, but ultimately the law protects the range. The only thing the neighbor can do is make a lot of noise.

Yes, however, if the neighbor goes unopposed, County admin may make their own in-house rules unless we speak up NOW.

There may be a law somewhere, but an after-the-fact expensive court challenge is what we are trying to avoid here. So, your immediate calls and emails are most effective.

Thank You!

Serpentine
04-14-2011, 1:05 PM
No, it cannot be libelous to accurately identify the complainant.

The County admin knows his name very well, as he's been calling them constantly, and unopposed to this point. His name is irrelevant, but our opposition correspondence to Mike Wasserman's office is essential.

blakdawg
04-14-2011, 1:46 PM
The County admin knows his name very well, as he's been calling them constantly, and unopposed to this point. His name is irrelevant, but our opposition correspondence to Mike Wasserman's office is essential.

Understood, and if you choose not to reveal the name that's certainly your choice - but's it's not a libel issue.

And my e-mail to Mr. Wasserman has already been sent.

Saigon1965
04-14-2011, 4:50 PM
Emailed -

snoopy
04-14-2011, 8:29 PM
email sent - bump for a good cause

Luieburger
04-14-2011, 8:39 PM
I sent my e-mail to Mike in support of the park. I run by that park every weekday on the coyote creek trail and I personally love to hear the pops and bangs from the range. I'm sorry to hear that the gentle sound of distant gunfire doesn't fall as sweetly on the ears of the few who would dare to harm our wonderful community.

tgriffin
04-14-2011, 8:48 PM
Email sent.

pMcW
04-14-2011, 9:19 PM
Email sent. I would hate to see anything happen to my favorite range!

tgriffin
04-14-2011, 10:05 PM
Thomas,

Thanks for contacting me.
I understand what you are saying.
There are no plans to change anything.

Mike Wasserman
Supervisor, District One
Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors
70 West Hedding Street, 10th Floor, East Wing
San Jose, CA 95100
(408) 299-5010 | (408) 295-6993 (Fax)
Mike.wasserman@bos.sccgov.org | www.supervisorwasserman.org

Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:46 PM
To: Wasserman, Mike
Subject: Field Sport Park

Mr Wasserman,

Writing to express my opposition to any action being taken in consideration of the lone individuals challenge of the long standing (and unaltered) hours of operation at Field Sport Park.

While we of course wish to maintain harmonious relationships with our neighbors, a line must be drawn somewhere, especially when the lines detailing his plot plan were drawn long after the establishment of our fine range.

Again, please count me amongst those against the alteration of Field Sport Parks hours of operation/policy for the aforementioned reasons.

Regards,

Thomas Griffin

Email replied by Mr Wasserman at 10:30 at nIght no less.

sixtus
04-14-2011, 10:14 PM
Email sent.

Nevermore
04-14-2011, 10:22 PM
Mail sent. Fellow range users notified. Will try to make a call tomorrow. There are few enough ranges as it is to be dealing with more restrictive hours from one crybaby complainer.

pMcW
04-14-2011, 10:22 PM
Thomas,

Thanks for contacting me.
I understand what you are saying.
There are no plans to change anything.

Mike Wasserman
Supervisor, District One
Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors
70 West Hedding Street, 10th Floor, East Wing
San Jose, CA 95100
(408) 299-5010 | (408) 295-6993 (Fax)
Mike.wasserman@bos.sccgov.org | www.supervisorwasserman.org

Email replied by Mr Wasserman at 10:30 at nIght no less.

His reply to my email just came too, with identical content, except for my name. An encouraging response, nonetheless.

Dear Supervisor Wasserman,

I'm writing to express my concerns about Santa Clara County's Field Sports Park on Malech Road. I have heard reports that the range, or its current business hours, might be at risk because of certain complaints.

I want to express how much I value the recreational opportunities afforded by that shooting range. It is my favorite place to shoot, and is situated in a very convenient location, only a short drive from my home. It is a beautiful setting to enjoy one of my favorite activities, and an excellent and safe facility. The staff is friendly and professional, and I always enjoy my visits there. We are fortunate to have so many great parks in our county, and this is one of the most valuable. Please support the continued operation of Field Sports Park in any way that you can.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Luieburger
04-14-2011, 10:39 PM
His reply to my email just came too, with identical content, except for my name. An encouraging response, nonetheless.

Same for me. Just came in about 50 minutes ago.

Rock on! :D