PDA

View Full Version : How to zero ar 15 without targets?

coltn46920
04-14-2011, 8:56 AM
How do you zero a ar 15 without a paper target to see what appropriate adjustments you must make to your iron sights/scope to correct you POI?

evidens83
04-14-2011, 8:58 AM
Metal targets? Any target will do. Doesnt have to be paper.

Don29palms
04-14-2011, 9:09 AM
Take a large piece of cardboard and put a 1 inch dot in the middle of it. Set it at 50yds and make your adjustments. I use a laser boresight to get it close first.

apbrian112
04-14-2011, 9:10 AM
you have to be aiming at something... make sure you know what distance you're aiming at so that you can make the correct adjustments. saves time and you can estimate the bullet drop with that given zero.

rero360
04-14-2011, 9:23 AM
I kind of did something similar with my M1 out in the desert, I used my range finder to lase a bush on a hillside that was right around 400 meters from me and then started shooting at it, making adjustments to my sights until I was hitting the bush. Is it pin point accuracy, no, but seeing how all I have is magnetic ammo I can't take the gun to Angeles to do a proper sighting in. I still want to get a better zero when I have the chance.

donw
04-14-2011, 9:48 AM
are you using the standard A2 sights?

if you are:

1. align windage indicator to "0" on the rear apreture
2. rotate the elevation knob until the 8/3 mark is aligned with the mark on the left side of the receiver.
3. rotate the front sight post until the base of the front sight post is flush with the front sight post well.

that will give you a "mechanical zero", then:

4. set up a target at 25 meters
5. shoot a 3 round group. adjust front sight post for up/down, adjust windage knob for right/left.
6. continue to fire 3 round groups until all shots hit the point of aim.

you have achieved a "combat-zero" once this is done. the larger apreture will automatically be zeroed (the larger apreture is from 300-800 meters).

to engage a target at say, 500 meters, turn elevation to the "5" mark.

go to AR15.com for lotsa good info on the AR15.

i got the above info directly from www.AR15.com for a basic zero for my AR; worked fine for me.

the laser method will work best indoors, though for a CLOSE (CQB) zero. but you'll have to make final adjustments by actual live fire along with adjustments.

lewisracing
04-14-2011, 10:30 AM
How do you zero a ar 15 without a paper target to see what appropriate adjustments you must make to your iron sights/scope to correct you POI?

Are you allergic to paper or what?

Targets are like $0.30. If you can afford to shoot a cartridge, then surely you can afford a paper target.

dieselpower
04-14-2011, 11:00 AM
if you are trying to zero in your house or apartment you need to go buy a laser bore sighter. Its a small penlike laser that fits into your barrel and projects a dot on the wall. It is only good for a general zero. The laser diode even on expensive units is off a bit from the bore. That dot it projects on the wall is your Point of Impact. (POI).

Find the longest place inside your home, or back yard and set up your rifle. LOCK the rifle down. Use weights, clamps whatever. Even clamping it on its side to a tabletop is good. You need to do this to make 100% sure you do not move that laser from its spot in the rifling. any giggle or movement will make your job harder and take longer.

The best will be a 25 yard run. measure it somehow. Now using your optics's adjustment screws move the dot inside your optic to align with the dot you have projected on the wall. You now have a general zero.

There is no way to do this with a BUIS. You are fooling yourself if you think you can see the difference between a laser dot off the bore and your BUIS center.

The Director
04-14-2011, 11:15 AM
are you using the standard A2 sights?

if you are:

1. align windage indicator to "0" on the rear apreture
2. rotate the elevation knob until the 8/3 mark is aligned with the mark on the left side of the receiver.
3. rotate the front sight post until the base of the front sight post is flush with the front sight post well.

that will give you a "mechanical zero", then:

4. set up a target at 25 meters
5. shoot a 3 round group. adjust front sight post for up/down, adjust windage knob for right/left.
6. continue to fire 3 round groups until all shots hit the point of aim.

you have achieved a "combat-zero" once this is done. the larger apreture will automatically be zeroed (the larger apreture is from 300-800 meters).

to engage a target at say, 500 meters, turn elevation to the "5" mark.

go to AR15.com for lotsa good info on the AR15.

i got the above info directly from www.AR15.com for a basic zero for my AR; worked fine for me.

the laser method will work best indoors, though for a CLOSE (CQB) zero. but you'll have to make final adjustments by actual live fire along with adjustments.

Actually should be the 6/3 mark.

donw
04-14-2011, 11:23 AM

i checked my elevation wheels on both AR's, both are marked "6/3"...:o

i stand corrected...:)

but the directions i downloaded from www.AR15.com say "8/3"...go figure...:confused::(

CHS
04-14-2011, 11:28 AM

There are two different rear sight setups.

A4/M4 and A2

Rears for the 16" M4 use 6/3 and 20" A2's use 8/3.

Sometimes you'll find the wrong sights on the wrong barrels when it comes to cheaper upper manufacturers too.

The Director
04-14-2011, 11:46 AM
There are two different rear sight setups.

A4/M4 and A2

Rears for the 16" M4 use 6/3 and 20" A2's use 8/3.

Sometimes you'll find the wrong sights on the wrong barrels when it comes to cheaper upper manufacturers too.

Yeah I was presupposing a 16" upper....true A2 20" sights are a bit of a rarity

Table Rock Arms
04-14-2011, 11:53 AM
If your talking about getting it close before you go to the range the first time, find something at whatever distance you want to site it in at and set or mount your upper so you can see the object through the barrel. Then without moving the upper adjust your sites so that they are lined up with whatever object you chose and you will be close enough to go to the range and sight in your Rifle.

Otherwise, I am not sure why you wouldn't be able to use paper targets?