PDA

View Full Version : Handgun saftey roster laws.

Forestgnome
04-14-2011, 5:55 AM
Hi All,

I'm trying to resolve in my mind how using the single-shot exemption allows you to buy a handgun that you can legally convert to a handgun that would be banned because of the roster. Particularly it's this penal code:

12125. (a) Commencing January 1, 2001, any person in this state who
manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state
for sale, keeps for sale, offers or exposes for sale, gives, or lends
any unsafe handgun shall be punished by imprisonment in a county
jail not exceeding one year.

In my mind, "any person" means me, not an FFL holder. I interpret "causes to be manufactured" as converting to a gun banned due to the list. Please tell me why this doesn't apply to me.

G1500
04-14-2011, 8:24 AM
Hi All,

I'm trying to resolve in my mind how using the single-shot exemption allows you to buy a handgun that you can legally convert to a handgun that would be banned because of the roster. Particularly it's this penal code:

12125. (a) Commencing January 1, 2001, any person in this state who
manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state
for sale, keeps for sale, offers or exposes for sale, gives, or lends
any unsafe handgun shall be punished by imprisonment in a county
jail not exceeding one year.

In my mind, "any person" means me, not an FFL holder. I interpret "causes to be manufactured" as converting to a gun banned due to the list. Please tell me why this doesn't apply to me.

Even as an FFL holder you are not allowed to manufacture a firearm, unless you are an 07 FFL.

That being said:

THESE FIREARMS ARE NOT BANNED IN CALIFORNIA.

You are overlooking the fact that these pistols are not on the roster for whatever reason does not mean that are banned. Someone who owns one of these firearms who is from out of state is permitted to bring it into the state when them move here. If a LEO happens to have one of these firearms, and wants to sell it, he can do so via private party transfer. Neither of these are illegal because the firearms are not illegal to own in the state, they are just not allowed to be sold through an FFL to the general public, but can be transferred to any non-prohibited person through PPT.

That being said, when you buy any firearm, on roster or not, you can do anything you want to it except modify it into an assault weapon, or any other illegal setup. If you are a private party, you can legally make your own firearm for personal use, it is not illegal. So by modifying a non-illegal pistol into a non illegal form, you are not breaking any laws.

But, again, you seem to be misunderstanding that off roster pistols are NOT BANNED. Let's say it together now, "Off roster pistols are not banned."

Just because you misinterpret something doesn't mean it is illegal.

Librarian
04-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Just to repeat G1500 on one point: the Roster is a limitation on what guns a CA FFL may transfer to a non-Roster-exempt person. Otherwise, the Roster has no effect on the rest of us.