PDA

View Full Version : Is Armalite the Only Place to Buy Armalite Uppers?

cornholio1
11-14-2006, 8:14 AM
I am trying to find the cheapest place to buy an Armalite AR10 upper but I couldn;t find anyone but the parent company itself. Maybe I am not looking hard enough? I am not in a rush because Armalite says their complete upper have no warranty and only their complete rifles have a lifetime warranty.

FYI. I am going for 100% Armalite parts except stripper lower receiver.

tenpercentfirearms
11-14-2006, 8:48 AM
I can order them and might be able to save you a few bucks. I just never get many requests for AR10 things so I don't stock them. Send me an e-mail. guns@tenpercentfirearms.com

bu-bye
11-14-2006, 8:51 AM
I can order them and might be able to save you a few bucks. I just never get many requests for AR10 things so I don't stock them. Send me an e-mail. guns@tenpercentfirearms.com

I don't think he said he was looking for an AR-10 upper. :confused:

bu-bye
11-14-2006, 8:53 AM
Never mind, I see he posted about this on another thread...:o

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=42024

C.G.
11-14-2006, 9:52 AM
I am trying to find the cheapest place to buy an Armalite AR10 upper but I couldn;t find anyone but the parent company itself. Maybe I am not looking hard enough? I am not in a rush because Armalite says their complete upper have no warranty and only their complete rifles have a lifetime warranty.

There aren't many places that carry AR-10 uppers. Your best bet is EE at ARF.com or
http://dsgarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=84

bwiese
11-14-2006, 10:03 AM
If you buy the upper from Armalite and it has problems, even though it does not have a warranty, they will try to help you. That help might be restricted to testing/firing on one of their lowers at their facility to show that things in the upper work OK. As for the lower's function and your upper's relation to it, you're on your own but we can help here.

I notice from your frequent posts you're really on a "cheap" binge, and in the AR world that can be harmful or at least ineffective.

Sure, you're restricted to using a Vulcan/Hesse HAR25 lower receiver but that's due to legalities. You should also buy quality a Armalite 308 buffer, buffer tube (barrel extension) and action spring. You should use 10rd Armalite 308 magazine(s). Your lower parts kit + springs should come from a quality vendor (save the postage and order it from Armalite with the other parts). And do NOT try to use someone else's 308 bolt/carrier in an Armalite AR10 upper either if your acquired a barrelled upper without bolt assembly.

DO NOT TRY TO SAVE MONEY, IT'LL COST YOU MORE IN TIME/GRIEF.

I've had to help debug numerous "low-cost" AR builds where someone tries to buy cr*p parts mixes from "bottom feeder" suppliers like Model1 Sales, ASA, Sherluk Mktg, Olympic, etc.

ivanimal
11-14-2006, 10:05 AM
I ordered mine from Cold war shooters.

cornholio1
11-14-2006, 10:07 AM
If you buy the upper from Armalite and it has problems, even though it does not have a warranty, they will try to help you. That help might be restricted to testing/firing on one of their lowers at their facility to show that things in the upper work OK. As for the lower's function and your upper's relation to it, you're on your own but we can help here.

I notice from your frequent posts you're really on a "cheap" binge, and in the AR world that can be harmful or at least ineffective.

Sure, you're restricted to using a Vulcan/Hesse HAR25 lower receiver but that's due to legalities. You should also buy quality a Armalite 308 buffer, buffer tube (barrel extension) and action spring. You should use 10rd Armalite 308 magazine(s). Your lower parts kit + springs should come from a quality vendor (save the postage and order it from Armalite with the other parts). And do NOT try to use someone else's 308 bolt/carrier in an Armalite AR10 upper either if your acquired a barrelled upper without bolt assembly.

I've had to help debug numerous "low-cost" AR builds where someone tries to buy cr*p parts mixes from "bottom feeder" suppliers like Model1 Sales, ASA, Sherluk Mktg, Olympic, etc.

Yea...I want to go as least expensive as possible. I look at it as trying to find the best dealers price on a Toyota. Its still a Toyota. I do want Armalite parts. BTW. My Model 1 works fantastic.

C.G.
11-14-2006, 10:09 AM

+1 on Bill's post. I think that part of the problem that people had trouble with with their HAR-25s is that they were buying cheap parts.

If you are into saving money, then an AR-10 may not be for you. Just about everything that you will buy for it will cost you more than for an AR-15 because the market is a lot smaller for the AR-10 than AR-15.

bwiese
11-14-2006, 10:14 AM
BTW. My Model 1 works fantastic.

Sample size = 2 (there's one other guy here that lucked out too).

I've had to debug a lot of Model 1s over the years (as well as Olys).

In fact one guy PMd me awhile back and compared his M&A Parts kit spring tensions to tensions from quality parts from Bushy & Stag and found his M&A springs to be way, way out of spec.

In no sense of the word are bottom feeder parts anywhere near milspec. I get my small AR parts from Bushy or Armalite or top-notch quality boutique vendor like CMMG, BravoCoUSA or Denny's Guns/Global Tactical.

bwiese
11-14-2006, 10:17 AM
+1 on Bill's post. I think that part of the problem that people had trouble with with their HAR-25s is that they were buying cheap parts.

Yep, or relying on the DPMS mag in place.

This mag needs to be removed and replaced with a shimmed Armalite mag. The problem may or may not just be compatibility, but overall crappiness on part of DPMS mag used in HAR25.

If you are into saving money, then an AR-10 may not be for you. Just about everything that you will buy for it will cost you more than for an AR-15 because the market is a lot smaller for the AR-10 than AR-15.

Absolutely. And because 4 different vendors use 4 different systems, you can't mix & match parts from such vendors unless you really know what does & doesn't work; it's not necessarily a newbie project like a regular AR can be.

xenophobe
11-14-2006, 10:24 AM
If you are into saving money, then an AR-10 may not be for you.

Definitely words of wisdom.

PIRATE14
11-14-2006, 6:20 PM

FYI. I am going for 100% Armalite parts except stripper lower receiver.

Well I think we have one EAGLE 20" A2 upper, that's fairly inexpensive, I'lll have to dig around.......

ARMALITE cost money, they have never been inexpensive, that's why they came up with the Eagle alternative.

50BMGBOB
11-14-2006, 7:41 PM
Still waiting for my Armalite magazines. Hoping that will solve my feeding issues.

BTW I had to debug my AR15T upper (problem with the bolt carrier) but the one I got for my son from Model 1 worked right out of the box. Even the best sometimes need work and the worst will occasionally get it right.