PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg ATR 30-06

Outlaw Josey Wales
11-14-2006, 9:03 AM
I checked one of these rifles out yesterday while at Big 5. Black synthetic stock, Marinecote finish, Mossberg 3X9 scope. Seems like a decent enough rifle but I am curious about the Marinecote finish. I assume that it is nickel plating and wonder how it would hold up to solvents during cleaning and heat in the barrel when shooting. Any thoughts?

PS. Big 5 is selling them for $399 while the MSRP is about $450, not much of a discount when you consider that most stores usually sell below MSRP as an every day price. Anybody seen these rifles cheaper elsewhere?

jmlivingston
11-14-2006, 9:11 AM
I've not handled one of them, but read a few articles that weren't too complementary. Most suggested going to a Stevens 200 which is comparable price-wise and is a proven design with more accessories.

John

Outlaw Josey Wales
11-15-2006, 2:06 AM
In the articles that you read what were the specific drawbacks or complaints about the rifle?

M. Sage
11-15-2006, 2:35 AM
I found one online from Outdoor Life that had accuracy problems.

It said the barrel didn't fit correctly in the stock and the trigger pull was like "dragging an anchor across a gravel road." Accuracy was about 3 MOA! Though they do say that they get pre-production stuff sometimes, and that might have been the problem.

I found some other article that said they were getting MOA-ish accuracy at 200 yards.

DDs Ranch
11-15-2006, 4:35 AM
i find them to be quite the rifle for the money

Outlaw Josey Wales
11-15-2006, 11:43 AM
i find them to be quite the rifle for the money

Please tell us more?

jmlivingston
11-15-2006, 11:50 AM
In the articles that you read what were the specific drawbacks or complaints about the rifle?

Only article I could find this morning before running out of the house was in Peterson's Hunting magazine, 2007 annual edition. All they indicated was that it had several poor reviews, but with Mossberg's manufacturing history that they should get the kinks worked out soon....

Sorry, wish I had time to look for more. I know I've read more about it than just that.

John