PDA

View Full Version : Anyone shoot in the Desert? Site locations plz

accordingtoome
11-14-2006, 3:59 AM
Greetings all. I would like to go shooting this weekend and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. A good outdoor range or somewhere in the desert maybe. I would also like to stay within 2 hours of los angeles. Thanks peeps :D

wildcard
11-14-2006, 7:49 AM
One of the only places I shoot anymore is the desert. If you go straight up the 14 for about 100 miles (1.5 hr drive) until you reach about where it crosses the 58, Mojave/ California City is where I shoot. I'd give you more directions, but I usually go by feel and memory rather than following street signs. Send me a PM if you're interested in carpooling. If you're doing long range shooting, it's a good idea to have a spotter look out for dirt bikers crossing your path.

ARRRR-15
11-14-2006, 9:01 AM
I make it out here every once in a while hour and a 1/2 from SD though.

http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/impvy01.htm

May be a little far for you. It's a nice range though

David002
11-14-2006, 9:08 AM
One of the only places I shoot anymore is the desert. If you go straight up the 14 for about 100 miles (1.5 hr drive) until you reach about where it crosses the 58, Mojave/ California City is where I shoot. I'd give you more directions, but I usually go by feel and memory rather than following street signs. Send me a PM if you're interested in carpooling. If you're doing long range shooting, it's a good idea to have a spotter look out for dirt bikers crossing your path.
are there signs posted about where you can shoot? i was lookin for a place that i could shoot out in the dessert a couple weeks ago and kept gettin pretty general locations. :confused:

rod
11-14-2006, 9:24 AM
This might be too far from LA but it's a cool place to camp/shoot/hunt. I haven't been out there in awhile but I'm sure it's still the same. Take the 10 East towards Blythe. Between Desert Center and Blythe there is an off ramp that looks like it leads straight to hell. It does. It's called Chuckawala Rd. That will turn into a dirt road called Corn Springs Road and it leads to the middle of nothing....and I mean nothing. About 10 or 12 miles into the hills, you'll find a wide spot in the road with a porta-crapper, a couple of tables, and a water faucet (natural spring water).

There's some rock out croppings that hold a LOT of rattlesnakes so be careful walking around there. There's always more quail than I ever imagined running around too. If you look around in the rock outcroppings furthest from camp, you can still find Indian pictographs. The ones close to camp have been removed or damaged by idiots. Anyway...it's extremely hot during the summer, loaded with rattlesnakes, and no one else around for miles and miles. With that in mind, you might consider brushing up on some first aid skills and bring your own first aid kit. The nearest medical aid (or civilization) is in Desert Center which isn't much of a town to begin with. If you look on a map, Desert Center is the little dot that resembles a fly terd in the middle of the big blank space.

I know if any of you end up going here, you'll take care of it. If you see anyone else trashing it, please flatten the bastards tires and make them walk out (with their trash). The desert is a beautiful place and Corn Springs is no exception.

David002
11-14-2006, 9:38 AM
are there any limitations on what firearms can be shot at Corn Springs? would that be considered san bernadino? also, to get to the area do you need 4x4? i have a sedan :p

rod
11-14-2006, 10:02 AM
I was just sitting here (at work) reflecting on my reply I just wrote and it brought back some fond memories. I lived in Desert Center when I was a kid and would go to Corn Springs all the time. You can get there in a car but a 4X4 is the way to go. There's some really old abandoned mines out there too (4X4 required). My dad and I use to take a metal detector out there and find all kinds of antiques. I never found any gold but I really wasn't looking for it either.

There's another pretty cool place near Desert Center but I'll have to go back out there and get some GPS marks on it. You'll need a 4X4 to get to this place. There's a place nick named "Hell" where Patton trained with his tanks back in the day. There's a dirt road that goes out there but it doesn't have a name. If you look closely at the base of the Chuckawala mountains, you can see the remains of a tank stuck in some rocks. The foundations to some buildings are still there and some trails going here and there but that's about all that's left. I found a WW2 style helmet and a few spent casings. If Patton could shoot there, I'm sure we can too. It's mostly flat land so if you wanted to do some long range shooting, that would be a good place to go. There's also some small sand dunes near by that are kinda fun to go up and down on. You can also find some Indian artifacts burried in some of the washes. I've found arrowheads and pottery all over the place out there and it's probably still there. I just looked at what I found and threw it back. I don't want to sound weird or supersticious but I didn't want to piss off any spirits that might be out there and ruin any good karma. You'll need all the good karma you can get if you get stuck way out there.

rod
11-14-2006, 10:08 AM
are there any limitations on what firearms can be shot at Corn Springs? would that be considered san bernadino? also, to get to the area do you need 4x4? i have a sedan :p

Are you kidding? This place is out in the middle of the desert and I mean middle. There isn't anything around for miles and miles. Buzzards don't even fly out there. If you had a tank, you could shoot it out there and no one would ever know. Seriously, you can shoot anything you want out there. No one is going to bother you and I doubt anyone will even see you. It's in Riverside County and is BLM land. You can get there in a sedan but it's kinda bumpy. Just go slow and you'll make it.

wildcard
11-14-2006, 11:57 AM
I have yet to see a "Shoot Here" sign anywhere. As long as you're not shooting near any people, roads, or buildings.. you're good to go. If you want some authoratative information, you could contact the BLM Jawbone Station. They'll be able to point you in the right direction with some specifics.

olegk
11-14-2006, 7:47 PM
This might be too far from LA but it's a cool place to camp/shoot/hunt. I haven't been out there in awhile but I'm sure it's still the same. Take the 10 East towards Blythe. Between Desert Center and Blythe there is an off ramp that looks like it leads straight to hell. It does. It's called Chuckawala Rd. That will turn into a dirt road called Corn Springs Road and it leads to the middle of nothing....and I mean nothing. About 10 or 12 miles into the hills, you'll find a wide spot in the road with a porta-crapper, a couple of tables, and a water faucet (natural spring water).

There's some rock out croppings that hold a LOT of rattlesnakes so be careful walking around there. There's always more quail than I ever imagined running around too. If you look around in the rock outcroppings furthest from camp, you can still find Indian pictographs. The ones close to camp have been removed or damaged by idiots. Anyway...it's extremely hot during the summer, loaded with rattlesnakes, and no one else around for miles and miles. With that in mind, you might consider brushing up on some first aid skills and bring your own first aid kit. The nearest medical aid (or civilization) is in Desert Center which isn't much of a town to begin with. If you look on a map, Desert Center is the little dot that resembles a fly terd in the middle of the big blank space.

I know if any of you end up going here, you'll take care of it. If you see anyone else trashing it, please flatten the bastards tires and make them walk out (with their trash). The desert is a beautiful place and Corn Springs is no exception.
Could you IM GPS coordinates?

accordingtoome
11-14-2006, 9:17 PM
Are you kidding? This place is out in the middle of the desert and I mean middle. There isn't anything around for miles and miles. Buzzards don't even fly out there. If you had a tank, you could shoot it out there and no one would ever know. Seriously, you can shoot anything you want out there. No one is going to bother you and I doubt anyone will even see you. It's in Riverside County and is BLM land. You can get there in a sedan but it's kinda bumpy. Just go slow and you'll make it.

thats what im talking about :D man o man... it sounds like i should take a few more people though too anyone want to plan a trip on the 25th ??

Forever-A-Soldier
11-14-2006, 9:28 PM
Count me in for a road trip out there. I've got GPS and am along the way here in Palm Springs. Finding that old tank sounds like a great adventure.

F.A.S. Out

accordingtoome
11-14-2006, 9:39 PM
ohhh man ROD!! what do you say?? Lets get a road trip up and running. Should i start a new "Desert Meet Thread"? :D

m1371 aka Mat are you in for this??

Forever-A-Soldier
11-14-2006, 10:25 PM
I've got topo maps of this area and have located some of the old camps on the map and one of the main training areas where they practiced. I don't have a 4x4, so anyone with one would be encouraged to be the "designated driver."

Keep me in the loop!

F.A.S. Out

rod
11-15-2006, 5:49 AM
ohhh man ROD!! what do you say?? Lets get a road trip up and running. Should i start a new "Desert Meet Thread"? :D

m1371 aka Mat are you in for this??

I'd love to get a trip together. I really miss that place. It would have to be after the Holidays for me though.

BrianK_73
02-18-2007, 5:51 AM
Anybody ever go out there? I've done a map recon but haven't actually explored the area.

In case anybody else is interested, here are some topos of the area.
http://www.blm.gov/ca/pa/wilderness/wa/areas/chuckwalla_mountains.html

Here are coordinates to the Corn Springs Campground: 3337'34''N 11519'33''W

(Copy and paste into Google Maps and you'll have a good idea of where it's at).

stuckin
02-18-2007, 7:21 AM
not sure if this one was posted but out by calico gost town there were a lot of nice places to shoot back in canyons. there was camping were ever u wanted to back in there and i did not see any no shooting signs. it was a fun place with a lot of old mining shafts to look at. also the little gost town to take the family to have some fun
hope this helps
stuck

SnWnMe
02-18-2007, 8:24 AM
Always bring a buddy, always have a loaded sidearm and never go downrange at the same time.

stuckin
02-18-2007, 10:07 AM
sn thats good advice. u never know whos is going to come up on u when out in the hills with not to many people around. when we go shooting or just hiking with the kids my wife always has a gun to. good advice
stuck

sgvxdave
03-15-2010, 6:26 PM
Did any of you guys ever get to go out there? Or any other members have any stories/info/tips about this place? I might go out there within the next few weeks