PDA

View Full Version : Case Suggestions?

Tweak338
11-14-2006, 2:02 AM
So there isn't much room in the safe for my OLL.. its leaning in front of the shelves

Looking for a lockable hard case, my price range at the moment is $100 max

an FFA aproved case would be nice... i have searched and haven't seen a decent one that will fit

i have a full length Ace stock and a 16" barrel

Dr. Peter Venkman
11-14-2006, 2:22 AM
Why not get a Walmart special?

Scarecrow Repair
11-14-2006, 7:48 AM
http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/accessories/10483.asp

You supply a padlock. They are not so strong that I'd want to trust them on an airline, but they are lockable and a hard case.

Nefarious
11-14-2006, 8:55 AM
http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/accessories/10483.asp

You supply a padlock. They are not so strong that I'd want to trust them on an airline, but they are lockable and a hard case.

Might as well go to walmart if your going to get a case like that. I picked up 4 just the other day. I mean might as well save yourself the shipping... they are pretty much the same exact case. They just dont say Bushmaster :)

Scarecrow Repair
11-14-2006, 10:11 AM
Might as well go to walmart if your going to get a case like that. I picked up 4 just the other day. I mean might as well save yourself the shipping... they are pretty much the same exact case. They just dont say Bushmaster :)
Good idea, didn't know that, but since I live in the boonies, either I drive a couple of hours for the roundtrip or UPS does. But if they do have some, I will try to plan ahead next time.

Nefarious
11-14-2006, 10:34 AM
Good idea, didn't know that, but since I live in the boonies, either I drive a couple of hours for the roundtrip or UPS does. But if they do have some, I will try to plan ahead next time.

LMAO - I tend to forget that not eveyone lives in the city. For some people it would be cheaper/easier to have it shipped.. than to drive and pick one up :D

tiger222
11-14-2006, 4:19 PM
Big 5 have a double case for $20 on sale from time to time - more than enough room for a carbine:)

maxicon
11-15-2006, 2:07 PM
I have several of the Big 5 cases (they look a lot like the Bushie cases), and they're OK, but not really very good.

The main problems:

- They don't hold the rifles very firmly in the eggcrate foam, and much jostling will end up with them up against the edge.

- The plastic is very flexible and they need locks on both ends, and even then, you can pry the plastic open enough to get some guns out, depending on how long they are.

- The handles on mine have a gap that closes when you pick them up, and it will put a nasty blood blister on your fingers if you're not careful. Just the thing when you're on the way to benchrest a rifle!

They're cheap, and they're OK for certain types of storage, but I much prefer better hard cases or good soft cases. My favorite hard case is the Starlight style, but they're a good bit more expensive and heavier.

http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/StarlightCase.asp

max

five.five-six
11-15-2006, 5:26 PM
I bought 2 metal cases from big 5 about a year ago $50 each. 4 locks on the case and it will hold a 1911, ar-15 car and a 24" bbl scoped ar-10 + a bipod... it was a bit of a jigsaw puzzle but they all fit with space between. I would not use them for shipping of for airlines but they are holding upn just fine for trips to the range and las vegas

Tweak338
11-15-2006, 7:48 PM
I found a case.. guess i passed it up while browsing Cabela's..

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0024419224970a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=rifle+storage&Nty=1&cm_cat=Google&ri=null&No=40&Ntt=rifle+storage&noImage=0&cm_ven=performics&Ntx=matchall&_requestid=111083&cm_pla=shoot_storage&N=4887&cm_ite=rifle%20cases

I think that will suite my needs

Bookworm
11-15-2006, 8:34 PM
That case at Cabela's looks like the one that goes on sale periodically at Big 5. It gets marked down from $40 to $20.

tundraman
11-15-2006, 8:42 PM
Not trying to hijack the thread, but where can I find a small hard lockable case that is DOJ approved for transporting my handgun in my truck to and from the range? Any suggestions/recommendations appreciated.

Bookworm
11-15-2006, 9:11 PM
Tundraman,

Do you still have the case the gun came in? That's the cheap way. If you don't have the original case, go to a gun shop that carries the same make and model--maybe they have an extra case they will give or sell you. Most manufacturer's cases are lockable.

Otherwise, there is a case at Big 5 that is built by the same manufacturer, Doskocil, as the previously mentioned rifle case. They put the rifle and handgun case on sale at the same time.

You could also check out Turner's or just about any gun shop for plastic or aluminum cases.

Having said all the above, I cast my vote for a heavy-duty tool bag for about $10-$20 from Sears, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. You can put the hard or soft gun case(s) inside the "tool" bag. As long as it's lockable, most any case will do.