PDA

View Full Version : 5.45 Corrosive ammo? No worries!

13204u
04-13-2011, 6:57 PM
So I have a lancaster ak-74, despite the guns manufacturer it has been running as of late. Anyways I solely fire corrosive surplus through the gun. I frequently do not clean the gun several weeks after I fire the rifle. Keep in mind I live two blocks from the pacific ocean in the city of San Francisco and do not store the rifle in a temperature controlled climate, rather in my closet. I have never had an issue with rusting. Well from the last time I fired the rifle three weeks ago I finally experienced a few spots of rust in the gas tube. This was after firing it in central California in Bakersfield, California at Five Dogs range some three weeks ago and put some four hundred rounds through it on that range trip. The rest of the rifle is fine, no rust to speak of and I have nearly 4k rounds through it doing the same thing I do every time (waiting weeks to clean). I cleaned everything with hoppes and scrubbed the gas tube really good and the rust went away. My point is there is no reason people should freak out about this ammo, if I live two blocks away from the ocean in one of the most humid environments in the state and experience no rust then you shouldn't worry. Corrosive ammo is cheap and not harmful to your rifle as long as it doesn't sit six months at a time, and even then I have my doubts. I am tired of people fearing this stuff and freaking out. I don't, and won't anytime soon.

crankstar
04-13-2011, 7:06 PM
i agree i have a saiga 5.45. the first time i forgot to clean my rifle after firing corrosive ammo i just about flipped and thought i was going to see some pitting and destruction inside my rifle however there wasnt even any rust. I do have a question tho, have you expirenced alot of ricochets with this ammo? cause ive seen three in 400 rounds none of the other rounds ive fired had the same issue is it becuase its miled steel?

rattlesnake_nm
04-13-2011, 7:10 PM
Thats good info. I have left my 5.45x39 ar15 without cleaning for a week or 2 with zero signs of corrosion. I just figured it was because it is mostly aluminum and is chromed. My mosins will rust right up if I don't clean them.

Josh3239
04-13-2011, 7:11 PM
Your guy's stuff is probably all chrome lined though right? It isn't an issue if it is chrome lined.

MrPlink
04-13-2011, 7:14 PM
yep.
Hell, even if it did rust, you know howmuch you would need before it failed to operate?

Themandalorian
04-13-2011, 7:16 PM
just through your gun in a bore store? easy http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?brandid=1222

schneiderguy
04-13-2011, 8:50 PM
I shot my SGL 31 last weekend with corrosive ammo and got some rust in the gas tube and in the muzzle brake. I shot some hot water though it afterwards, then lubed with CLP, but I'm guessing I didn't get it fully dry before putting it away.

The rust came out right away when I scrubbed it with a toothbrush though, and the chamber and bore are spotless.

13204u
04-14-2011, 10:17 AM
i agree i have a saiga 5.45. the first time i forgot to clean my rifle after firing corrosive ammo i just about flipped and thought i was going to see some pitting and destruction inside my rifle however there wasnt even any rust. I do have a question tho, have you expirenced alot of ricochets with this ammo? cause ive seen three in 400 rounds none of the other rounds ive fired had the same issue is it becuase its miled steel?

Can't say I have ever had any ricochets with this stuff. However I really never shoot rifles at close range enough to notice if it does. Even my AK type rifles I own I shoot at 150yds+ to be honest. Though what you are experience is not typically good.

kingmoochr
04-14-2011, 10:55 AM
This keeps coming up. I too live in SF, shoot corrosive, and after a few weeks, even after cleaning, noticed rust forming on my Tapco muzzle break. It DOES happen, just watch for it and clean it off. It isn't a problem, as stated, but it DOES exist.

stevie
04-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Even though I clean my Bulgarian builds I had rust forming on the muzzle breaks.

Gio
04-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Even though I clean my Bulgarian builds I had rust forming on the muzzle breaks.

Are you using US made mb's or the Bulgarian made mb's? I have teh Bulgarians on my 2, umm 1 Bulgarian 74 and I have not seen any sign of rusting on those.

13204u
04-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Well I find that if I take a cooking pot from the kitchen, one that is big enough to hold the bolt, bolt carrier, muzzle brake, recoil spring and top cover, and fill it with water and bring it to a rolling boil after dumping all the parts in there I have no issues with rust. I just fish them out with a pair of tongs after about ten minutes at boil. Then dry and clean/oil as usual. For the receiver and barrel I use a hot teapot/oven mits and hold the rifle over the sink making sure to pour hot water in the action, down the barrel, and into the gas block. Then same procedure, dry, clean, and oil. While this has been a bit more time consuming in terms of cleaning, I am finding that I am not having any rust reoccurring between uses. Even so my original point was I am not having rust form to begin with.

stevie
04-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Are you using US made mb's or the Bulgarian made mb's? I have teh Bulgarians on my 2, umm 1 Bulgarian 74 and I have not seen any sign of rusting on those.

Bulgarian breaks, the rust was forming on the outer edges where the chrome lining ends.

lelandEOD
04-14-2011, 1:38 PM
I let a friend shoot my PMKMS at the range and didn't check to see what kind of ammo he was shooting first. By the time I got home, there was rust dribbles all over my bolt carrier and bolt head. I was fuming mad. Come to find out he was shooting Yugo surplus.

That Yugo stuff corroded my rifle in less than two hours. This rifle is parkerized and not painted so that may have made the difference. Most Lancasters I've seen are painted so perhaps that helps.

AM9000
04-14-2011, 2:03 PM
Okay, its a fact that when combined with moisture, the residue from corrosive ammo will cause rust. I think you got lucky or are just reaping the benefits of the dry california climate. I prefer that my guns stay completely rust free, so I am not willing to do this experiment.

I do agree however that a lot of people are over critical of corrosive ammo. It can be used without any adverse affects. You just have to do the proper cleaning regiment.

rdmax
04-14-2011, 5:00 PM
I have no experience on this. This is military surplus. I would think that if it was a big issue, would the military not use something else, rather than seeing their soldiers armed with rusty, potentially malfunctioning guns? If you are on active duty, how often can you even be able to clean the gun, let alone have access to hot water to wash it out?

metalliman545
04-14-2011, 6:17 PM
In the army, live in georgia. Shot corrosive through my saiga 545 using surplus and my wasr 10. Shipped them back to cali. Over the course of the 6 day journey, guess what? Pistons had rusted shut. Yes they are corrosive as ****. Coming home in june will show you will take pics for a week. Its happened to me. I'm from oxnard ca, right on the beach

metalliman545
04-14-2011, 6:20 PM
I have no experience on this. This is military surplus. I would think that if it was a big issue, would the military not use something else, rather than seeing their soldiers armed with rusty, potentially malfunctioning guns? If you are on active duty, how often can you even be able to clean the gun, let alone have access to hot water to wash it out?

Oh believe me you will have access to hot water when out in the field :p the main problem is finding COOL/COLD water. Lol