PDA

View Full Version : SKS Fixed Mag?

209Man
04-13-2011, 2:44 PM
Looking for a SKS fixed magazine 5 round capacity. I found the 10rd online, but wanted to see if they make a 5 round.

dieselpower
04-13-2011, 2:46 PM
they are hard to find. there was a shop in IL doing this mod since they have a centerfire 5 rd max hunting law...maybe it was FL... don't know...

In any case there is no centerfire max rd hunting law in CA, so we don't really have a source for them.

209Man
04-13-2011, 2:49 PM
they are hard to find. there was a shop in IL doing this mod since they have a centerfire 5 rd max hunting law...maybe it was FL... don't know...

In any case there is no centerfire max rd hunting law in CA, so we don't really have a source for them.

So I just have to make sure it's fixed and have only 5 rounds in the mag while hunting right?

CSACANNONEER
04-13-2011, 2:49 PM
Buy an extra 10 round OEM mag and make your own. Hell, you don't even need to pemanently block it.

CSACANNONEER
04-13-2011, 2:51 PM
So I just have to make sure it's fixed and have only 5 rounds in the mag while hunting right?

???? If you are hunting in Ca, you can use a 250 belt of ammo or a 150 round drum if you legally own them and want to. There is no restrictions on rifle or handgun magazine capacities while hunting in California.

FiveSeven
04-13-2011, 2:52 PM
You can plug your existing one with dremmel'd block of wood to accept 5 rd. You can make it where it fits pretty tight. Measure twice cut once and it's quite doable.

Quinc
04-13-2011, 3:54 PM
???? If you are hunting in Ca, you can use a 250 belt of ammo or a 150 round drum if you legally own them and want to. There is no restrictions on rifle or handgun magazine capacities while hunting in California.

To bad the Saiga 12 with 10rd mag doesn't fit into that. :(

dieselpower
04-13-2011, 4:21 PM
To bad the Saiga 12 with 10rd mag doesn't fit into that. :(

shotguns do have capacity limits while hunting.

an SKS would not because its a centerfire rifle, not smooth-bore shotgun.

209Man
04-19-2011, 6:20 PM
So i can't buy a sks with a fixed 10 round magazine? This person is saying it is a fixed 5 round, but looks like a 10 round to me. He lives in N.D.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j17/DemonExecutor1/0069.jpg

Mssr. Eleganté
04-19-2011, 6:47 PM
So i can't buy a sks with a fixed 10 round magazine? This person is saying it is a fixed 5 round, but looks like a 10 round to me. He lives in N.D.

Yes, you can buy an SKS with a fixed 10 round magazine in California. You can hunt with one in California too. Why do you want a 5 round magazine?

209Man
04-19-2011, 6:51 PM
Yes, you can buy an SKS with a fixed 10 round magazine in California. You can hunt with one in California too. Why do you want a 5 round magazine?

I was told by a local gun store it had to be a fixed 5 roun:od.

brantly04
04-19-2011, 7:00 PM
10 is fine, mine is 10.

And to explain to people why other states have a fixed 5 rounder.... because they have regs. on hunting that state that.

When I lived in Nebraska the law was..when hunting deer you could only have a 5 round magazine....I assume in ND. it is the same law.

Bigtwin
04-19-2011, 7:24 PM
As CSA said there are no restictions on capacity for centerfire rifle rounds in CA(shocking as that may be) If you legaly own 30round ak mags you are GTG in CA! Other states do however have limits on the capacity for hunting.

209Man
04-19-2011, 7:42 PM
As CSA said there are no restictions on capacity for centerfire rifle rounds in CA(shocking as that may be) If you legaly own 30round ak mags you are GTG in CA! Other states do however have limits on the capacity for hunting.

Ok, i understand this, but can i purchase a 10 round magazine sks that is out of state? Sorry, i'm getting confused lol.

Mssr. Eleganté
04-19-2011, 8:18 PM
Ok, i understand this, but can i purchase a 10 round magazine sks that is out of state? Sorry, i'm getting confused lol.

Most SKS rifles are perfectly legal to import into California. You will need to have the seller ship the rifle to a California dealer (FFL) who will then transfer the rifle to you after doing the DROS, background check, 10 day wait.

SKS rifles with detachable magazines are banned from importation and transfer in California. Yugo M59/66 rifles, sometimes called Yugoslavian SKS rifles, can't be owned in California unless the grenade launcher at the end of the muzzle has been removed or deactivated.

209Man
04-19-2011, 8:52 PM
Thanks everyone for helping me out! What's the chance of buying a "dud"? Like it doesn't shoot straight or anything? The owner said he put 20 rounds through it on some water jugs, no problems. Again thanks to everyone that posted.

Crawfish141
04-19-2011, 9:01 PM
Thanks everyone for helping me out! What's the chance of buying a "dud"? Like it doesn't shoot straight or anything? The owner said he put 20 rounds through it on some water jugs, no problems. Again thanks to everyone that posted.

It's unlikely, SKS's are built like tanks. I've never heard of one giving anyone trouble. Which country of origin is it (Russian, Chinese, Yugoslavian)? All you need to buy is ammo and stripper clips (they make loading the rifle way faster).

I love my Russian one!

209Man
04-19-2011, 9:06 PM
It's the Chinese sks.