PDA

View Full Version : Build the best CA legal AR possible for under $1000.00

Remaxman
04-13-2011, 3:35 PM
Hi to all!
This is my first time on this site and I'm looking to you AR enthusiasts for some suggestions.
I live in Cali and am finally going to build an AR.
I'm not a leo or competitive shooter. I'm an outdoorsman with good knowledge of weapons and array of them. I currently own a SIG P220, SIG Pro 9mm, Mini 14 SS w/Synthetic stock, Tikka T3 in 3006, Mossberg 500 and a 10/22. I'm also a prepper with a strong belief in having what I need to protect myself and my own if that time ever comes. My AR will most probably be my "Go To" weapon in a SH situation. I tend to like quality, durable, light, simple & functional weapons. Some type of tactical stock, 2 stage trigger, red dot optic, night lite, sites (Type?), flash hider & probably a 1 in 9 twist barrel since that what my Mini14 has and I already have approx 50k rounds of assorted 223 from 55gr. to 62gr. Not sure of the length 14" or 16"?
I'm also not sure about all the other parts needed to build yet, but I'll leave it up to you all to let me know what you suggest and why.
Thanks up front for your suggestions.

Remaxman.

"It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger".:33:

Dwight D. Eisenhower

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dieselpower
04-13-2011, 3:39 PM
where are you located in CA? What city?

Go to your local gunshop and then come back and tell us what they had to sell.

until you do this any and all answer to your post are worthless.

Remaxman
04-13-2011, 3:50 PM
I'm located in North San Diego County. I'm not only relying on local gun shops for parts. I'm also willing to order whatever I need from wherever I can as long as it's Cali legal. I.E Brownell's, Midway, Bravo Company...

C_1
04-13-2011, 3:52 PM
You got a lot of reading to do. It really depends on your preferences and how much you want to spend.

A BB is going to hinder the AR's ability as a Go-To, but BB's are necessary if you want a collapsible stock, flash hider, and/or forward grip. A 2 stage trigger is probably not a good idea on a SD weapon, but to each his own. You dont really need night sights but if you like em. A 1 in 9 barrel will do but the 1 in 7 is most versatile. If you want a 14.5" barrel, a 2" or longer muzzle device needs to be pinned and welded. Some of the best muzzle devices are by AAC, BattleComp, PWS, and Surefire. Aimpoint and EOTech makes the best red dots and holo sights. A light and sling are good to have on a fighting rifle as well.

And what do you mean by "build"? Install LPK and slap on an upper? If so, the only special tool you need is a stock wrench, and here's a quick list..

1. lower receiver: Mega, Spikes, CMMG, Stag, TM, etc etc..
2. lower parts kit: Daniel Defense, Armalite, RRA, Stag, Spikes..
3. bullet button: Prince50, Raddlock, Assault Planet..
4. stock & buffer assembly: LMT, VLTOR, Magpul, Stag..
5. complete upper/bcg/ch/handguards: LMT, Daniel Defense, BCM..
6. sights: TROY, Midwest Industries, YHM, ARMS, etc etc..
7. ammo & mags

Edit: Forgot about your budget. You can definitely build a good AR for $1000, but including optics, thats another story..

pyro3k2
04-13-2011, 4:00 PM
got one of these
http://www.03designgroup.com/photo/bcm-complete-ar15-upper-and-lower-receivers/bcm-leftside-lower.jpg
And put one of these ontop of it
http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/stag/stag_3hl.jpg

Baconator
04-13-2011, 4:03 PM
I can tell you about my most recent build:

MEGA lower $99+tax and DROS=142.91
Palmetto State Armory MOE LBK $139.99 +shipping=147.99
LMT Upper deal from Midwest PX +
Magpul BIUS from Midewest PX +shipping=660.95
Radlock=$35.99 + tax=39.22
$991.07

It isn't the best rifle ever made, but you could do a lot worse.

dieselpower
04-13-2011, 4:09 PM
got one of these
http://www.03designgroup.com/photo/bcm-complete-ar15-upper-and-lower-receivers/bcm-leftside-lower.jpg
And put one of these ontop of it
http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/stag/stag_3hl.jpg

just pushing that button aren't you...lol

dieselpower
04-13-2011, 4:11 PM
Ok guys give him a good spot to get a lower.

the guys who don't know the area he's in post links to uppers he can buy and have shipped to his house.

for great prices on used gear

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=7&f=159

or

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=93

themailman
04-13-2011, 4:14 PM
iron sights
parralax tactical
turners san marcos

go to one of those places to buy a lower. then, order your upper from wherever you like. boom. done.

21SF
04-13-2011, 4:15 PM
Spikes or BCM

JDW67
04-13-2011, 4:19 PM
just pushing that button aren't you...lol

He does love the piston...

dieselpower
04-13-2011, 4:20 PM
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=119&t=864168
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=119&t=864155

good deals

dieselpower
04-13-2011, 4:21 PM
He does love the piston...

its a BCM lower with a Stag LH upper...its a joke from another thread.

JDW67
04-13-2011, 4:29 PM
its a BCM lower with a Stag LH upper...its a joke from another thread.

Ah, nevermind...the M4C crew would love that...

FourLoko
04-13-2011, 4:38 PM
Check the classifieds and you can buy one complete

or there's some cheap lowers for sale in the Commercial Classifieds section

and I bookmarked 7 uppers for sale locally in the Private Classifieds

$1,000 is tight

hornswaggled
04-13-2011, 4:53 PM
Go down to Parallax Tactical in Sorrento Valley. Friendly, knowledgeable guys who will let you check stuff out and hook you up. They even build their own retail models.

Viper
04-13-2011, 5:58 PM
Check out Red X Arms. I bought my upper from them.

http://www.redxarms.com/

d sauce
04-13-2011, 6:31 PM
Parallax Tactical.

An Aero Precision stripped lower from them for 89.99 + Tax + DROS = A good deal that is in your area.

It's all down hill after that since you can buy everything else online and just have it shipped to your doorstep.

Vinrx7
04-13-2011, 10:27 PM
There is also Direct Action Solutions in Solana Beach. You could get yourself a complete spikes ar middy for a little under a G. Only thing is that everything spikes is backordered everywhere.

SLOAR15
04-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Parallax Tactical will guide you in the right direction. They have good prices and service and are local.
I just put together a complete CMMG for under $1k from these guys. www.elementarms.com , They were great to deal with, shipped quickly, and even installed my parts kit, bullet button, and included a 5 rnd mag for free!

Vipersx911
04-13-2011, 11:26 PM
I'm located in North San Diego County. I'm not only relying on local gun shops for parts. I'm also willing to order whatever I need from wherever I can as long as it's Cali legal. I.E Brownell's, Midway, Bravo Company...

Only part you truly have to buy in person is the lower, other than that feel free to order anything you want online so long as it is legal. In regards to the part of SD you reside in I am in North County SD as well. DAS right now has a good selection they are located in Solana Beach not far from where I live. Otherwise there is Turners which has some things, but normally sells fully assembled AR's and again they are going to run you around 1000. PM me for any other details, I am in the market for the same thing so maybe we can work together on this.

evidens83
04-13-2011, 11:35 PM
+1 for Parallax Tactical and Direct Action Solutions for the OLL. Pretty much everything else you can buy online if you choose. Or make the hour drive north to Rifle Gear to check out their uppers. RRA, Stag, Daniel Defense, Rifle Gear, BCM, LMT just to name a few. All quality uppers.

evidens83
04-13-2011, 11:37 PM
Forgot to mention the Cal Guns classifieds! Good deals on parts out there. Just have to look ;)

Cave
04-13-2011, 11:56 PM
Here is my build. $1033.78 OTD

BCM Carbine Upper
BCM Charging Handle Large
BCM Bolt Carrier Group MPI Auto M16
Mega Lower Receiver
DSC Butt Stock
Magpul MOE Carbine Handguard
Magpul MBUS Rear Backup Sight (Ordered 3 days before the GEN2 came out haha)
DPMS Lower Parts Kit
Of course a lovely bullet button!
Magpul 10/20 Magazine

Shooting amazing! Good luck with your build

hefedehefe
04-14-2011, 12:10 AM
==Spikes tactical? Complete for $799? I was thinking about getting one too, but decided to go with a hunting rifle

CK_32
04-14-2011, 12:14 AM
I'm slowly getting over Calguns... I feel like I just repeat the same answers over and over and over again each and every week....

But just in different words...

626Tony
04-14-2011, 12:21 AM
I'm slowly getting over Calguns... I feel like I just repeat the same answers over and over and over again each and every week....

i agree

MultiCaliber
04-14-2011, 9:11 AM

Yeah but think about it. Every AR we help a new guy put together is another (albeit small) step in the right direction and in some cases it turns regular dudes that have guns into hardcore gun enthusiasts like us.

Keep it up, sir. Hold the line. :patriot:

JDW67
04-14-2011, 9:31 AM

Then don't answer...:)

john.t.singh
04-14-2011, 9:42 AM
Heres my sub 1000 initial build and I'm from SD...
Jd lower - after tax and dros about 170
Jd upper, yhm quad rail, bho 1/8 poly barrel, yhm comp, bcg and charging handle- 500
Rock river arms lower kit - 65
Magpul stock, spring, buffer - 170
Magpul mbus 1 - 65
Total - 970

Then I went out and blew my budget with an etch xps01, nickel boron bcg, and bcm large charging handle...

john.t.singh
04-14-2011, 9:44 AM
But... You can easily get the an upper ( jd + citadel barrel) for like 350 out the door...

And you can get a cheaper stock etc. I would check out the market or even the gun show... Pay cash and you save on tax... 8.75 of 1000 is like almost $90 dollars...

Sam
04-14-2011, 9:51 AM
Yeah but think about it. Every AR we help a new guy put together is another (albeit small) step in the right direction and in some cases it turns regular dudes that have guns into hardcore gun enthusiasts like us.

Keep it up, sir. Hold the line. :patriot:

Excellent answer. I don't have a lot of rifle experience but have been piggy backing off of these beginners' questions and appreciate the posters in the rifle section.

dieselpower
04-14-2011, 10:16 AM
A rich buddy of mine told me, "We are celebrating my wifes birthday." I said, "Great how old is she?" He said, "She being born today, and in 20 years I will meet her and marry her."

New AR, AK, EBR and general gun owners are born everyday. Its your job as a gun owner to pass on the information you have learned to them.

The first thing to die in an emergency is information. I laugh at the SHTF movies and topics dealing with long term events. A ten year old living during the event will not even know how to do the simplest thing...unless someone is there to pass on knowledge.

Yes its repetitive on these forums. Its that way because every single day we gain new members who need info. at the minimum show them the search feature, others will repost information they have learned.

OutlawDon
04-14-2011, 10:56 AM

+1

Yup. Haven't spent as much time here.

But I do understand the enthusiasm and quench for knowledge when one is a newbie and need guidance. At the same rate, I can only discuss the same thing over and over again so much...what barrel length, what ammo, what lower, what upper, what optics, etc.

Luckily we have some good people here willing to help out time and again.

Cheers to you and all!

rodeoflyer
04-14-2011, 11:35 AM
AR's are like Lay's potato chips..........you can't have just one. :D

Instead of dicking around with this thread and getting 101 different ideas from the various fanboys, do this -

Go to Turners or where ever and buy a complete, ready to go AR. There are several for as low as $700.

Use that rifle to learn with. Learn to shoot it. Learn to maintain it. Learn to disassemble and reassemble it. Discover your likes and dislikes.

THEN - gou out and buy all the cool **** you want and build the rifle that YOU want.

That's what I did, anyway. I bought a lower (paid WAY too much for it at Greta's :mad:) , and then bought an "everything but a stripped lower" kit (all Stag) and put it together.

My second AR is built from scratch with handpicked parts that I sourced individually.

SR-71 BLACKBIRD
04-14-2011, 11:47 AM
http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=3883ea42834bec6395b912704&id=c98a168421&e=66ba84971a

I purchased from Sacramento Black Riffle. Got their complete lower with Magpul MOE upgrade $359 back then.

Went with the Spikes mid-length and added A2 carry handle:

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/spikes-tactical-16-midlength-le-upper-556-p-392.html

If you search their forums on their site you can find coupon codes. I found a 5% off code which pretty much paid for the shipping.

With tax DOJ fees I'm into my AR for $1040.

Spaceghost
04-14-2011, 12:46 PM
You are not going to get all of the features you want for 1000 dollars or less. Most two stage triggers alone will eat up 20% of your proposed budget. You need to trim your specs or up your budget. If you want a quality red dot aka aimpoint or eotech, they will run around 4 hundred dollars and up. I would forget about night sights, since a red dot will do the same function.

My suggestion: Sell some of that ammo or just build a solid build (iron sights and a single stage trigger) that previous posters have mentioned and save up for you optics and two stag trigger.

beedoublejay
04-14-2011, 12:57 PM
I am $792 in to my build and the only things I have left to buy is a rear site and bullet button in order to have a fully functional gun. I have managed to get some "upgraded" parts for this price. My optics will put me over $1,000 but that is optional.

Here is a list of parts:

JD Machine Lower
RRA Lower parts kit
Palmetto State Armory complete upper with 16.5" Citadel barrel
Magpul MOE grip
Magpul MOE hand guard
Magpul CTS Stock
1x 10/20 Pmag
1x 10/30 Pmag
ATI Mil spec buffer tube
Magpul BAD lever

Norsemen308
04-14-2011, 1:11 PM
GUN show.. alll i gotta say... pick up a cmmg lower or stag arms lower, IMHO only two companies I would go with. you can pick up COMPLETE lowers for either company at a gunshow for about 330-250 bucks... I just did at the last orange county show... then walked two tables over and bout a stag 3s diamond head for 425.... So for 850 i have a fully functional ar just time to throw on the extras...

MultiCaliber
04-14-2011, 1:35 PM
Something to think on for your desired two-stage trigger. RRA NM 2-stage trigger. It can be had for a very reasonable price. That said, it's definitely not a hair trigger, but you -can- tell the difference over a standard 8lb-ish AR single stage "combat trigger".

For a first AR build, your one-stop shop could very well be http://www.del-ton.com/

Complete rifle kits less lower receiver and bullet button-and you can customize to a reasonable extent for nominal fees what upgrades you want your kit to contain. You can easily stay within your price range with a kit from these guys. Colt, Daniel Defense, Lewis Machine and Tool or Bravo Company they are not, but the quality is still plenty good and the customer service is outstanding.

Some pointers for general selection if you want your rifle to take as good a care of you as you do of it.

1. You want chrome lined barrel/chamber. This makes cleaning the bore and chamber much easier.

2. Rails! Most of the quality accessories/mounts are for 1913 mil-std rails. The options are just about limitless here. Del-ton offers reasonable upgrades that they will install on the complete upper they send you as part of the kit. If you don't buy a quad-railed upper the first time, you will spend extra dough upgrading later. Trust me on this one.

3. Try to limit the weight of your base rifle. Most AR's have several pounds of junk hung all over them by the time they're "done". If your rifle itself weighs 8lbs plus, you'll regret it if you ever have to actually carry this thing further than the shooting bench.

Good luck, buddy. And welcome to your very own case of Black Rifle Disease.

bighead
04-14-2011, 2:47 PM
I love my $799 mil-spec AR from Spike's Tactical.Shoots flawlessly and accurately.

Remaxman
04-14-2011, 2:50 PM
Thanks to all you guy's for your input and suggestions. It's all great stuff. I know some of you have said you get sick and tired of discussing the same old stuff over and over especially with us newbies, but hey! thats what being part of a forum is all about. Experienced guy's with the knowledge passing it on and helping new ones like myself and we do appreciate it!:notworthy: Later on when we become more knowledgable like yourselves, we'll gladly pass it on to the next group of newbies. In regards to my build, I know that I may end up spending a few more $ than my target of a grand, and that's ok. My primary goal is still ending up with a fully functional, very reliable weapon with the best parts available. So, please keep your suggestions coming!
Thanks again,
Remaxman

resident-shooter
04-14-2011, 2:52 PM
Saiga in 5.45 X39 and a truck of ammo :D

john.t.singh
04-14-2011, 10:25 PM
My biggest mistake was to buy my first ar pre built from turners. Never again

RLTW
04-15-2011, 1:18 AM
[QUOTE=Remaxman;6196082]Hi to all!
This is my first time on this site and I'm looking to you AR enthusiasts for some suggestions.
I live in Cali and am finally going to build an AR.

I tend to like quality, durable, light, simple & functional weapons. Some type of tactical stock, 2 stage trigger, red dot optic, night lite, sites (Type?), flash hider & probably a 1 in 9 twist barrel since that what my Mini14 has and I already have approx 50k rounds of assorted 223 from 55gr. to 62gr. Not sure of the length 14" or 16"?
I'm also not sure about all the other parts needed to build yet, but I'll leave it up to you all to let me know what you suggest and why.
Thanks up front for your suggestions.

Remaxman.

QUOTE]

Hi Remaxman,

Go to JD machine Tech here in San Diego. They can put together anything you want as far as AR platform. They make many uppers and lowers for brand name AR's... with that manufacture's name on the product.

They are local and take care of the customer. Jesse is a great guy.

Personally I would go with the 16" due to legality issues and with the 14" you have to have the muzzle brake or flash hidder perm attached.

1/9 is fine with the grain bullets you have. If you plan on going with any higher grain then a 1/7 would be reccomended. The 1/7 stablizes the higher grain bullets at the length barrel you are wanting better.

If you don't know this yet... You can buy any upper and have it shipped directly to your house. As well as buy parts and put things together with out any issues.

Lowers have to go to a FFL (complete or stripped) After you get it out of gun jail you can build it or if you plan on going with "evil features" you then have to put a mag lock installed. If going featureles you don't have to put the stupid lock on.

Take my advise and go to JD machine they are on pacific hwy next to the Vietnam vets housing and across from MCRD. Just walk in and ask to see Jesse or Eric.

Good luck on your choices.

glock7
04-15-2011, 6:35 AM
Then don't answer...:)

^i agree. sometimes the water is murky and you need a little direction. with all the helpful hints from others who are willing to help and not give condescending answers i've been able to glean some great advice on all aspects of the AR. to the OP just keep searching the forums such as the different ar-15 forums, that's a good site to find different out of state vendors who sell uppers and other equipment or accessories at a decent price. good luck

glock7
04-15-2011, 6:39 AM
Saiga in 5.45 X39 and a truck of ammo :D

^yesss! that is going to be my next purchase. on the fence about 7.62 or 5.45. then another AR....guns are expensive and addicting!:eek:

Sonic_mike
04-15-2011, 6:47 AM
Palmetto has a lower for $65 rite now.