View Full Version : Fathers pistol.

04-13-2011, 2:34 PM
I was wondering, I plan on going hog hunting soon, and my dad has a TT-33 and I was wondering am I legally able to bring it as a side arm while hunting? I'm not legally able to OWN one, but am I legally able to USE one?
I'm 19.

04-13-2011, 2:36 PM
Actually you are legally able to own a handgun. All you have to do is have your dad gift it to you. You must have a valid HSC and im not sure if you have to DROS it or just send in the form. Someone will be along to clear it up soon.

04-13-2011, 2:38 PM
Wait, you can do that? I though you still had to be 21?

04-13-2011, 2:45 PM
Wait, you can do that? I though you still had to be 21?

Federal law says 21 to buy from a dealer, state law says 21 to DROS. Intrafamilial ftf transactions are exempt from DROS.

ETA: I think your dad will have to file a notice of transfer, and you'd have to file a Voluntary Registration.

Someone should be along to link you to the forms.

04-13-2011, 2:49 PM
Wait, you can do that? I though you still had to be 21?

Nope 18 and older can legally get a handgun from there Father/Mother and I believe grandfather/Grandmother. I will try and find a link.

04-13-2011, 2:54 PM
Handgun transfer to 18-20 is OK
12078(c)(2) also means parents or grandparents can transfer handguns to children or grandchildren 18 or older. Since it's illegal for dealers to transfer handguns to people under 21, this is the way people 18, 19 and 20 can legally receive handguns. (Penal Code 12026 is quite clear that those 18 and over can "own, possess, [and] keep ..." a pistol or revolver.)
HSC is required
The Handgun Safety Certificate is required for handgun transfers, even though the Transaction Report has no place to record the HSC number or other verification that the receiver has the HSC.

Heres the link. Read everything and ask questions if you have any.


04-13-2011, 3:03 PM
Thank you very much for the help.

04-13-2011, 3:14 PM
Borrowing for up to 30 days is also 100% legal.

I learned to shoot with a gun that was owned by the boss of a high school friend, no family relation whatsoever.

The borrowing laws may be slightly different since then, I think you need an HSC to borrow regardless of age but I would be surprised if an 18 year old with HSC could not borrow a handgun.

04-13-2011, 3:34 PM
Go to a gun shop and get your HSC (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/hscsg.pdf).
Then your dad can give it to you and you can send in this form (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf).
You both must be residents of CA to do this.
If your father is not a resident of CA then you need to go to a dealer to do the transfer.

04-13-2011, 3:48 PM
Thank you very much for the help.

No problem. You might be getting a handgun sooner than you thought. :D

04-13-2011, 9:35 PM
Fill out the operation of law form and the gun is yours.

04-13-2011, 9:38 PM
Fill out the operation of law form and the gun is yours.


I got my first pistol this way, I sent in the form and $19 and I was a proud pistol owner at 19 years old.