PDA

View Full Version : Guerilla Political ground war.

nicki
04-13-2011, 12:59 PM
Many of us are frustrated with our elected officials, in my view, we need to send them a message that they don't get a free pass for voting the wrong way.

The reality is politicians are most vunerable at the primary level, so what I propose is simple, we start putting PRO GUN candidates for our opponents in their primaries.

In many cases, that will mean running PRO GUN DEMOCRATS.

How effective would we be, well here is my perspective.

Back in 1992 and 1994, my late friend Robert Wick ran for US Congress against Norm Mineta.

Both times he got over 60 percent of the vote in the Republican primaries inspite of the local RINO Republican party opposition and follow up being black balled from any support.

In both campaigns, about 15K was spend on our side, the truth is we had only a handful of people, yet we estimate Norm Mineta spent over 1 million dollars in each campaign in the general election.

We don't know how much manpower the Dem party had to put to protect Norm Mineta, but it was probably substantially more than what we put.

Previously Norm just banked his donations and he even helped other Democrats who were in trouble.

Yes, we lost the elections, twice. We knew we were going to lose the election, but we did it anyway because we knew that the costs to the other side would be very painful.

Yeah, we would have loved to have won the elections, but with the amount of damage we knew we did, all of us on the campaign viewed this as a signficant victory and it is something I would definitely do again.

We did this with a relatively clean campaign. Norm called Bob and asked him was he going to bring up his divorce and Bob told him no provided he didn't bring up issues that his house was a candidate for the Oscar Madison award.

We did this without the internet that we have today.

We can't run someone who is against LABOR RIGHTS, PRO LIFE, ANTI GAY etc, etc.

Many people vote straight party line, they don't even look at the candidates, that is reality.

Many people will not vote for a candidate regardless of how good they are if they are in the wrong party. How many people do all of us know who say they are pro gun refuse to vote for any Republican?

Even if our person loses, it means the anti gun politicians have to spend more resources than they get for being anti gun.

I am sure with the "talent" we already have on this board that we can develop positions for anyone who would run for office so that they could be more than just a one issue candidate.

Hell, we could probably even recruit quality candidates in anti gun districts to run for office.

There are many "Community Activists" who may already be thinking of running for office and if we step in and help them that started, they would just run for it.

We could grow more Rod Wrights and if we did that, we shift the debate on gun rights in this state.

With the budget issue, many groups are willing to throw others under the bus, it just is human nature.

It all comes down to the following. How many of us would be willing to invest say 40 hours of our time and 100 dollars to help our candidates in the primaries next year.

We have close to 20,000 active members here on this board and when the first court victory hits, membership on this board should significantly spike.

The issue is how many of us will STEP up.
A few people can't carry the load.

Take a look in the mirror, if you won't step up, don't expect anyone else to do it either.

And while you are at it, if you aren't willing to commit to this type of action, then do you really have a right to complain when a anti gunner just walks into office.

Please take a moment to answer the poll, that helps all of us know how strong we are.

Thanks
Nicki

mag360
04-13-2011, 1:19 PM
pretty much with you on this one. We do need to separate gun rights issue from being more tied to pro life and anti gay republicans than a typical dem.

choprzrul
04-13-2011, 1:27 PM
I agree that any chance of success @ the ballot box will be during primaries. If a pro gun candidate can be identified, immediately get them registered in alignment with the party with the greatest party registration and/or voter turnout.

Once the pro gun candidate is positioned for the primary, target pro gun voters to change their voter registration accordingly.

As an example: incumbent Dem A is anti gun. We stand up challenger B as a Dem. Dem A gets 100,000 Dem votes in the primary. Dem B gets 90,000 Dem votes plus 12,000 converted Rep voters. Viola! Anti gun candidate is gone!

stix213
04-13-2011, 1:31 PM
Count me in

Once the pro gun candidate is positioned for the primary, target pro gun voters to change their voter registration accordingly.

I like this idea too. Maybe my vote will actually count for something for once.

scarville
04-13-2011, 1:36 PM
I agree that any chance of success @ the ballot box will be during primaries. If a pro gun candidate can be identified, immediately get them registered in alignment with the party with the greatest party registration and/or voter turnout..
Doesn't California have open primaries now? If so then changing registration is not necessary.

Ford8N
04-13-2011, 1:45 PM
I vote my guns, everything else, I can live with it. But since others don't, we get nothing.

California sux!

edwardm
04-13-2011, 2:13 PM
Interesting idea from the grassroots perspective. I like it.

Falconis
04-13-2011, 2:13 PM
Heh, kind of reminds me of what Gray Davis did during his campaign. He was going to be up against Riordin or Bill Simon. During the primaries he spent a lot of money running Anti Riordin ads since his research team showed him losing to Riordin during the general election. In the end, Simon won the primaries for the Republicans, and Davis won the General Election.

Overall Nicki, I think it's a good plan. But I also get the feeling you may have to make choices. If you want this to be about Gun Politics, you may have to keep it at that. Hell we all don't even agree on what constitutes reasonable or absolute gun rights in this forum. Good luck on getting everyone else to agree on labor unions, abortion, gay rights and anything else you can think of. My feelings in California, I think you are going to have to go with good enough. I obviously don't want to be associated with a guy who wears a pointy white hat on the weekends. No matter how pro 2A he or she is. On the other hand, I may be willing to give on other issues. And that is where I think you will run into problem if you try and get everything under the sun. California is a big state with lots of districts, if you are planning on a statewide strategy independant of other political organizations, I think letting canadite A have his view on something else isn't too much trouble as long as that other view isn't too extreme.

Just food for thought.

unusedusername
04-13-2011, 5:51 PM
Another thought:

We also have to remember that we need not waste our time helping candidates that have no chance of winning anyway.

At least here in the occupied land of the Bay Area there are quite some number of candidates with an (R) after their name, that while they are our friends, they have no chance of winning and usually get < 25% of the total vote.

A calguns backing of a candidate means more if candidates that are backed by calguns win most of the time.

Paladin
04-13-2011, 6:03 PM
Why reinvent the wheel?

https://www.nrapvf.org/volunteer.aspx

http://www.nramemberscouncils.com/mc/directory/

The older I've gotten, the more I realize how often the NRA leadership knows what they're doing. JMHO

nicki
04-14-2011, 2:15 AM
Why reinvent the wheel?

The NRA gets involved in elections after the PRIMARIES are OVER, not before.

Now if the NRA has sinced changed and now gets involved during primaries, that is great.

The Primaries are where we could pull upsets, it is also an area where we can influence people early in their political carreer.

A Smart Politician sizes up what taking a position will do for him or too him. If supporting gun control costs him too much pain, the politician will try to stay neutral.

The purpose of doing Guerilla campaigns is for us to be DEFIANT.

When a Politician has to raise an additional 100K for their reelection campaign, it hits them that supporting gun legislation is expensive.

In all honesty I have voted for people who the only reason I voted for them was because they supported gun rights.

My position is GUN RIGHTS trump everything else because without our guns, all of our other rights become government revocable privileges and our system of ordered liberty where the government serves and is subserviant to "We the People" is gone.

I will hold my nose to support Gun rights at the polls for this reason.

VegasND
04-14-2011, 7:22 PM
I have in the past and I will again.

My support is like the kiss of death though -- nobody I have ever worked or voted for has won.

I take some pride in that fact.

DocSkinner
04-14-2011, 7:25 PM
Where is the "I am going to run for office" (okay, again!) check box?

Did pretty good last time for the limited campaign I was able top run, more time and support this year and I can make it.

DocSkinner
04-14-2011, 7:27 PM
And been saying for a long time if all the pro 2A people would vote in the DEMOCRAT primary, we could get a year where it wasn't an issue and make sure a gun-grabber doesn't make it past the primary.

NotEnufGarage
04-14-2011, 8:50 PM
Doesn't California have open primaries now? If so then changing registration is not necessary.

Yes, it is. You don't want to have a Republican get 90,000 votes to a Democrats 100,000 vots in the primary, just to have the Democrat get 150,000 votes in the general.

You want to run a primary candidate who can knock the incumbent out of the general election, if I undestand the tactic correctly.

So, in that scenario, you want to run a pro-gun Democrat who can get 76,000 votes against the incumbents 74,000 while the Republican still gets 90,000. The incumbent is gone and we get a pro-gun Democrat in the assembly or senate.

DocSkinner
04-27-2011, 8:54 AM
For Contra Costa, we are likely facing 2 Anti-2a incumbents, regardless of the redrawing. I am a registered Democrat, although traditionally I was listed as Independent until I started having problems getting ballots for primaries.

I plan on running for Concord City Council again, but given the open primary system, I would be VERY willing to run for one of those assembly seats in the primary (depending on redistricting) if there was any financial support to help cover costs.

my 2010 campaign site is still up for a bit if you want to see who I am (don't hit the donate button! - it goes to the 2010 campaign fund, and wouldn't be usable!) http://www.kremin.us/

Bupkus
04-27-2011, 9:32 AM
Nicki, great idea. I would enjoy working on something proactive like that. I'm retired, have lots of time, and enjoy being a pain in the ***.:)

nicki
04-27-2011, 11:01 AM
I am waiting on confirmation for approval for "Pink Pistol" contingents in the Long Beach Pride Parade (May 22), the West Hollywood Parade(Jun12) and the San Fran Pride Parade(Jun26).

These are parades where we are marching a Pro Gun/Self Defense contingent among a population demographic that has historically been very anti gun.

The "Pink Pistols" is blunt in our message and we are unapologetic about defending ourselves with "Non Sporting guns".

Since we will have a significant amount of Calgun and other support in our group, after the parade will be a good time to meet and socialize with each other.

This will be a learning process, trial and error. We are going to make mistakes, but that is okay because from humans are wired to learn more from mistakes than successes.

We will keep people posted

Nicki