PDA

View Full Version : Gun Control Advocates Win A Rare Victory In Budget Deal

scarville
04-13-2011, 10:58 AM
Sam Stein has an orgasm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/13/gun-control-advocates-win_n_848603.html

WASHINGTON -- Gun-control advocates won a rare victory this past Friday when congressional negotiators removed a provision from the final budget deal that would have made it much harder for the government to regulate firearm sales along the Mexico border.

The amendment, offered by Reps. Dan Boren (D-Okla.) and Denny Rehberg (R-Mont.), would have prevented federal funds from being used by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) to track bulk sales of long guns in southwestern states. Up until late moments in the negotiations, sources familiar with the discussions say, it remained in the text of the final continuing resolution.

But sometime before the final deal was announced on Friday night, lawmakers stripped the rider from the bill. The move came after concerned lawmakers and even Mexico's Ambassador to the United States lobbied congressional leadership and the White House to strip the language from the bill.
Read the rest here (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/13/gun-control-advocates-win_n_848603.html)

NotEnufGarage
04-13-2011, 11:02 AM
So, Mexico's Ambassador has more pull with our Congress than the citizens of this country do?

Really?

dustoff31
04-13-2011, 11:08 AM
So, Mexico's Ambassador has more pull with our Congress than the citizens of this country do?

Really?

Yeah, it's been that way for some time.

ocspeedracer
04-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Our bases are belong to them!

We loose

Foghlai
04-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Wait... how does this help Mexico?

OleCuss
04-13-2011, 12:35 PM
IIRC, isn't a "bulk sale" 2 or more rifles? At least so far as Obama's minions are concerned?

dustoff31
04-13-2011, 12:47 PM
IIRC, isn't a "bulk sale" 2 or more rifles? At least so far as Obama's minions are concerned?

Yes it is. The same rules as handguns. 2 or more within 5 days.

Patrick-2
04-13-2011, 1:14 PM
I posted related information recently (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=420109), though the article drives it home with a bit more detail.

The article notes that a call to the sponsor's office (Democratic Rep. Boren, OK-2) was not immediately returned. That is nicer than they treated me when I called. They pretty much told me to pound sand and that they were highly unlikely to call back. I had to force him to take my number, which I am sure went right into the circular file near his desk.

How much you want to bet Oklahoma-2 got something nice in the bill? Or more likely, that Rep. Boren gets a nice fundraising boost from someone in the administration when the need arises?

Ford8N
04-13-2011, 1:37 PM
So now we see who really has political clout....MEXICO!!!!!! Remember this at the ballot box...but I doubt the sheep will even care.

vantec08
04-13-2011, 1:59 PM

for about a hundred years.

furyous68
04-13-2011, 2:43 PM
Yes it is. The same rules as handguns. 2 or more within 5 days.

Yet, aren't regular people (non-FFL/ COE holders) required to wait 30 days between handgun purchases. And limited to one handgun within a 30 day period?

Stupid lawmakers.

aklover_91
04-13-2011, 2:50 PM
Yet, aren't regular people (non-FFL/ COE holders) required to wait 30 days between handgun purchases. And limited to one handgun within a 30 day period?

Stupid lawmakers.

That's only in California.

1859sharps
04-13-2011, 3:02 PM
to the average person if phrased right in a "sound bite" type sales pitch or explanation, tracking/looking bulk sales of any kind of gun is common sense to keep the drug gangs from getting them.

after all if you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about...right? and who wouldn't want to prevent guns from getting to drug gangs..right? and it's not taking guns away from any US law abiding citizen..it's just tracking/looking into bulk sales..besides, who needs to buy more than one gun at a time anyway..right?

that is what your competing against when you try and kill things like this.

Bigtime1
04-13-2011, 3:19 PM

Primarily on the left side of the aisle.

dustoff31
04-13-2011, 3:28 PM

Stupid lawmakers.

Only in CA. Maybe one or two other states, I'm not sure.

In the free world, you can buy as many as your wallet will tolerate in one sitting.

darkwater
04-13-2011, 6:07 PM
Wait a minute...so they didn't want to limit the funds used to track legal gun sales...because diverting those funds to tracking illegal gun sales and illegal aliens is just too much work? It's just easier to clamp down on law-abiding US citizens, isn't it?

Werewolf1021
04-13-2011, 7:13 PM
I love the comments. "Oh you are just a gun zealot" is practically every response to verifiable evidence.

:D

voiceofreason
04-13-2011, 7:36 PM

Really?

Other countries in the Middle East have more pull on our President and our nation's foreign policy than our Congress...

gcvt
04-13-2011, 8:11 PM
Only in CA. Maybe one or two other states, I'm not sure.

In the free world, you can buy as many as your wallet will tolerate in one sitting.

I think it's Virginia and Maryland? One of the Carolinas had it but repealed it if I'm not mistaken.

diginit
04-13-2011, 8:59 PM
IMHO. We already know that sales of illegal firearms to Mexico are coming from the South and Russia. So this is just another waste of money and time and nothing will become of it. Other than the GTA's making money. Of course, the media will tell us different. You want to know what I think? If they can't deal with their own problems, Like I deal with mine. FK Mexico. Why should the U.S. be used as escape goats. I'm getting sick of this BS.

hoffmang
04-13-2011, 9:39 PM
Don't overlook that this is the Obama administration throwing the anti's a bone and telling them to now be quiet.

So much fun watching the antis not get it.

-Gene

frankm
04-13-2011, 9:51 PM
Don't overlook that this is the Obama administration throwing the anti's a bone and telling them to now be quiet.

So much fun watching the antis not get it.

-Gene

Thanks. Just saved me from another Tums episode. :)

Patrick-2
04-14-2011, 4:08 AM
I think it's Virginia and Maryland? One of the Carolinas had it but repealed it if I'm not mistaken.

Maryland residents are limited to one regulated purchase every 30 days, with some exceptions. Non-regulated items are unlimited cash and carry sales. Private transfers of non-regulated items are not restricted.

Regulated arms include specified rifles (AR-15s and their clones, AK's, etc.) and all handguns. Some "assault pistols" are outright banned but they are now mostly relic items. Modern handguns are subject to a handgun review board, but that is a speed bump thanks to a previous republican governor. Maryland has no restrictions on NFA items. You must register machine guns, but nothing else. I bought a Saiga-12 cash and carry in Maryland and brought home a PS-90 from Virginia bought the same way.

Virginia law is less familiar to me, but you can go to a gun show and walk out with a new handgun if you have a VA CCW permit. I think others have to wait a short time. Rifles are all cash and carry, all the time. They allow the full gamut of NFA items, as well.

Back to the OP: the proposed long-gun reporting rules were suspended under pressure from the NRA. They may not see the light of day. Unlike the characterizations of the news articles, the rules applied nationwide - not just the Southwest five-states region. It is a backdoor registration scheme - if you let it happen with multi-gun sales, it will later be expanded to encompass more sales. It's all out of the MAIG playbook - incrementalism at its finest.

Was this tossing a bone to the anti's? Maybe. Let's see if the NRA goes after our friend from OK-2 or - more importantly - whether the ATF goes back to implementing the rules.