PDA

View Full Version : Need help removing flash suppressor.

tiki
11-13-2006, 3:39 PM
I have a Stag upper that has the flash suppressor on it. I am going to order a muzzle break and would like to switch them. I have been advised to use the vice block device but I don't have one. I was hoping someone in the Sacramento area might have one and be willing to let me come over and do the swap so that I don't have to buy the vice block and the vice. :)
Anybody want to help out?

JOEKILLA
11-13-2006, 3:44 PM
I have a Stag upper as well and I just removed the flash suppresor and replaced it with a Stag Comp Muzzle Break.

I just used an open wrench and it came off with no problems. I now have the MB on there but I wonder if I need to put a blue loctite to secure it more, since the FS had it. :confused:

C.G.
11-13-2006, 4:19 PM
I have a Stag upper as well and I just removed the flash suppresor and replaced it with a Stag Comp Muzzle Break.

I just used an open wrench and it came off with no problems. I now have the MB on there but I wonder if I need to put a blue loctite to secure it more, since the FS had it. :confused:

If you used a crush washer you shouldn't have to.

tenpercentfirearms
11-13-2006, 4:55 PM
It should't take much to get that off. If you have a standard A2 buttstock you can just wrap it in a towel and vice it and probably get it off no problem. If not, take your flattop and put two pieces of thin wood on the top and bottom and turn it sideways in the vice. It shouldn't take that much torque to get it off.

Otherwise get this and it isn't that much and you never know when you might need it. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=292126

mltrading
11-13-2006, 5:09 PM
I have a Stag upper that has the flash suppressor on it. I am going to order a muzzle break and would like to switch them. I have been advised to use the vice block device but I don't have one. I was hoping someone in the Sacramento area might have one and be willing to let me come over and do the swap so that I don't have to buy the vice block and the vice. :)
Anybody want to help out?

Too bad. If you are around San Jose area, you are welcome to use my BBL vise. By the way, it's cheap (under $20).:)

Joe
11-13-2006, 5:17 PM
It's good to know that it will come off easy. I will be removing mine soon.

Paul
11-13-2006, 5:38 PM
It's good to know that it will come off easy. I will be removing mine soon.

It's not soldered into place is it? If so you'll need a MAPP gas torch and have to heat the thing up to the point of it starting to glow red. My FAL's was soldered on so it got the torch. A regular propane torch wouldn't get it hot enough.

Joe
11-13-2006, 5:47 PM
It's not soldered into place is it? If so you'll need a MAPP gas torch and have to heat the thing up to the point of it starting to glow red. My FAL's was soldered on so it got the torch. A regular propane torch wouldn't get it hot enough.

I don't think so, its a stag 2H upper.

tiki
11-13-2006, 11:01 PM
Yeah, it spun off pretty easy. I used a 3/4" open ended wrench. Thanks for the help.

Santa Cruz Armory
11-14-2006, 5:31 AM
I had to use a strap wrench on the barrel and a open end wrench on the flash hider, then it came off pretty easy. Before that, I thought it was never coming off, it was tight !