PDA

View Full Version : Handguard Question

Arias
04-12-2011, 3:57 PM
I have a DD 9" Lite Rail on my mid-length upper and I'm debating right now on look vs function. I don't have anything attached on the rail right now, and the only thing I plan on throwing on is maybe a light.

So my question to you, would a change to a Magpul mid-length MOE be worth a change? I know that the free floating rail increases accuracy, but does it make it that more accurate? The weight savings is about 2.75 oz. not a huge difference, but a difference still.

Your opinions are appreciated.

IPSICK
04-12-2011, 4:10 PM
Why make the change when you have one installed already? DD to a MOE sounds kind of backwards and I'm not a big fan of railed handguards.

Btw, which one is FF? I thought the DD's are FF.

dieselpower
04-12-2011, 4:38 PM
I'm not a fan of full rails either. I had a GG&G set since they are customizable to the shooter. I would not be going to a MOE set either, unless you know you do not like the full rail set.

I would not swap the handguards out. I would concider trading it to a person who wants the DD rail. Make sure their upper is what you want and is in the same condition. Do a trade + a few bucks to you, since your upper is a bit more than a standard MOE upper. make sure to trade the BCGs with the uppers

Put a Trade post in the market place. Do not accept cash offers that do not allow you to buy a complete upper with a BCG and MOE handguard set.

rattlesnake_nm
04-12-2011, 4:41 PM
Hell yeah, I'd lose the rail for moe handguards. You can always use a light with moe handguards anyway. The DD rails are light, but not as light as moe handguards.

justin15w
04-12-2011, 4:46 PM
MOE handguard ergonomics are awesome. I'm a huge fan and would trade out.

quattrosam
04-12-2011, 4:46 PM
Do you already have a standard barrel nut and delta ring, plus the tools to swap it out (DD Lite wrench, etc)? If not, probably not worth the hassle. That being said, I helped a buddy build up his middy with the MOE hand guards and it felt pretty sweet.

Arias
04-12-2011, 4:55 PM
My upper is on it's way to riflegear to get some work done so I was considering swapping the lite rail for a moe handguard. The upper itself is a complete DD upper with about 500 rounds through it, I find that the rail isn't really being used so I considered swapping it out while getting some work done.

quattrosam
04-12-2011, 5:10 PM
If you're already paying for labor, might as well have them take care of it. Selling the Lite will probably pay for the MOE, labor and then some. If you decide to go back to a FF railed hand guard later, you can go with the DD Omega.

dieselpower
04-12-2011, 5:14 PM
Talk to Riflegear. I bet he will swap the rail out for you no cost. He can make the money back by selling that used rail in like 1.5 seconds.

OutbreakPLZ
04-12-2011, 7:11 PM
god i love my DD 9 lite... i had the ugly moe on mine first.. LOVE DD rails

reagan8
04-12-2011, 7:45 PM
Unless the weight savings is a major motivator, keep it. I don't have anything attached to my LaRue handguard (yet), but free floating the barrel and having the versatility to mount things on it makes it a keeper.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I think you'd regret swapping it out later.

Baconator
04-12-2011, 7:47 PM
I like my MOE hand-guards, all I added was the MOE forward grip. I inadvertently created a MOE heavy AR in my most recent build and I like it.