PDA

View Full Version : keeping firearms belonging to parents in my safe, legalities

cabinetguy
04-12-2011, 3:45 PM
I have a question on keeping my parents firearms in my safe. My parents have a few long arms and two pistols, but do not have a safe. They want me to keep the firearms in my safe, since my neice and nephew are getting to be the age they might discover them. they dont want to transfer them, just let me store them for a while. Is this ok? it seems like a non issue, but i want to make sure. any input is great.

Tripper
04-12-2011, 3:49 PM
I'm not sure where I seen it but I seem to recall a possession form, which makes it registered as borrowed if sorts

C&Rtrader
04-12-2011, 3:55 PM
If they are hunting rifles they can be loaned for the duration of the season. Handguns can be loaned for up to 30 days. (all this assumed you are not a prohibited person which i doubt you are)

You could gun return them for a minute every 30 days.. or since this a vertical intra familiar it may not require an FFL transfer. I think there is a form you can fill out and mail in with $19 per gun. If i am correct I am sure someone can post a link shortly

Connor P Price
04-12-2011, 4:58 PM
Long arms can be transfered from your parents to you without any paperwork. The handguns can be lent for a period of up to 30 days. After that you will need to transfer into your name. The operation of law transfer form from doj can be sent in with 19 bucks to do that.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

robnbritt
04-12-2011, 6:37 PM
The op-law form and $19 for as many handguns as you want. Not $19/gun. Just had the "priviledge" to file the form with DOJ. When they want them back another op-law form & $19.

stix213
04-12-2011, 6:50 PM
Make out a rental agreement for part of your safe for your parents to rent for $1. Now you aren't storing them for your parents, as they are themselves storing them in their rented portion of the safe. Problem solved.

Connor P Price
04-12-2011, 7:03 PM
Make out a rental agreement for part of your safe for your parents to rent for $1. Now you aren't storing them for your parents, as they are themselves storing them in their rented portion of the safe. Problem solved.

This sounds like an interesting solution, but there may be some holes. I haven't heard of this approach before. So If i rent you some space in my safe to store your rifle you think that's sufficient? To me it would appear that the rifle would be under my control in my safe the entire time (presumably you wouldn't even have the combo) which would mean that its in my possession. Not saying your wrong, but I'm not quite certain your right either. If you have any direct experience with this sort of thing I'd be very interested to hear about it.

OP: I had assumed previously that you do not live with your parents, although I shouldn't make that assumption I suppose. If you live in the same house this situation is very different.

MindBuilder
04-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Maybe you could be given 1% ownership and do a dual registration. That way you could avoid having to do another registration to return it.

blakdawg
04-13-2011, 12:42 PM
This is not legal advice - but I think this is a lot of worrying over nothing. If your parents think it's safer to leave their guns in your safe, just do it. None of you are felons, nobody's on parole/probation, and you're not running some sort of MJ grow op in the house, right?

If some legal question about ownership does come up, STFU and MAKE NO STATEMENTS. Chances are you and your parents will be the only people with any idea how long the guns have been in the safe - so if there's any trouble in the future, it will happen because one of you created it by running your mouth. Don't do that.