PDA

View Full Version : Repealing senseless gun laws

Halfey
04-12-2011, 2:38 PM
Hello
First I am sorry if this has been asked manny times before.
I am trying to educate myself in this particular arena.

What do we as gun owners to repeal theese senseless gun laws we have here in ca?

Is anyone activley doing anything about it?

I have trouble seeing how states like Texas,Arizona ect. Have such reasonable laws and ca doesn't.

How can we get thease laws repealed?

Coded-Dude
04-12-2011, 2:40 PM
there is a lot being done: http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Litigation_Past_and_Present

you can start by donating to calguns and/or joining the nra.

CalBear
04-12-2011, 2:45 PM
It's quite productive to go through some of the existing organizations already in place -- Calguns Foundation, NRA, CRPA, SAF, etc.

Much of the legwork being done in CA is currently being done through the courts. The problem is, CA's legislature is stacked with people hostile to firearms -- quite the opposite of the national legislatures, and those in many states.

As a result, it's hard for us to push any sensible reforms through the legislatures. Recently our best hopes have been preventing additional bad laws, rather than pushing through new good laws.

Court battles are important, because while some of CA's absurd gun laws will undoubtedly stand until public opinion changes, some of the laws are plainly unconstitutional. Calguns is working some vital court cases, and is also pushing Sheriff's departments to comply with state law in CCW issuing.

wash
04-12-2011, 3:04 PM
I'll agree with CalBear.

He's right despite his Berkely education.

One thing to keep in mind, CA is always going to have some senseless laws that we can't get rid of for legal, practical or other reasons but good people like CGF, CRPA, SAF and some times NRA are doing what they can to fight for us. For the most part they are coordinated and on the same page in strategy. If there is some issue that bothers you and those groups look like they aren't doing anything about it, there is probably a good reason for that.

Halfey
04-12-2011, 3:15 PM
Thanks for all the info. I agree with Calbear, it seams that we are only preventing new pointless laws.

I was just wondering if and when we can repeal existing pointless laws?

Personally Im an independent (different story), I have gotten my far left liberal friends to "go gun". I think that it may be the key to turning the tide.

I know that the vast majority of the CG community is far right and I have heard of right wingers refusing to introduce liberals to guns for political reasons. This is not a good idea. The more leftists we can get to see that guns are not "EVIL" the more secure our 2ed amendment rights will be in ca. Just my $0.02

What do YOU think?

CalBear
04-12-2011, 3:16 PM
He's right despite his Berkely education.
College of Engineering, dude... it's where brains, not egos, pot collections, STD infections, and politically arrogance, grow. Very rare place in a scummy city.

wash
04-12-2011, 3:24 PM
You forgot to add Bubonic Plague to the list unless the engineering school has it.

I tease because I went to UCLA and I've got a sister who went to Cal and is a raging anti.

Librarian
04-12-2011, 4:01 PM

Before that happens, we'll have to retire a large number of pointless politicians.

Quite a bit of the work through court cases will at minimum get different interpretations of existing laws; repeal is not a near-term goal (see above).

I know that the vast majority of the CG community is far right and I have heard of right wingers refusing to introduce liberals to guns for political reasons. This is not a good idea. The more leftists we can get to see that guns are not "EVIL" the more secure our 2ed amendment rights will be in ca. Just my $0.02

What do YOU think?

I think that if you actually believe "the vast majority of the CG community is far right" you either have not been here very long, or you are starting from a very left-oriented mark.

There are anecdotes of Calguns members politely confronting anti-gun family members and co-workers, and some that include introducing such people to recreational shooting.

Halfey
04-12-2011, 4:40 PM
I think that if you actually believe "the vast majority of the CG community is far right" you either have not been here very long, or you are starting from a very left-oriented mark.

There are anecdotes of Calguns members politely confronting anti-gun family members and co-workers, and some that include introducing such people to recreational shooting.

i guess my assumption of most calgunners political beliefs was wrong.

i heard on some radio show that a lot of right wings refuse to take libs to the range because they do not deserve to partake in something that they vote against.

I'm not new here but I'm also not a frequent flyer. it is good to hear that fellow calgunners of all political persuasions are talking to and taking libs to the range.
Every far left friend that i have taken to the range has had a great time and most of them now have guns of their own, and fully support the 2ed.

CaliforniaLiberal
04-12-2011, 7:42 PM
There are a bunch lawsuits moving through the court system to rule anti-gun laws unconstitutional. Hopefully they will start producing results in the coming year.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Litigation_Past_and_Present

You can join the fight by donating to CalGuns Foundation. They are helping pay the legal costs of these lawsuits as well as defending individual CA gun owners unjustly charged with violations of CA gun laws.

http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/donate

loose_electron
04-13-2011, 8:53 AM
right wing, left wing, liberal, conservative, antis, pros...

sigh....

It's not black and white. People that come here probably own, or have an interest in firearms. Some for sporting-hunting, some for self defense, it doesn't matter.

Introduce people to the sport if you can. Don't be confrontational or argumentative about it. You never convince anyone of anything by forcing your views on them. They just shut up and tune you out.

Wherryj
04-13-2011, 9:46 AM
Thanks for all the info. I agree with Calbear, it seams that we are only preventing new pointless laws.

Personally Im an independent (different story), I have gotten my far left liberal friends to "go gun". I think that it may be the key to turning the tide.

What do YOU think?

I am puzzled why you would "know" this. The CG community seems to be predominantly conservative, but I wouldn't say "far right".

BlindRacer
04-13-2011, 10:20 AM
While a good deal of us here are Conservatives, this is probably the most liberal gun site I've ever seen.

I doubt there are too many 'Progressive Liberals' here, however, this place is flooded with Libertarians.

Either way, most everyone here is very 'Constitutionalists'. And I've never heard anyone say that they wouldn't take their anti friends to a range. That's actually brought up, and encouraged on a regular basis here.

Anyways, there's so much being done right now. Just hang around the 2A forum for a while, and you'll learn a TON! You'll also come to understand why things have to be done through the courts, and the strategies that go along with that.

If you haven't yet, read through this one thread by 'the quark' (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=317860) It will give you a basic knowledge on everything that's going on right now, and how it all fits together.

vantec08
04-13-2011, 2:05 PM
Hello
First I am sorry if this has been asked manny times before.
I am trying to educate myself in this particular arena.

What do we as gun owners to repeal theese senseless gun laws we have here in ca?

Is anyone activley doing anything about it?

I have trouble seeing how states like Texas,Arizona ect. Have such reasonable laws and ca doesn't.

How can we get thease laws repealed?

Repeal? not likely Halfey. Most CA voters have decided that flies cause garbage and pencils cause spelling errors. Much easier to blame inanimate objects than criminals, which are the constituency of one major political party.

wash
04-13-2011, 2:17 PM
Why should a liberal wait for a conservative to invite them to a range or BLM land?

Public gun ranges do not discriminate and BLM land is public, no one can stop them.

Certain individual liberals might be so crazy that no one will invite them to shoot but that's more a reflection on them.

I enjoy taking anyone shooting unless I feel like I might wind up getting shot.

Super Spy
04-13-2011, 3:11 PM
I'm pretty middle of the road myself and CalGuns is comprised of a very broad spectrum of society. Look at any number of threads and you will see both sides of the coin. I butt heads with Booshanky all the time because we disagree on issues, but I'm still glad he's here because we need diversity, we need people from all walks of life, and all viewpoints. I think taking liberals shooting is a great idea, the more converts the better. The more people that realize that the 2nd amendment protects the 1st amendment and the rest of the constitution, the better off we all are.

I think we as a population are starting to realize our biggest problem isn't who's a lib or a con, rather the current power structure forcing a choice of Republican or Democrat, and neither party cares for anyone but the power elite. Third party candidates are just a distraction. This isn't about liberal or conservative, rather a broken system.

mag360
04-13-2011, 4:12 PM
I brought my 1911 to a family event and it was a great topic starter. Had my relatives asking about ak-47's and why do people need those, by the end of dessert even she could see how absurd our rules are. "you mean a grip with the removable magazine is a felony?".

a lot of us are not right wingers. California college grad business guy here! No tinfoil on my head or glenn beck on my TV.