PDA

View Full Version : Want an AR 308 in San Diego

Federalist
04-12-2011, 1:39 PM
I'm interested in buying/building an AR 308. It will be my first AR 308.

So far, I'm looking at a Mega, SI Defense or DPMS upper/lower combo, but would consider others. (Yes, I know that the DPMS Predator is on the list, so if I go DPMS, I need to be sure that my lower is off list). I would consider JD Machine if their 308 lower works with PMags, but I need to check that.

Since the AR 308 platform is not standardized like the AR-15 platform (with which I'm pretty familiar), I'm a bit confused. So I'm reaching out to the Calguns community for recommendations. What shops should I consider either for parts, or maybe even to build it for me? I would like to work with a local shop (SD or OC), but that is not a requirement.

Thanks.

Rekrab
04-12-2011, 2:37 PM
I'm interested in buying/building an AR 308. It will be my first AR 308.

So far, I'm looking at a Mega, SI Defense or DPMS upper/lower combo, but would consider others. (Yes, I know that the DPMS Predator is on the list, so if I go DPMS, I need to be sure that my lower is off list). I would consider JD Machine if their 308 lower works with PMags, but I need to check that.

Since the AR 308 platform is not standardized like the AR-15 platform (with which I'm pretty familiar), I'm a bit confused. So I'm reaching out to the Calguns community for recommendations. What shops should I consider either for parts, or maybe even to build it for me? I would like to work with a local shop (SD or OC), but that is not a requirement.

Thanks.

Go local for your parts, but if you don't absolutely need a tip-top branded lower, go with the Tactical Machining .308 lower. Call them up and tell them you're from CalGuns and they'll ship it out to your local FFL. Good quality just no super awesome name brand on it. But, any DPMS style lower should run fine with Magpul magazines as long as they don't specify a different type of magazines.

You'll need to match it with a DPMS style upper receiver. I used DPMS for my upper as well and it fit tight with my TM-10 lower, but there are nicer uppers out there.

Good luck, the LR-308 platform is a hell of a lot of fun!

rareair
04-12-2011, 2:44 PM
JD Machine .308 receivers will accept MagPul PMags