PDA

View Full Version : Can I shoot my AK at Angeles?

timbo399
04-12-2011, 12:18 PM
I was complaining on another thread how I love to shoot my AK but it is difficult at Angeles because although I bought 1,000 rounds of 7.62x39, I didn't think they were "legal" to shoot there because metallic so I end up buying the 7.62x39 they sell at the range for like $20 ber box which really sucks!
I know on their website they say no "steel core, steel or bimetal jacketed ammo"
I have a ton of blue box Monarch which I have read is steel cased. Also have a bunch of Black Box Wolf that says steel cased and a few yellow box Wolf that says Copper Jacketed Steel Case.

I always thought that if ANYTHING attracted the magnet it would not be legit to shoot there no matter where the steel/metal was. But why would a steel cased bullet be not ok to shoot? I understand why a metal jacketed bullet would not be ok, but metal cased? Does anyone know if the blue box Monarch stuff is ok to shoot there? Thanks for your help.

Rekrab
04-12-2011, 12:36 PM
As long as the projectile is not magnetic you're good to go.

Cali-Shooter
04-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Buy some of that Yugo mil surplus 7.62x39 which is brass cased and is sold in 1120 rds per case. It is lead core non-magnetic, only problem is it is corrosive.

timbo399
04-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Great. Thank you for clearing that up for me. I will look into if the actual bullet itself in blue box Monarch has any metal in it as I have a ton of it. Thanks

RonPogi
04-12-2011, 1:08 PM
Go to Azusa Burro Canyon shooting range you can use your metalic bullet in there as long as not fire season....( it ends of this month April)

timbo399
04-12-2011, 1:10 PM
Very good to know Ron Thanks

apbrian112
04-12-2011, 2:17 PM
Your Yellow boxed Wolf should be good to go. as long as the bullet itself doesn't attract a magnet you're GTG.

Neil McCauley
04-12-2011, 2:22 PM
Don't ask don't tell :shifty: Just kidding. They'll check it with a magnet anyway as they make their rounds.

tujungatoes
04-12-2011, 2:30 PM
+1 for the Yugo surplus. It's good stuff. Just make sure you clean your gun after you shoot to remove the "corrosive" salts.

Don't ask don't tell :shifty: Just kidding. They'll check it with a magnet anyway as they make their rounds.

Neil!...don't tell him that.:nono:

LOL when we got there last Saturday I saw one of the R.O.'s bundling up a bunch of black box wolf.

vintagedude88
04-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Go with the Yugo. As long as you have a chrome lined barrel on your AK you are okay.

I snuck in a couple remaining rounds of Wolf in my mag with the Yugo and there is a "VISIBLE" difference when it is fired.

ZX-10R
04-13-2011, 6:39 AM
How many times do you get to go to the range? If you do try some other ranges or pay a visit to us at SLOSA. I refuse to go to a range that tells me the kinds of rounds I need to shoot. Just adding insult to injury when I already have stupid gun laws to contend with. This will offend you Californians but that is the truth. Take it in and you too will feel the same way.