PDA

View Full Version : First Wallpaper Attempt

Iggy
04-12-2011, 12:25 PM
I have been playing around with photography and I made a wallpaper last night.

I call it "Peace"

http://iggyd.com/wallpaper/308Ls.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/planetiggy/5613996493/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

I'm not even at the amateur level so let me know what you think.

PatriotnMore
04-12-2011, 12:27 PM
I like the creativity, and the cameras high quality picture capability.

GillaFunk
04-12-2011, 1:26 PM
I think somone has a serious gun fettish and needs an intervention before he spends all his money on a device that does just one thing; puts holes in paper.

I found your birthday present you phsyco:

http://www.wearagun.com/GUN-SHIRTS/GUN-NUT.jpg

:cheers2:

762.DEFENSE
04-12-2011, 2:20 PM
Looking good.

MasterYong
04-12-2011, 2:53 PM
Nice.

I hate the "watermark" but that's b/c it always irks me that graphic artists or IP holders think that adding the little ".com credit" to the pic somewhere will keep people form stealing it without giving you credit.

All it does is waste 4 minutes of my time to photoshop it out before I use it as a desktop image.

Iggy
04-12-2011, 3:09 PM
Nice.

I hate the "watermark" but that's b/c it always irks me that graphic artists or IP holders think that adding the little ".com credit" to the pic somewhere will keep people form stealing it without giving you credit.

All it does is waste 4 minutes of my time to photoshop it out before I use it as a desktop image.

So you're saying you're going to seal it without giving me credit?

MasterYong
04-12-2011, 3:53 PM
So you're saying you're going to seal it without giving me credit?

LOL no this one's not my style.

But, you need to understand IP law a bit better. If I alter the image and only use it for personal use (i.e. my own desktop, and not in a commercial capacity) then I'm not "stealing" it at all. It's totally legal. I could put little pink bunny rabbits in it and there's nothing you can do about it. It's if I distributed it that way that you'd even BEGIN to be treading into "stealing"

:D

melman
04-12-2011, 3:59 PM
looks good

rojocorsa
04-12-2011, 4:01 PM
I like it. For the most part. There are a couple things I'd do differently, but it's all good.

Gio
04-12-2011, 4:04 PM
Cool stuff man :)

Iggy
04-12-2011, 4:06 PM
LOL no this one's not my style.

But, you need to understand IP law a bit better. If I alter the image and only use it for personal use (i.e. my own desktop, and not in a commercial capacity) then I'm not "stealing" it at all. It's totally legal. I could put little pink bunny rabbits in it and there's nothing you can do about it. It's if I distributed it that way that you'd even BEGIN to be treading into "stealing"

:D

No worries. I'm doing this for fun and for the most part I don't like the watermark either. I might make more of these in the future and I wanted to have it so folks can find more.

I like it. For the most part. There are a couple things I'd do differently, but it's all good.

What would you do differently? I'm new to all this so just trying to learn.

rojocorsa
04-12-2011, 4:14 PM
Graphically, I think it's fine. I think I would rather have a .338 Lapua Magnum (8.6x70mm) case head on the pic [since its about Lapua]. In all honesty, the saying isn't my favorite because it seems too cliche these days, but I can see how it's really relevant to the "work" in this case.

Let it be known that you have more graphic skillz than I do.

Mr.Caketown
04-12-2011, 4:16 PM
Looks pretty good

you should try adding the trace look to it

http://motivate.maths.org/conferences/conf135/Images/bullet.jpg

Iggy
04-12-2011, 4:23 PM
Graphically, I think it's fine. I think I would rather have a .338 Lapua Magnum (8.6x70mm) case head on the pic [since its about Lapua]. In all honesty, the saying isn't my favorite because it seems too cliche these days, but I can see how it's really relevant to the "work" in this case.

Let it be known that you have more graphic skillz than I do.

Thanks for the feedback. The .308 is all I have ammo wise and the Lapua cases are the nicest. I could do another one with Win cases.

That's true about the saying, but I was hard to find something that would be relevant to the picture. This was my second option "dulce bellum inexpertis"

chesterthehero
04-12-2011, 5:14 PM
its a start.. needs more fire/naked chicks

palakaboy
04-12-2011, 5:34 PM
there's four dots on the right. They're a bit out of place.

I'm diggin the texture on the casing.

Also, maybe a dab of color on the primer?

There's some lighting inconsistency on the bottom part of the casing and above the casing. I notice a rimlight around the rim but not on the bottom, maybe a bit of dodging might work.

ps- the script on the casing is also a bit unsharp, or it might be my eyes.

wallpapers are like magazine covers, every bit of blemish is going to magnified.

ps- take my word with a grain of salt. I'm a little crazy.

major burnout
04-12-2011, 5:49 PM
Retake it with a fired primer.

Jonathan Doe
04-12-2011, 5:52 PM
I like it. However, I just like to see the headstamp of "LC M118LR" better. :D

Iggy
04-12-2011, 5:57 PM
If anyone wants to send me some cases I can try to take some other photos.

UserM4
04-12-2011, 6:12 PM
Where's the link to the fullsized wallpaper?

Iggy
04-12-2011, 7:28 PM
Click on the photo.

rojocorsa
04-12-2011, 9:15 PM
I think the fresh primer looks better. This is about "preparation" anyway...

DNA
04-14-2011, 1:51 AM
.233 vs .308 debate has been settled.
.308 is so full of win, even the brass agrees. :D

haha...

Nice work btw.

Dan

Neve
04-14-2011, 2:15 AM
Looks great! Let's see some more!

NapaCountyShooter
04-14-2011, 6:56 AM
Looks great Iggy, I'll put it in rotation on my phone.

Dhena81
04-14-2011, 12:50 PM
I think somone has a serious gun fettish and needs an intervention before he spends all his money on a device that does just one thing; puts holes in paper.

I found your birthday present you phsyco:

http://www.wearagun.com/GUN-SHIRTS/GUN-NUT.jpg

:cheers2:
That's awsome I want one

EvoXRiley
04-14-2011, 2:10 PM
Nothing says Hate like a 308!

keep up the good work it is AWESOME!

Jonathan Doe
04-14-2011, 6:46 PM
This is my wall paper: :)

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/5topgun/Misc/David_Kim_300_4x5Large.jpg

UserM4
04-14-2011, 6:54 PM
Click on the photo.

:thumbup:

Ubermcoupe
04-14-2011, 7:32 PM
That's awsome I want one

Ditto!:D

Ingrim
04-14-2011, 9:53 PM
Just a rule of thumb, stay away from using the Clouds / Difference Clouds filter alone on a global edit unless it is enhancing another element in your composition. Other than that, great job on masking out the brass.

Also, careful when stroking type, if you decide a stroke is needed, try other options than the default black that PS gives you, and try stroking 'inside' instead of 'outside', notice the 'outside' stroke rounds the corners instead of staying true to the actual font face.

Iggy
04-15-2011, 9:33 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys!

Just a rule of thumb, stay away from using the Clouds / Difference Clouds filter alone on a global edit unless it is enhancing another element in your composition. Other than that, great job on masking out the brass.

Also, careful when stroking type, if you decide a stroke is needed, try other options than the default black that PS gives you, and try stroking 'inside' instead of 'outside', notice the 'outside' stroke rounds the corners instead of staying true to the actual font face.

Thanks for the comments!

The original picture had a really blurry background. I used the clouds to break it up a little. The problem i noticed is PS doesn't let you edit how dense they are, or at least I don't know how too. I wanted the could effect to be more subtle.

For the lettering I did use a stroke, and I noticed it was too big after the fact. I used about a 50% grey with color burn to get that effect. I wanted it to blend in a little more.

I'll keep what you said in mind! I think of photoshop as a tool to help the photo express what it's trying to say and not force it be something else.

SASchnell
04-15-2011, 9:55 AM
I like it.