PDA

View Full Version : Quick Check: C&R Pistols Roster Exempt?

bruss01
04-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Asking both in general if C&R pistols are roster exempt, and then also asking specifically about the YUGOSLAVIAN M57-TOKAREV PISTOL.

It seems to me I remember some C&R pistols being obtainable in CA. Maybe they had some kind of special roster listing? Someone refresh my memory.

Thanks.

hoffmang
04-12-2011, 11:05 AM
The CGF wiki is your friend:

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/The_Safe_Handgun_List

Short answer, C&R handguns are exempt.

-Gene

bruss01
04-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Excellent. I did not know that existed!

I am seeing this part:

Effects

California FFLs may not transfer handguns which are not on the Roster unless the individual or guns or kind of transaction are listed as exceptions.

Current exceptions include:

1. peace officers with official identification;
2. gifts from out-of-state immediate family members (who are defined as parents, grandparents, children and grandchildren only; brothers and other familial relationships are not included);
3. curios and relics;
4. Olympic pistols listed in Penal Code 12132(h)(2);
5. private party transactions (PPT)Penal Code 12132(a) PPT is described in Penal Code 12082;
6. Single shot pistols that meet certain dimensional and other requirements in Penal Code 12133 (a) and (b) and described further below.
7. Single-action revolvers (basically any standard size single-action: Colt, Ruger, Uberti, etc) that fit the following criteria are exempt from the Roster (Penal Code 12133) described further below.

Looks like the Yugo pistols are good to go!

Thanks!

dexter9659
04-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Hoff is correct, however it has been my experience with the DOJ that they like to change the definition of a C&R. A while back we were audited. The agent said "If ammunition is readily available for the handgun, it is not a C&R. Because that is how I interpret it" Hated that woman. She was wrong by federal definition and we knew it.

Feel free to send the DOJ some eye opening legal hate mail on what a C&R handgun is.

C&Rtrader
04-12-2011, 2:32 PM
Hoff is correct, however it has been my experience with the DOJ that they like to change the definition of a C&R. A while back we were audited. The agent said "If ammunition is readily available for the handgun, it is not a C&R. Because that is how I interpret it" Hated that woman. She was wrong by federal definition and we knew it.

Feel free to send the DOJ some eye opening legal hate mail on what a C&R handgun is.

Really? That is awful. I guess she forgot her job was to enforce not to interpret. How did that end up?

Quiet
04-12-2011, 5:59 PM
Here's the PC that states C&R handguns are exempt from the approved list.

Penal Code 12125
(a) Commencing January 1, 2001, any person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state for sale, keeps for sale, offers or exposes for sale, gives, or lends any unsafe handgun shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year.
(b) This section shall not apply to any of the following:
(3) Firearms listed as curios or relics, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations.

Cokebottle
04-12-2011, 6:02 PM
Interesting, because even J&G has a note on their C&R pistols about the roster. I wonder if they just put it on every handgun?

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/c/c-r-guns/p/russian-1895-nagant-revolver%2C-in-7-62-nagant-caliber-/cPath/290/products_id/1059

jtmkinsd
04-12-2011, 7:52 PM
I wonder if they just put it on every handgun?

That would be my guess...they wouldn't want to bother to try and figure it out...not really their responsibility.

Inoxmark
04-12-2011, 8:08 PM
You sure you were not arguing the definition of "antique firearm"?
I've heard this argument regarding firearms made before 1898, this is different from C&R definition which is anything over 50 years old regardless.

12voltguy
04-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Interesting, because even J&G has a note on their C&R pistols about the roster. I wonder if they just put it on every handgun?

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/c/c-r-guns/p/russian-1895-nagant-revolver%2C-in-7-62-nagant-caliber-/cPath/290/products_id/1059

I was about to post this same question on these guns
So I can buy them, cool
always wanted one or two;)