PDA

View Full Version : By making a a registered pre-ban AR-15 current CA compliant can it be transferred?

Alpha-Leader
04-12-2011, 11:00 AM
OLD...

Librarian
04-12-2011, 11:07 AM
The major issue is exactly what is stamped onto the lowers.

If they're Colt AR-15, for example, they're 'named' and cannot ever be un-'assault weapons'; see the flowchart ( http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf - the link is at the top of the page all the time ) for the list.

If the guns are NOT banned by name, then they can be modified so they do not meet the SB23 'features'.

Alpha-Leader
04-12-2011, 11:14 AM
old..

Rekrab
04-12-2011, 11:26 AM
There are a lot of very high quality OLLs on the market. I understand wanting to keep things original, but there's really no reason to knock the OLL market just because you've seen some that "seem" cheap. If you want to match the finish on your dad's Colt upper that might be trickier.

motorwerks
04-12-2011, 11:44 AM
Thats what I was afraid of... The problem is no one even seems to try to make quality CA lowers...from what I have seen everything seems extremely cheap and made just for novelty for the Call Of Duty crowd or something....Are there any CA legal lowers that are basically identical to the old Armalite/Colt/Bushmasters?

MOST of the OLL are good quality.

dieselpower
04-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Thats what I was afraid of... The problem is no one even seems to try to make quality CA lowers...from what I have seen everything seems extremely cheap and made just for novelty for the Call Of Duty crowd or something....Are there any CA legal lowers that are basically identical to the old Armalite/Colt/Bushmasters?

I am sure I am not the only person to tell you this.... you need to research this a little more. There are DOZENS of quality non-CA AW lowers in the market place right now. There are in fact only three I can think of that are of lower quality then Colt.

The fact is a Colt lower can be non-standard and therefore will not swap with a standard mil-spec lower. Colt cornered the market on "civilian" grade designs. Some Colts are so designed they are novelty items and not used for more then wall hangers. I would not use one of these Colt lowers due to the strange non-standard pins and springs needed to get them to function properly. If I had one, it would be a safe queen for display.

Good luck on your search.

Alpha-Leader
04-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Really? Probably have just been looking in the wrong places then... I am in SoCal, what places or websites do you guys recommend? I heard Ammo Brothers in Ontario is good but I am actually in Santa Monica so its quite a drive for me.

dieselpower
04-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Really? Probably have just been looking in the wrong places then... I am in SoCal, what places or websites do you guys recommend? I heard Ammo Brothers in Ontario is good but I am actually in Santa Monica so its quite a drive for me.

Riflegear is where most offer to get good items. He's in tustin near Fry's electronics I think. He will be along shortly to help you.

There are other places. I would avoid large chain stores. the smaller mom&pop stores carry the best gear since they can not afford to waste time with crap.

If you were up north in Ventura I could help more.

Rekrab
04-12-2011, 12:08 PM

There's also an Ammo Bros in Cerritos. In fact, that's the original Ammo Bros.

Other local shops:
Faith Armory
T&A Armory (Santa Ana)
Straightline Tactical (Anaheim)
Rifle Gear (Costa Mesa)

dieselpower
04-12-2011, 12:10 PM
the deal is to get into a store and NOT deal with a website, unless you are going to drive to the store after you place your order. Ordering from Florida, shipping to Your FFL, paying the shipping, fees and crap isn't worth it. Just buy whats on the shelf.

BCM, DD, Stag, Spikes, LaRue, SunDevil, JP, Aero, CMMG are all good. There are dozens more...

PatriotnMore
04-12-2011, 12:11 PM
There are a lot of very high quality OLLs on the market. I understand wanting to keep things original, but there's really no reason to knock the OLL market just because you've seen some that "seem" cheap. If you want to match the finish on your dad's Colt upper that might be trickier.

K.D. (Kaiser Defense) in San Diego, IMO makes quality CA lowers. I own one and they fit tight to my upper, designed to mill spec, and are made from quality aluminum.

motorwerks
04-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Heres a fun list I stole from M4Carbine....

Lewis Machine & Tool
LMT
Lauer
DS Arms
PWA
Eagle
Armalite
Knights Armament
Barrett
Continental Machine Tool
Stag
Rock River Arms
High Standard
Noveske
Century (New)
Global Tactical
CLE
S&W
MGI
Wilson Tactical
Grenadier Precision
Colt
LAR Manufacturing
LAR
Bushmaster
Ameetec
DPMS
CMMG
Double Star
Fulton Armory
Spike's Tactical
JVP
Double Star
LRB
Charles Daly
Mega Machine Shop
Mega
GSE
Dalphon
POF
Alexander Arms
Olympic
Olympic
SGW
Tromix
Palmetto
Dalphon
Frankford
Century (Old)
Sun Devil
Sun Devil forged billet receivers
Superior
Superior Arms
Lauer (New)

Aero Precision
Aero Precision

-------------------------------------
The above list contains the machine companies that machine the raw forgings into usable receivers. Each individual company applies their own finishing standards.

dieselpower
04-12-2011, 12:14 PM
http://www.riflegear.com/c-94-stripped-lower-receivers.aspx

Alpha-Leader
04-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Thanks guys!

JPZ
04-12-2011, 3:38 PM
I have a Lauer and CMMG, both are wonderful.

The Lauer is a bit tighter.