View Full Version : Nood question about gas route on an AR-15 bolt

Neil McCauley
04-12-2011, 8:37 AM
So I'm checking out this spare AR bolt that I have and I noticed that when the lug is seated in, gas is only allowed to escape around and over the rear of the firing pin. But when the lugs pulled out, gas can also escape through the 2 holes on the right side of the bolt. My question is, what would happen if the gas hole in the bolt was welded up so that no air could foul the bolt, would it have too much blow back? And even if it did, couldn't a stronger buffer fix that? Or better yet, what if the gas just escaped to the rear of the buffer via a strategically calculated hole so that the gas is diverted away from the firing pin/gas rings. That way it only fouls the rear portion of the bolt that has no moving parts. Does this seem like it would work?

04-12-2011, 10:08 AM
I dont know, but nice avatar

04-12-2011, 10:14 AM
The two gas ports are required to vent the pressure OUT of the receiver. No way around that.

If fouling bugs you, get a piston Upper?

04-12-2011, 11:44 AM
I have seen a BCG exactly what you described. It is made by Bushmaster for their Carbon fiber uppers. A buddy of mine showed one to a AR15 gunsmith and he freaked out...LOL He was talking like it would explode in the firearm. If I remember correctly the excess gas is vented out the side at all times. Its been awhile I could be wrong.

Remember the gas directed through the gas key unlocks the bolt and the rest is used to push the BCG rearward. Thats all you need for the action to cycle. As long as you got that covered all the excess can be vented out.