PDA

View Full Version : What Boresight is Worth my Money?

Bogart
04-12-2011, 8:43 AM
Is there a laser or optical boresight that is worth buying? I have a hard time being able to get out and actually sight in my guns. Plus I'm always tweaking with them. So even if they were sighted in, they won't be after a scope/rings/barrel/upper change. So is there a system that works, or should I just wait until I can get out and shoot?

One caveat, I want the sighting system to cost less than 500 rounds of cheap ammo. So less than $100.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

thenaz11c
04-12-2011, 8:58 AM
Short answer: No, save your money for ammo.

After working as a rangemaster for some years and seeing more people than I can count complaining of having their rifle boresighted and still not being able to hit the paper at 50 or 100 yards I have become completely unconvinced that boresighters are anything more than a waste of money. Here are a couple of ways to get the job done on the cheap.

1. Work with a spotter and shoot at a rock or clump of dirt on the backstop berm. Gives plenty of area to see the impact and know what corrections need to be made.

2. Pull your bolt out and look down the barrel. Line the barrel up with the target then look through your sights. Keeping the barrel on the target move your sights to the target. Should be good to get you with in a few inches of where you want the bullet to go with some practice.

Hope this helps.

tenpercentfirearms
04-12-2011, 9:25 AM
I am the worst bore sighter salesman ever. Any gun that you can look down the bore of you should just take it to the range and bore sight it. You take the bolt out, get the rifle on a good rest that doesn't move, and see the target through the bore. Without moving the gun, move the cross hairs until they are on the target. Bore sighted!

It is that easy. The only reason to get a fancy boresighting system is if you are shooing something like an M1A or Mini-14 you can't bore sight.

vern748
04-12-2011, 9:26 AM
Yes, they are worth the money.

Get one like this;
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=OSBS30&src=tpCtg
This kit might be overkill, but the basic unit that sits out the end of the barrel and the correct arbor works great. None of that laser pointer bla bla bla. For $20, you cant go wrong. It will get you onto the paper every time.

CSACANNONEER
04-12-2011, 9:30 AM
I won't waste time or money on a laser boresighter. I don't even really like to use optical ones. It's so EASY to just boresight most firearms that I don't see a need for a special tool. Besides, even without boresighting, it only takes one shot to properly zero optics at any distance.

E_Shaw90
04-12-2011, 9:31 AM
Leupold Zero Point....they are light on the in package directions...but will get you on paper before you leave the house and fire a single round....a few shots to account for the rifle and scope alignment and you are GTG. Very handy to also check your zero at the start of a hunting season or range trip

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=675745

CSACANNONEER
04-12-2011, 9:33 AM
Leupold Zero Point....they are light on the in package directions...but will get you very close....a few shots and you are GTG. Very handy to also check your zero at the start of a hunting season or range trip

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=675745

Then why bother? It only takes ONE shot for me to zero newly mounted optics without using any type of boresighter. OK, I usually take a second shot, fine tune and a third to confirm. But, I don't see the need for a special tool when it is not needed.

Bug Splat
04-12-2011, 9:55 AM
Then why bother? It only takes ONE shot for me to zero newly mounted optics without using any type of boresighter. OK, I usually take a second shot, fine tune and a third to confirm. But, I don't see the need for a special tool when it is not needed.

+1

Waste of money. Eye down the bore and set your cross hair to that point and fire a test shot. I'm usually within a couple inches every time with this method. adjust your scope turrets accordingly and you are done.

E_Shaw90
04-12-2011, 10:08 AM

You make yourself out to be an expert at everything you post on CG.....it must be nice to have your superior brain power...touched by the hand of god you must be...ever think he/she may not know what you are talking about...or maybe they are looking for tool that can assist them? Maybe they cant make it to the range as much as they would like...or as easily as you can...however most of us common folk like to see whats out there and gather information on what others like to use and have had success using. The poster asked for suggestions and I offered one that I use and it WORKS well for me. OP sorry to thread crap...

b76
04-12-2011, 10:13 AM
How many yards are u guys talking about. 50-100?

Bogart
04-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Keep in mind this would be for an ar-15 which I can't look down the bore of. Hmm...unless I take the upper off the lower and then remove the bolt. I'll have to give that a try.

Legasat
04-12-2011, 10:19 AM
I have never read anything good about boresighters.

ir0nclash86
04-12-2011, 10:25 AM
1. Work with a spotter and shoot at a rock or clump of dirt on the backstop berm. Gives plenty of area to see the impact and know what corrections need to be made.

This is the method I use except I don't use a spotter. I've actually completely zeroed my rifle numerous times this way.

BigBamBoo
04-12-2011, 10:48 AM

CSACANNONEER
04-12-2011, 2:48 PM
You make yourself out to be an expert at everything you post on CG.....it must be nice to have your superior brain power...touched by the hand of god you must be...ever think he/she may not know what you are talking about...or maybe they are looking for tool that can assist them? Maybe they cant make it to the range as much as they would like...or as easily as you can...however most of us common folk like to see whats out there and gather information on what others like to use and have had success using. The poster asked for suggestions and I offered one that I use and it WORKS well for me. OP sorry to thread crap...

So it works for you but, have you ever tried to boresite or zero optics without it? It's SUPER easy to do and doesn't cost a cent. So, is paying any amount for a tool worth it when it is actually easier to zero optics without using a tool? Yea, I have tried different boresighters and have wasted a lot of money on them. The OP asked for a recommendation for one that is worth the money. I don't see how spending a penny on one is money well spent. But, I have an open mind and am willing to learn why you feel that the one you use is worth the cost. Do you really save money on ammo if it takes you a "few shots" to be zeroed? Not using one, I am zeroed at the distance I am going to be shooting at in 3 shots too. Where is the savings?

As far as your perception of me, I'm truely sorry if you think I come off that way. I will say that I have always accepted correction or critisism here as constructive critisism (SP?, for some reason I'm too dumb to get the spell check to work on my work computer). I have LEARNED a lot from this forum as well as the 35 years of participation in different kinds of shooting sports including hunting, trap, metalic silloutte, 1000 yard bench rest, IDPA, etc. All I'm trying to do is give something back to this forum and shooting sports in general. I'm open to listening to your ideas of how I can better do so without offending you or anyone else.

Paul_R
04-12-2011, 3:10 PM
I can't argue with the effectiveness of the old fashioned look down the bore method. It just works.

I like gadgets and there's something cool about boresighting across the garage and being within 2"- 4" at 100 yards. That's pretty typical with my SiteLite.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=332264

mif_slim
04-12-2011, 3:24 PM
If it's AR lots of them already said it. The best bore sighting tool is your dominant eye. ;)

But the lazer one and the scope one has worked for me in the past. Especially when hunting and you don't want to check zero by firing off a round. Just remember where your gun zero and where the tool points to and mark it. Using the acope type bore sighting tool my hunting rifles zero 1 square(1") low, 1 square(1"). So when check zero that's where I want my cross hair to be. Worked for 7 now.

mocos
04-12-2011, 3:52 PM
I have the same unit and I have never gotten that close....more like 10" at 50yds...which certainly helps where you can't eyeball it through the bore itself..i.e. garands, m14s 10/22s lever actions... the alternative is send a round at 10yards adjust, move back and repeat it again until you've reached the distance you want it zeroed at.... there is value to having such a gadget...along with all the other gadgets that gunners collect. fwiw

I can't argue with the effectiveness of the old fashioned look down the bore method. It just works.

I like gadgets and there's something cool about boresighting across the garage and being within 2"- 4" at 100 yards. That's pretty typical with my SiteLite.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=332264

ubet
04-12-2011, 4:04 PM

I dont know csa, but from reading his posts, he knows what he is talking about with rifles.

Op, no, dont get a laser boresighter, its an expensive useless widget/paper weight. I can zero a rifle in less than ten rounds and that includes a 5shot group to confirm @100yds. You dont learn your gun by using ridiculous **** like a boresighter, you learn your gun, by firing it, and that includes zeroing it.

Get on paper at 25yds, move your poi to poa. Go to 100yds, fire, move your poi to poa, fire adjust if necesarry. With in 2 rds @ 100yds you should be on, let the gun cool. Fire one more shot, adjust again, then fire a 5 round string to confirm, its not rocket science. Dont waste money on crap like that, buy ammo with it and go shoot.

Paul_R
04-12-2011, 4:15 PM
I have the same unit and I have never gotten that close....more like 10" at 50yds...

Just curious, is it always off in the same direction? I'd be pissed...

Rekrab
04-12-2011, 4:28 PM
I really need to learn proper bore sighting. Last time I tried it it really didn't work out so well for me.

negolien
04-12-2011, 4:50 PM

LOL thought you'd be used to this seeing as it's the norm not an aboration here ROFL :<).... I recently tried a Borsighter using the adaptor you stick down the barrel. In short waste of money bigtime. Wish I would have had a camera to take a picture of the look on my face when the adaptor came off and got stuck in the barrel of my AR. Save you money and just start at 25 yards if you can't hit the target at 25 try 10 LOL eventually you're on paper and have a place to start.

seronian
04-12-2011, 5:01 PM
bought a laser boresight to make a long story short my kids now use it for our dog damm thing loves to chase that laser dot lol....but yes i like and used the old look inside the barrel method it works!

Peter W Bush
04-12-2011, 5:11 PM

Boresighters for most of the rifles people own here are a waste of money. Maybe the OP should learn how to sight in without one so he can save the money for ammo or other stuff. CSA usually knows what he is talking about and he has personally helped me with a good amount of stuff. He is spot on in this thread.

mocos
04-12-2011, 5:14 PM
it varies when using the boresighter for a couple of reasons:

If through a muzzle brake, the brake may not be concentric with the bore. I rotate the laser to see if the projected dot moves (distance from muzzle to target is about 20') sometimes this hard to tell because the dot flouresces and really doesn't have definable edges. This should get you on paper at say 25" either with iron or glass sights. Adjust and move back ..do it again..

If it is a new unfamiliar gun, its' recoil and how it is held /supported will affect where it impacts so a consistent hold and trigger control is is important, particularly as the distance you shoot increases.

If you are bore sighting a scoped long arm you have to take into account the mechanical hold over. If your scope is 2" over the bore you would be adjusting the sights to a point 2" above the laser dot. Again, start close and move back accordingly..

Just curious, is it always off in the same direction? I'd be pissed...

corporateslave
04-12-2011, 8:10 PM
I have a cabelas one that cost me around $50. It's not necessary by any means but I do a lot of work on my guns and it's a nice way to be lazy. It has put numerous rifles on paper at 100 yards and is nice for handguns as well. My local range doesn't allow gunsmithing on site, so for handguns with sights that aren't adjustable and need to be hammered in there aren't a lot of options. I also own 3 rifles where looking down the barrel is not an option, so when I'm swapping sights or optics around it comes in handy.

I have also used it a little bit for drills with the handguns as well.

It's usefulness depends on your situation. I think if you will use it frequently and you aren't broke or an elitist it is worth it. If it's something you are going to buy and then use twice it's not.

Bogart
04-12-2011, 8:42 PM
Well I sighted down the bore tonight. Next time I get to the range I'll let you know how close it got me, but I feel like it should be on the paper now. Thanks for the advice everyone.

smittty
04-12-2011, 11:03 PM
I used to have the Leupold Zero Point and it works pretty well. If you have a rifle that you often R&R the scope then it's worthwhile gadget to check zero without firing a shot. If you had an AR with QD scope I could see one of these in you kit.

I sold mine because I didn't have a use for it anymore.