PDA

View Full Version : Switching out the bull barrel on my AR15

durden-gsr
04-12-2011, 12:08 AM
Hey,

I was hoping to get some info from you guys on switching out the bull barrel on my AR. Ive taken the handguards off and tried to find any marking that might help me sell it and have found it to be completely unmarked, can't even find a marking identifying twist rate. Any help in that area would be greatly appreciated. Also as far as installing a new barrel, I really want to make this thing as light as I can after lugging around 9lbs for the past year when I shoot it. Any suggestions there? Also, when having a new barrel installed anyone have general estimates on what the armorers fee's will be like? Any and all information and input is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Kyle

7.62 Charlie
04-12-2011, 12:20 AM
Brownells has videos on how to change out AR-15 barrels

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/learn/

Reductio
04-12-2011, 12:56 AM
My honest suggestion? Just buy a new upper.

durden-gsr
04-12-2011, 1:04 AM
I was hoping to save some money by not switching out the entire upper. If it is really that much of a pain I guess I should start saving though. Hopefully I'll be able to get some funds out of selling the old one.

SJgunguy24
04-12-2011, 1:22 AM
How much do you expect to save by selling the barrel? The bolt should go with that barrel, since the bolt and lugs are matched. Just sell the entire thing or have the barrel chopped and reprofiled, you could probably cut 40% of that weight with a profile job for less then.a new barrel.

durden-gsr
04-12-2011, 1:59 AM
Wow I never even considered that option. Sounds like that's the best course of action. Any suggestions on profiles?

rareair
04-12-2011, 6:45 AM
Besides barrel, you'll also need to buy a new gas block to fit the new barrel diameter.

ChrisRL
04-12-2011, 9:28 AM
PM'd you.