PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Knife Carry Legal in CA?

mrvash
04-12-2011, 12:04 AM
Just like the title states; is it legal to conceal carry a knife in the state of California?

Thanks.

Dangerpin
04-12-2011, 12:11 AM
Depends on the type of knife, the length of the knife and to some degree-where in CA you plan on carrying. Dagger and Dirk types are illegal to carry concealed.

Can you give us some more specifics?

Norsemen308
04-12-2011, 12:11 AM
as long as the blade is 3 inch and shorter your good.

Norsemen308
04-12-2011, 12:12 AM
i was talking pocket knife..

AndrewMendez
04-12-2011, 12:13 AM
This should probably answer ever question you have.

http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw/knifelaw.html

ETA:

/thread

ke6guj
04-12-2011, 12:17 AM
as long as the blade is 3 inch and shorter your good.incorrect. there is no state law that prohibits me from carrying a 3+" folder concealed. there might be some city or county laws that differ on that.

more info here: http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw/knifelaw.html
edit: too slow :D

Turo
04-12-2011, 12:18 AM
COMPLETELY WRONG! DO NOT FOLLOW THIS ADVICE.

To the OP:
Folding knives are okay to carry concealed as per CA penal code. It does not matter the length, if it folds, and is carried folded, you are good to go with concealed carry. If your knife is a fixed blade, or a folder locked into the open position, it is a FELONY to carry it concealed, it does not matter the length.

AndrewMendez' link is a good one, and Mr. March has good suggestions, but even that site doesn't explain every aspect of the CA penal code pertaining to knives.

louisianagirl
04-12-2011, 12:43 AM
los angeles municipal code actually prohibits open carry of folders... don't wear it clipped to your pocket... keep it concealed inside your pocket...

Los Angeles Codes online

http://www.amlegal.com/los_angeles_ca/

Los Angeles Municipal Code

SEC. 55.10. CARRY KNIVES OR DAGGERS IN PLAIN VIEW PROHIBITED.
(Added by Ord. No. 162,995, Eff. 1/7/88.)

(a) As used in this section, the term knife or dagger shall include any knife, dirk or dagger having a blade 3 inches or more in length, any ice pick or similar sharp tool, any straight edge razor or any razor blade fitted to a handle.

(b) No person shall wear or carry in plain view any knife or dagger upon any public street or other public place or in any place open to the public.

(c) The prohibitions of this section shall not apply where a person is wearing or carrying a knife or dagger for use in a lawful occupation, for lawful recreational purposes, or as a recognized religious practice, or while the person is traveling to or returning from participation in such activity.

Librarian
04-12-2011, 12:52 AM
And another collection of knife laws is here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=2289918&postcount=6

mrvash
04-12-2011, 1:04 AM
Thanks for the wonderful and timely responses everyone, I highly appreciate it! on another note, anyone know where I can order a nice, cheap, quality and decent sized folder for concealed carry?

InGrAM
04-12-2011, 1:31 AM
Somewhat wrong.

COMPLETELY WRONG! DO NOT FOLLOW THIS ADVICE.

To the OP:
Folding knives are okay to carry concealed as per CA penal code. It does not matter the length, if it folds, and is carried folded, you are good to go with concealed carry. If your knife is a fixed blade, or a folder locked into the open position, it is a FELONY to carry it concealed, it does not matter the length.

AndrewMendez' link is a good one, and Mr. March has good suggestions, but even that site doesn't explain every aspect of the CA penal code pertaining to knives.

....? Do you mean permanently locked open? Because most folding knifes "lock" open

InGrAM
04-12-2011, 1:34 AM
Thanks for the wonderful and timely responses everyone, I highly appreciate it! on another note, anyone know where I can order a nice, cheap, quality and decent sized folder for concealed carry?

Don't buy anything cheap. A knife is a tool and the most expensive tool you can buy is a cheap one.

I use a kershaw vapor. I have 3 and they are all wonderful knifes for anything. Including self defense.

ke6guj
04-12-2011, 1:35 AM
....? Do you mean permanently locked open? Because most folding knifes "lock" open

he means that if you have a folder that you have locked open while in your pocket (while trying not to cut yourself), that it is considered a concealed dirk or dagger, and is illegal. he is not talking about a knife that is permanennly locked open to create a "fixed" blade.

InGrAM
04-12-2011, 1:38 AM
he means that if you have a folder that you have locked open while in your pocket (while trying not to cut yourself), that it is considered a concealed dirk or dagger, and is illegal. he is not talking about a knife that is permanennly locked open to create a "fixed" blade.

Oh ok. Thanks for clearing that up. Pretty stupid to keep a folding knife with the blade locked open. lol

mrvash
04-12-2011, 1:44 AM
Don't buy anything cheap. A knife is a tool and the most expensive tool you can buy is a cheap one.

I use a kershaw vapor. I have 3 and they are all wonderful knifes for anything. Including self defense.

Would you like to sell me one? :)

InGrAM
04-12-2011, 2:17 AM

They are all used hard.

Lol, They range from about $40 to $200. If I was you I would buy a new one.

But even their cheaper knifes are quality. (in my experience at least)

noob_tube
04-12-2011, 2:36 AM

You should give the Kershaw Tanto Blur a try. Good knife for less than $60. You can find that particular model at most wallimarts. :)

aklover_91
04-12-2011, 2:39 AM
In a nutshell, carrying a switch blade or a butter fly knife on your person is illegal.

You can conceal a folding knife, but a fixed blade knife must be worn openly.

Paladin
04-12-2011, 6:39 AM
OP, you sound like someone who should also know about www.kniferights.org

While many cities have restrictions on knives, of the half-dozen counties in NorCal I cked out, none of them did.

Personally, I like the Griptilians, Mini or regular depending upon what county/ies I'll be in. Per the link in my sig line re self-defense advice, I prefer a SS blade (not blacked), and non-black scales/grips/handles -- these don't change performance, but may influence jurors. They've even got ones w/pink handles for the ladies: http://www.benchmade.com/products/55X-PNK

markw
04-12-2011, 7:30 AM
This is my edc http://www.crkt.com/M2102 AUS8 blade and it opens like butter. You can find them on ebay for around 50 bucks. I also have a "tanto" blade M16 but while it looks cool, I'm finding a Tanto blade doesn't work as well. http://www.youtube.com/user/nutnfancy has a ton of knife reviews.

Decoligny
04-12-2011, 8:09 AM
Any fixed blade knife, or any folder with the blade in the open position is considered a "dirk or dagger" and as such CANNOT be carried concealed.

Any knife that opens with just the push of a button is a switchblade and if the blade is longer than 2", it is illegal to carry on your person, or in the passenger compartment of a vehicle. Butterfly knives are considered swithblades due to case law.

Local ordinances vary from county to county and even from city to city. Know where you are and what local laws apply to knife carry. In LA County you cannot carry exposed, any knife with a blade of 3" or longer.

Currently I know of no local ordinances that restrict the length of any closed folding knife carried concealed, with the exeption of the entire set of laws dealing with carrying knives on school property, and that's another whole complicated mess.

JeepFreak
04-12-2011, 8:33 AM
x5 or whatever for Kershaws. I've got several - my favorite brand. Ken Onion's designs rock if you like assisted opening. Otherwise, I love my RAM. Check out "KershawGuy" on BladeForum for factory seconds (small cosmetic scratches and discolorations). I got my RAM from him and was very pleased!
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/797530-Kershaw-Factory-Blem-amp-some-NIB
Good luck!
Billy

Cobrafreak
04-12-2011, 9:15 AM
This is a funny related incident that happened to my friend. He (as well as I) has a 3 inch folder with a clip on it. We wear it in our front pocket with the clip on the outside of the pants. Been doing this for years. My friend goes to NY city on vacation and he almost gets arrested at a subway station for having a "concealed weapon". He asked "how did you know I had a knife"? The officer said, "I saw the knife clip". My friend replied, "so then it was not concealed because you knew I had it, right"? The officer said , "no, the main body of the knife has to be in full sight". They let him off with a warning and took his personal info. Different world over there.

Ratboy
04-12-2011, 10:38 AM
I did not know that about LA... really glad I do now to prevent me getting in trouble when I go visit.

MoeSizslak
04-12-2011, 10:47 AM

Kershaw Leek. Light, affordable, one-handed operation, very sharp. :43:

mnishimura00
04-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Go pick yourself up a baby switchblade. Under CA law, a spring assisted knife is not considered a switchblade if the blade is less than 2 inches long. There are websites that cater to CA and will sell 'switchblades'. I picked up a 1.9 in blade 'switchblade' that I used to carry when in the shop to open boxes, etc and also doubled as a defensive item.

newglockster
04-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Does anyone know a website or store where you like to order/buy 1.9" switchblades? Thanks!

ubet
04-12-2011, 12:18 PM
one stop knife shop should have them, knives ship free, etc.

On the knife to get, emerson with the wave. I have a comander and love it, fast, smooth opening, and scary sharp!

JDay
04-12-2011, 12:19 PM

Nope, just it has to be a closed folder, no max length.

http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw/knifelaw.html

EDIT: I see I'm about 12 hours late.

Turo
04-12-2011, 12:29 PM
In a nutshell, carrying a switch blade or a butter fly knife on your person is illegal.
This is incorrect. For a switchblade to be carried, it may not have a blade greater than 2 inches. But you may carry one. In fact, I carry one every day, it's a handy little bugger.

You can conceal a folding knife, but a fixed blade knife must be worn openly.
This part is true.

newglockster
04-12-2011, 4:04 PM
ok this is dumb but i gotta know... is a butterfly knife a switch blade?

ubet
04-12-2011, 4:10 PM
remember, felony for concealing a fixed blade, misdemeanor for concealing a loaded pistol

IDPA4U
04-12-2011, 4:45 PM
los angeles municipal code actually prohibits open carry of folders... don't wear it clipped to your pocket... keep it concealed inside your pocket...

Los Angeles Codes online

(a) As used in this section, the term knife or dagger shall include any knife, dirk or dagger having a blade 3 inches or more in length, any ice pick or similar sharp tool, any straight edge razor or any razor blade fitted to a handle.

(b) No person shall wear or carry in plain view any knife or dagger upon any public street or other public place or in any place open to the public.

(c) The prohibitions of this section shall not apply where a person is wearing or carrying a knife or dagger for use in a lawful occupation, for lawful recreational purposes, or as a recognized religious practice, or while the person is traveling to or returning from participation in such activity.

For those who are in LA often and wish to carry a good knife clipped in their pocket, I find this is a great choice:
http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=EM7MBBTW

vinson
04-12-2011, 5:10 PM
Cold Steel Rajah 1 is my edc and love every inch of it.

Quiet
04-12-2011, 7:03 PM

CA considers it the same.

Penal Code 653k
Every person who possesses in the passenger's or driver's area of any motor vehicle in any public place or place open to the public, carries upon his or her person, and every person who sells, offers for sale, exposes for sale, loans, transfers, or gives to any other person a switchblade knife having a blade two or more inches in length is guilty of a misdemeanor.
For the purposes of this section, "switchblade knife" means a knife having the appearance of a pocketknife, and includes a spring-blade knife, snap-blade knife, gravity knife or any other similar type knife, the blade or blades of which are two or more inches in length and which can be released automatically by a flick of a button, pressure on the handle, flip of the wrist or other mechanical device, or is released by the weight of the blade or by any type of mechanism whatsoever. "Switchblade knife" does not include a knife that opens with one hand utilizing thumb pressure applied solely to the blade of the knife or a thumb stud attached to the blade, provided that the knife has a detent or other mechanism that provides resistance that must be overcome in opening the blade, or that biases the blade back toward its closed position.
For purposes of this section, "passenger's or driver's area" means that part of a motor vehicle which is designed to carry the driver and passengers, including any interior compartment or space therein.

thomashoward
04-13-2011, 9:12 AM

Considered a gravity knife,

aklover_91
04-13-2011, 9:49 AM
Considered a gravity knife, a Benchmade axis lock could also be considered a gravity knife.
The best advise I have heard is if an officer asks you to open your knife
USE TWO HANDS

Butterfly knives are counted as examples in the switchblade provision of the PC

Decoligny
04-13-2011, 12:17 PM
Go pick yourself up a baby switchblade. Under CA law, a spring assisted knife is not considered a switchblade if the blade is less than 2 inches long. There are websites that cater to CA and will sell 'switchblades'. I picked up a 1.9 in blade 'switchblade' that I used to carry when in the shop to open boxes, etc and also doubled as a defensive item.

You are confusing two issues here.

Switchblade and Spring Assist are two totally different animals.

You can legally have a spring assisted folder of any length carried concealed in you pocket. As long as the button on the knife does not actually open the blade, then it is not a switchblade. If you touch the button and the blade pops open, it is a switchblade, and you are limited to a blade under 2".

I have a Gerber Spring Assist knife with a 3.5" blade. The button on the handle only unlocks the blade. I have to use my thumb to move the blade the first 1/4" or so until the spring takes over and snaps it open. This is perfectly legal.

mej16489
04-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Considered a gravity knife, a Benchmade axis lock could also be considered a gravity knife.
The best advise I have heard is if an officer asks you to open your knife
USE TWO HANDS

Every Axis lock Benchmade I own (6 or 7?) "has a detent or other mechanism that provides resistance that must be overcome in opening the blade, or that biases the blade back toward its closed position"

Andy Taylor
04-13-2011, 1:24 PM

Los Angeles Codes online

Wish I would have known that in Feb. I carried my folder clipped to my pocket all over LA. No-one said anything. Got lucky I guess.

Andy Taylor
04-13-2011, 1:28 PM
Does anyone know a website or store where you like to order/buy 1.9" switchblades? Thanks!

Wild Bills Old West Trading Post in Elk Grove

MoBait
04-13-2011, 4:34 PM
I carry a Spyderco Pacific Salt. The blade is just under 4" and the H1 steel is practically rust proof. I have worn it for over a year with probably 30 days use on a fishing boat with exposure to a lot of salt. Never washed the salt off and it is still rust free. I use it practically everyday and with a little honing on a steel it is still sharp enough to shave hair. The tip is not great for stabbing but I don't expect to do much stabbing in a defensive situation. The main reason I carry it everyday is that I have modified the thumb hole. I have tied a couple pieces of paracord to it so when I remove it at an angle from my pocket it flips open making it a very fast knife to use. Does not require fine motor skills in a high adrenaline situation. You could search youtube for zip tie spyderco to see how it works.

As far as CA law. There is no regulation on a folded pocket knife being concealed. I have had both SDPD and DFG pull my spyderco from my pocket and didn't say anything about it. As far as fixed blades go, The entire sheath must be visible. SDPD saw my KaBar Bowie in my door panel and didn't say anything negative about it. Switch blades and gravity knives are illegal to carry if the blade is 2" or greater. Local laws vary, so check those as well.

With a defensive knife, make sure that the thumb ramp and the under side where your fingers wrap around are pronounced enough to prevent your hand from sliding up the blade.

Watch Nutnfancy's videos on youtube.

And as a side note, I unintentionally snuck a 3.5 inch CRKT that was in my pocket onto a commercial plane a few years ago. I realized it was on me when I was claiming my bags. Just be aware of where you are carrying to avoid a potential detention.

resident-shooter
04-13-2011, 5:33 PM
As long as it is not sharp, and you are inside your home, you are good. Don't bring one to public. Keep californians safe.

JK folding knifes are good to go.

MoBait
04-13-2011, 6:52 PM
As long as it is not sharp, and you are inside your home, you are good. Don't bring one to public. Keep californians safe.

JK folding knifes are good to go.

I always leave my dull knives at home lol

Kid Stanislaus
04-13-2011, 8:15 PM

Understand this, "cheap" and "quality" should never be used in the same sentence or uttered with the same breath of air. If you want quality then be pepared to pony up. If you can't afford it then put your money into a savings account and add to it on a regular basis until you have enough to buy a quality item. ;)

Kid Stanislaus
04-13-2011, 8:18 PM
In a nutshell, carrying a switch blade or a butter fly knife on your person is illegal. You can conceal a folding knife, but a fixed blade knife must be worn openly.

That goes for most of CA but local laws may vary, check out your local laws before carrying a knife over 3" whether a folder or fixed. Hell, the 3" part may be off the mark for all I know!:rolleyes:

Librarian
04-13-2011, 9:06 PM
That goes for most of CA but local laws may vary, check out your local laws before carrying a knife over 3" whether a folder or fixed. Hell, the 3" part may be off the mark for all I know!:rolleyes:

Other than on school grounds and switchblades, length is not usually an issue - no state-level limitations.

sfwdiy
04-13-2011, 9:35 PM

Los Angeles Codes online

I've had a folding knife clipped to my pocket every day for the last eleven years in Los Angeles. I once had a cop ask me if I was happy with the knife I happened to be carrying with me that day, but that's about it.

I can tell you from personal experience that this is one of the least-enforced city codes in existence.

--B

ggod408
04-14-2011, 3:48 AM
Spyderco Military is my favorite EDC. Rajah 2 for for nights out...

edlegault
04-14-2011, 11:24 AM
My family members (all adults) often (daily for some) come and go to K-12 schools and college campuses. It looks like a folder blade is allowed if 2.5 inches or less. Any good recommendations?

Markinsac
04-14-2011, 2:03 PM
Make sure to check Penal Code 171(b)(a)(3)

171b. (a) Any person who brings or possesses within any state or
local public building or at any meeting required to be open to the
public pursuant to Chapter 9 (commencing with Section 54950) of Part
1 of Division 2 of Title 5 of, or Article 9 (commencing with Section
11120) of Chapter 1 of Part 1 of Division 3 of Title 2 of, the
Government Code, any of the following is guilty of a public offense
punishable by imprisonment in a county jail for not more than one
year, or in the state prison:
(1) Any firearm.
(2) Any deadly weapon described in Section 653k or 12020.
(3) Any knife with a blade length in excess of four inches, the
blade of which is fixed or is capable of being fixed in an unguarded
position by the use of one or two hands.
(There is more - I'm just giving the part that is involved in this discussion).

So, if you're carrying a longer knife, don't walk into any state or local government buildings.

Decoligny
04-14-2011, 2:42 PM
My family members (all adults) often (daily for some) come and go to K-12 schools and college campuses. It looks like a folder blade is allowed if 2.5 inches or less. Any good recommendations?

Any under 2.5" knife that isn't a locking folder.

Probably something like this:

http://www.clker.com/cliparts/b/a/9/2/11970998861389246210uliphant_Swiss_Army_Knife.svg. hi.png

626.10. (a) (1) Any person, except a duly appointed peace officer
as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of
Part 2, a full-time paid peace officer of another state or the
federal government who is carrying out official duties while in this
state, a person summoned by any officer to assist in making arrests
or preserving the peace while the person is actually engaged in
assisting any officer, or a member of the military forces of this
state or the United States who is engaged in the performance of his
or her duties, who brings or possesses any dirk, dagger, ice pick,
knife having a blade longer than 2 1/2 inches, folding knife with a
blade that locks into place, razor with an unguarded blade, taser, or
stun gun, as defined in subdivision (a) of Section 244.5, any