PDA

View Full Version : Rifle PPT

08duramax
04-11-2011, 11:38 PM
I had a question about doing a PPT on a rifle. I am buying a M1A from a friend but we live in different areas. I know I have to go through a FFL to do the transfer. I was curious, is it legal for my friend to go into the FFL and do his part of the paperwork, then i go in a few days later to complete my part and start the the DROS and 10 day wait? I have called a few local dealers and they all say both parties must be present. But, I know most dealers dont know the law since most were committing misdemeanors by vcharging more than $35 for the PPT.

On a side note, Riverside Gun Co basically told me they dont do PPTs and I should go to Turners to do the transfer. What a POS. Do your job.

tenpercentfirearms
04-12-2011, 6:38 AM
It actually isn't illegal if the friend takes the rifle in and drops it off and signs a DROS worksheet and then you come in a few days later and start it. However, that is more work for the FFL and it might be a chore finding an FFL to do it.

You might just want to search out a cheaper source for a FFL transfer and just do it that way. Then you can do it closer to your home and you don't have to worry about that part.

You might also be able to convince a knowledgeable FFL that instead of doing the DROS worksheet, to just charge you the $35 and just do the PPT as a regular transfer so they don't even have to bother with the signature. On long guns I figured that out a long time ago. I actually do less paperwork treating it as a transfer than as a PPT, so why not just only charge the customer the $35 and they also have the option of adding other guns onto the sale as well.

08duramax
04-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Anyone else?

tenpercentfirearms
04-12-2011, 11:44 AM
Anyone else?

Anyone else what? That is the way it is. ;)